slug.com slug.com

6 5

How our anti-American education system made riots inevitable-
[thefederalist.com]

SpikeTalon 10 June 16

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Its The same this side of the Atlantic

It is not helpful to point out a few people that are perpetrating abhorrent behavior and assigning the actions to the larger group as a whole. Yes there was flag burning, defacing of monuments, looting, violence against the police by a relatively few bad actors. That is criminal behavior and cannot be excused in any way.

The Democratic party did not endorse the rioting, it was one volunteer who posted the tweet and it was the proper thing to delete it. Again assigning blame on a group who were just as horrified as you for the misconduct of one.

Every race and ethnicity has racism within it, it is not a white only thing. The black community has a lot to do to repair its dysfunctions. One of the most pressing in my opinion is their taking on the mantle of victim-hood because it excuses them from taking responsibility for the things they have to change within themselves.

But statements like “The error-ridden, America-hating 1619 Project, and its associated Pulitzer-endorsed, Common Core-compliant lesson materials, is already being taught in more than 3,500 schools across the country.” detracts from the seriousness of the problem. The more convincing argument would be listing the errors of the 1619 Project for the reader, informing them of the requirements of Common Core and the fact that Pulitzer approved it, rather than the pejorative “Pulitzer-endorsed”, and letting the readers decide if the 1619 Project is “America-hating” on the strength of a solid factual presentation.

Hyperbole distorts reality but is often used as if it creates reality. Nothing good can be accomplished unless it is approached with unbiased facts and a sincere desire to identify what is really going on and try to improve this country.

This is part of the stupidity that just burns me up over police officers just being drug through the fires. Today I see the senate plan for reform. To the best of my knowledge the stuff on this plan is the same stuff thats already in place and has been for years. Here in South Carolina we get use of force training all the time, diversity, tactics, domestic violence, liability, whatever kind of training you can think of, its constant and all the time. I say this all the time, state, county, city, town, no police department wants to get sued. Training is constant and all the time. Video cameras, I don't know of a department around here thats not been using and mandating the use of cameras for years. Then of course there are the stats. Police departments collect and report more stats these days than you know what to do with and these are all reported every month to the FBI. The stats don't back up any of this crap you see in the media. If you look at total number of contacts or just total number of arrest per year across the whole country vs the number of people killed by police, the police are doing an amazing job. Nobody wants to look at the actual numbers though and trying to collect more changes nothing.

@Lexpd1145 I do not advocate the removal of police. They have one of the most dangerous jobs where their life is on the line every day. I would never disrespect the courage and the difficulty of following their rules of engagement. Sure there a few bad people in every walk of life as well as the police. I totally agree with your assertion that we are not being given the whole story. The fact is that police killings (almost all necessary) are about 25% black and 75% white. What I find disturbing is the tendency to make everything black or white on both sides. If we can achieve clarity and separate fact from hyperbole we can achieve a better outcome.

@Pand0ro I am with you here. There are bad officers, there are officers that simply do not have the skills to do the job, there are officers that in the moment simply make bad decisions. In my opinion the fatal shooting of Rayshard Brooks was a bad shooting. There are certainly shootings involving other races that are unjust and tragic. These get no attention, certainly no protests, and the victims are largely ignored. All this loss of life is tragic and the outrage should be universal.

the wide spread corruption in all forms of government has not helped with the image of America.

Valid point.

Wide spread corruption in all forms of government IS The image of America! Sorry to burst your bubble

Exactly. That was the goal of Alinskyites all along. Not an accident.

Alinsky was one horrible human being...

And Obama decends, ideologically that is, straight from the Alinsky line of demented ideology. Clinton, Killary that is, too.

The burning of the flag, athletes not standing for the anthem, the trash talking about this country. We have allowed all this as part of our freedoms here in America. This has not made us more patriotic, to the contrary it has allowed those that would see us destroyed to gain footholds and start to tear us apart from within. National Pride is very important and I think its high time we get back to it. Merle Haggard said it best "If you don't love it, leave it".

True patriotism is wanting and working for what will keep our country strong and long lasting. All the flag waving, chanting USA, wanting to wipe out the American opposition, shouting that the USA is the greatest, strongest and best country in the world and the only one that counts is useless. It is the easy way to feel good and powerful without having to take any responsibility for working at it. The only way to make America great again is to get off our asses and media and try to see things as they really are. Most points of view have some valid ideas along with the inevitable bullshit contained in them. Work hard at sorting out what is real and using it to try to put together a better way to deal with things.

@Pand0ro I feel that the erosion of patriotism ( not stupid and useless boasting) goes hand in hand with the erosion of our morals and values and both have lead us down this road we are currently on. I stand by the conviction that if you have no pride in this country you will just stand by and watch as its torn down.

@Lexpd1145 Which seems to be happening under the watch of a mostly conservative system. Pride is a sin, it leads to self-serving solipsism. What we need is true love of country that acknowledges our shortcomings and inspires the desire to make us better.

@Pand0ro solipsism eh? I will certainly admit I had to look that one up. Happening under conservative watch. Conservatives are not responsible for attacks on patriotism. Pride is a sin. While I will agree that anything to excess is bad, the total lack of is also bad. "What we need is true love of country that acknowledges our shortcomings and inspires the desire to make us better. " Sounds like a bunch of fluffy talk. There is no shortage of people wanting to point out shortcomings in the country/world. You now have a large group of people being persecuted and labeled as racist because of their race. This will never inspire to be better. It is and will just garner resentment. I see no common ground sir or miss, so will have to agree to disagree on this one.

@Lexpd1145 I also feel disappointed. I was raised Catholic and was taught to examine my conscience. I was taught that Christ taught humility. I fail to see how trying to see all the factors in a problem can be a bad thing. That pride goes before the fall would be valuable to consider.

@Pand0ro Raised Catholic as well and as stupid as it sounds I firmly believe in the power of the golden rule. Everyone should be treated with respect, no matter what choices, opinions, or lifestyle. There are endless things I might not enjoy, believe in or even approve. However I believe in your freedom to pursue your life as you see fit, as long as you don't enfringe on someone else's rights.
If I gave the impression that I thought looking at all factors was bad, that was not my intent. I also would attempt to clarify my stance on pride and patriotism. Anything to excess is folly and bad things result. I am of the opinion that there is a total lack of pride in our country and the work we do in this country. I personaly feel like we need more of it and should be more accountable for ourselves. I look at the work around me, the things I buy, the services I pay for, it is now very seldom I come across someone that takes pride in the things they do. That is a shame.

Yep. The issue is a deep seated self-hatred.

Although the west won the day in World War II, the culture was completely demoralized that a monster arose in the heart of enlightened Europe. Leftists seized on that, and have been teaching ever since that only a sick, unfair, and corrupt system could breed such evil. Progressives hold we are all victims of this crushing oppression.

More than three generations have been fed this message relentlessly, first by academia, and now via pop culture and the mass media. Corporations and governments enshrined the lie and manifest it through diversity and equity policies, codes of conduct and legislation. The narrative is driven by stoking fear and outrage. In recent years, like the Soviet Union of the mid-20th century, any dissent results in swift punishment.

I have little optimism much can be done to change it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:104771
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.