slug.com slug.com

4 3

While I have no qualms with privatized worker unions (for the most part anyway), I don't think those who make their living off of the taxpayers should be able to unionize.

It's time to bust police unions-
[reason.com]

In 2018, as a gunman murdered 17 students at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, Sgt. Brian Miller, a sheriff's deputy with the Broward County Sheriff's Office, hid behind his police cruiser, waiting 10 minutes to radio for help. For his failure to act, Miller was fired. The official cause was "neglect of duty."

Last month, however, Miller was not only reinstated but given full back pay. His 2017 salary was more than $138,000. Miller had challenged his firing, and, as The Miami Herald reports, he had done so with the full backing of his union.

SpikeTalon 10 June 3

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You have made some reasonable points about Public Servive Ubions but missed others. I was a UK Civil Servant (Manpower Sevices Commission, Dept of Employment, Dept of Education) for over 25 years, so I am aware about the other side of the coin.

For years our raises to our salaries were held down by politicians while the average wages and salaries rises in the UK were much higher. The politicians received the same pay rises as us BUT after three or four years would start to whine that they were underpaid and give just themselves a whopping pay rise. No extra for Civil Servants like me. The Union officials for much of the time were ineffective and would be given a couple of promotions and subsequently leave the union. The politicians and very senior Civil Servants had it mostly all sown up. The Union though often ineffective was the only thing that prevented the junior staff from being totally stitched up and screwed over

N.B the terms and conditions I received when I joined the UK Civil Service had been brought in response to them literally not being able to recruit anyone in the early 1950s, because the pay and conditions were so poor. Many of these terms and conditions introduced in the 1950s have now been abolished or severely reduced.

Politicians fall in the same category.

@SpikeTalon No many should fall into their own circle of hell. i.e. the bolgia for those who give bad counsel, as per Dante.

I agree Spike and that should apply to teachers unions as well.

Yup, they are another union that is no good.

My opposition to public employee unions is probably the only issue where I agree with FDR. Even he could see it is a conflict of interest. Although, you can bet he would change his mind if he were around today.

I agree but not because they “have a Union” so much as WHO they “negotiate” with.
“Public Servant” ON STRIKE (BAD!!!)
The Constituents will take it out on Another “Public Servant” (politician) and NOT Re-Elect them.
Politician PROMISES the MOON ... Agrees to ANYTHING that sounds maybe reasonable.
STRIKE ENDS (GOOD!!!)
Politician KNOWS that WHENEVER the Bill Comes Due ...
THEY WILL BE LONG GONE ...
Its so easy to Give Other People’s Money AWAY.
Go ahead, ASK any Government Bureaucrat ... or “Elected” Public Servant

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:101429
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.