slug.com slug.com

2 3

Reports: Atlanta PD Officers walking off job tonight, murder charges filed by Fulton County DA-
[redstate.com]

SpikeTalon 10 June 18

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

They should walk out they are being thrown to the dogs, and if the feds get rid of qualified immunity, every last officer in the country should walk out. They would be fools for staying.

Having watched all the available video of this incident ...
I think this was a righteous shoot the moment the guy took the weapon (I don’t care that it was “just” a Tazer). That he tried to flee with the weapon, that he turned and “fired” the weapon are simply “strikes” #2 and #3.

Then there’s the whole rush to once again make the guy out to be a Martyred Saint ...
Having seen his background as well, he was neither.
Did he “have” to die like that?
No. However, he brought it on himself. There is no-one to blame but his own stupidity.

HIs own choices put him in that posistion for sure. I am certainly pro-police but this is old school hammered in your head the first day you hit the police academy and constantly comes up in use of force training.
Under U.S. law the fleeing felon rule was limited in 1985 to non-lethal force in most cases by Tennessee v. Garner, 471 U.S. 1. The justices held that deadly force "may not be used unless necessary to prevent the escape and the officer has probable cause to believe that the suspect poses a significant threat of death or serious bodily harm to the officer or others."
I just don't think with the suspect trying to flee that the courts are gonna side with the officers that his escape was going to pose serious harm or death to someone. I still have no idea why the second officer is being charged with aggr. assault?

@Lexpd1145 how about a simple hypothetical:

Guy stole tazer
Cop did NOT shoot
Guy tazes and incapacitates cop
Guy steals cop's gun
Guy goes on rampage

I would say that's a danger to officer and others

My question is why the other officer present didn't taze the guy when he stole the tazer.

@DontbeanassO I would think had he tazed and started toward the other officer, the second officer would have been justified to shoot him to protect that officers life. Since I made the earlier post I have also seen Brandon Tatum's you tube post that according to Georgia law a tazer if by law listed as a deadly weapon. If that is the case, and I have no reason to doubt what he has said, that would seem to make the suspect turning to shoot the tazer a justification for using deadly force.
As for the tazer I saw in the video the officer that lost the tazer seemed to be trying to "drive stun" which is just trying to taze the suspect by touch him with the tazer instead of firing the darts into him. That didnt seem to be working for him, I don't know why they didnt deploy the second officers tazer. However I also see in quotes from the DA that per Georgia law you can't shoot someone running with a tazer. This seems stupid to me, but if Georgia law considers a tazer as deadly force you are right back to the argument of wether his escape was such a threat to life that it warranted killing him to prevent it.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:105205
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.