slug.com slug.com

1 4

Great grandson of 'Aunt Jemima' enraged her legacy is being erased by removing her from brand-
[redstate.com]

SpikeTalon 10 June 21

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The original author in the Patch seems to have had a peculiar bone to pick since he got fired as editor at the Chicago Reader for putting a racist symbol on the paper's cover.

The great-grandson, however, seems to be making a more nuanced point than the headline indicates: how dare the company profit from images of subservient black people for decades, and white people participate in that, and then paper over it without offering reparations?

""This is an injustice for me and my family. This is part of my history, sir," Larnell Evans Sr. told me. "The racism they talk about, using images from slavery, that comes from the other side — white people. This company profits off images of our slavery. And their answer is to erase my great-grandmother's history. A black female. … It hurts.""

"Quaker Oats also used Harrington's pancake recipe, Evans and a nephew claimed in a 2014 lawsuit seeking $3 billion from Quaker Oats for not paying royalties to Harrington's descendants. The attempt to make Quaker Oats pay restitution in federal court failed."

"Evans, a 66-year-old Marine Corps veteran living on disability in North Carolina, says his family and black Americans deserve more from corporations such as Quaker Oats than an acknowledgment that, yes, they profited off images of slavery — the likeness of Green and Harrington from syrup bottles — before removing the evidence from grocery store shelves.

"How many white people were raised looking at characters like Aunt Jemima at breakfast every morning? How many white corporations made all them profits, and didn't give us a dime? I think they should have to look at it. They can't just wipe it out while we still suffer," he said.

"After making all that money —and now's the time when black people are saying we want restitution for slavery — they're just going to erase history like it didn't happen? ... They're not going to give us nothing? What gives them the right?""

Money was a factor, but that still doesn't remove the fact apparently that he was upset by the logo being removed eventually, given the history behind such. The deeper point was the sudden erasure of a well known logo.

@SpikeTalon After exploiting it.

@WilyRickWiles Valid point, which makes it all the worse...

@WilyRickWiles It wasn't exploitation - unless you think capitalism per se is exploitation. If that is the case...nothing I can say.

@tracycoyle Did you read my excerpts above? Quaker profited from her image, which represented a racist stereotype, without compensating her. What do you call that?

@WilyRickWiles She was compensated for it a century ago. Her family, generations removed, were owed nothing. And it was NOT a racist stereotype 140 yrs ago. Applying today's values to events in the past is AT BEST dishonest. Retroactive virtue signaling is almost as bad as retroactive vigilantism. (Applying punishment to the later generations for actions done in the far past).

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:106033
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.