slug.com slug.com

4 0

Atlanta police shooting .......Justified??

Elles_Place 6 June 20

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

To me what will tell the tale on this shooting will probably be Georgia state law labeling a tazer as a deadly weapon. When the subject turns to fire the tazer, that would seem to make the shooting justified. Now as far as I know most places the tazer is considered a less than lethal weapon. In my opinion this was a poor decision under the fleeing felon rule. I just don't see his escape posing a serious risk of harm or death to the public. You setup a perimeter or you draw up warrants and arrest him later. If hes patted down, he has no gun, hes not driving drunk to plow into anyone, and chances are he is not going to kill anyone with the tazer. Could it happen sure, but I don't think you can make a convincing argument that is was likely. I am very pro police, I think murder charges are silly. I do believe this one may well ride on the whole tazer thing.

I agree with you...and tazers do a lot of damage to the heart, other organs and nervous system. I think thy need to bring back rubber bullets...yes they hurt more than bean bags but are much more efficient and will hopefully eliminate if not heavily reduce the deaths by real bullets.

@Elles_Place problem with rubber bullets, pepper balls, even paint balls is the risk of putting out eyes.

Well, he was being arrested for DUI/DWI. He resisted arrest ... essentially assaulted 2 officers, he stripped a weapon from the Officer. He broke away and was fleeing the scene with the weapon. He TURNED and FIRED the weapon at the Officers ...
Yes it was a righteous shoot.

I agree....but with that said if they used rubber bullets instead of real ones that guy would still be alive and less riots would ensue due to this incident and many like it. I still think they could have shot him in the leg or ass instead of kill shots...but your right anyone who resists, bets officers and steals their weapons and turns it on them deserves what he gets...the same would happen to any other color of person

@Elles_Place This would mean as a matter of course, police would NOT be able to use lethal force even when confronted by it. Also, given some people won't stop coming even when shot, a non-lethal method might (as often as death occurs now) result in more police deaths.

We gave cops tasers as a non-lethal method. We have to provide a method to step UP the consequences when that doesn't work.

@Elles_Place
You’re suggesting that Officers should go about on their regular rounds loaded with “Rubber Bullets”? That would be one way to have LOTS of Dead Officers.
As to shooting “legs or ass” that goes against Every Rule ... “Center Mass” is the Rule ... why? Because there’s less of a chance of a miss ... because there’s less of a chance that a stray bullet ends up in someone else’s head ...

Having the option of rubber bullets is better than just shooting everyone. I know they would have to carry both and assess whether to use one or the other...just a matter of changing a clip. That guy was no longer a danger and shooting him in the back wasn't needed....I know the cops are up against way more powerful weapons and I am not saying they should be disarmed of real bullets...but merely to have the option

What do you think would be a better way to handle that situation?

agreed

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:105782
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.