slug.com slug.com

6 3

Anyone else hear about COVI-PASS?
[covipass.com]

This "digital health passport" is potentially ripe for abuse-
[globalresearch.ca]

A British cybersecurity company, in partnership with several tech firms, is rolling out the COVI-PASS in 15 countries across the world; a “digital health passport” that will contain your COVID-19 test history and other “relevant health information.” According to the company website, the passport’s objective is “to safely return to work” and resume “social interactions” by providing authorities with “up-to-date and authenticated health information.”

SpikeTalon 10 July 9

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yeah forget that noise

You got that right.

An employer should NOT be allowed access to your health records. These testing dates, and the subsequent results, are a part of your private medical records. What is next? DNA results?

Sure makes one wonder...

The Corona Panic is an upper class riot, far more dangerous and destructive than the lower class riots.

Nope.

I get that cybersecurity and tech companies are trying to get in on the ground floor of such a potentially important part of the return-to-somewhat-normal that we are all going to have to deal with.

But there are still many unknowns. We don't know if there will be a vaccine nor do we know how effective a potential vaccine might be. Flu vaccines are typically less than 50% effective, for example. And COVID-19 is bloody easy to catch on a crowded flight. So this COVI-PASS may never even get off the ground (no pun intended).

On the other hand, if an effective vaccine is found or if catching and recovering from COVID-19 gives long-term immunity, and we do start to return to somewhat normal, there are many billions of dollars to be made here.

The more that someone tries to convince you that your data is secure and won't be misused, the more you have to worry. I agree that there is enormous potential for abuse here.

I totally get your concern on the potential abuse, but consider, for a moment the story from Taiwan. The country has 26-million people squeezed into an area one-third the size of Ohio. Yet there have been just 8 Covid deaths, with no lockdown, and no school or business closures.

If the USA had the same Covid fatality rate as Taiwan, only 116 Americans would have died, rather then 135,000 US fatalities, to date. And following Taiwan’s proven response, the economy would have escaped major damage, because a shut down would have been avoided.

Here in Canada, the health emergency was surprising apolitical. British Columbia (5.1-million people/200 Covid deaths) has performed far better than neighbouring Washington state (7.6-million people/1,395 deaths).

Canadians bought into the government safety suggestions, viewing them not as threats to liberty, but as a personal responsibility, voluntarily taken to protect our neighbours and our communities. It’s a trade off; it’s finding a balance.

Are we endangering liberty? Only time will tell.

We are, though, clearly saving lives.

My concern lies not in how we follow Covid guidelines meant to diminish the virus, my concern is the privacy issue, how would such technology possibly be used to invade privacy and even discriminate against others for not following all guidelines.

@SpikeTalon I totally get that. My point is many jurisdictions are willing to take that risk to save lives. Americans are all about individual liberty, and I always admire that. But if Americans would be willing to risk that liberty they could save thousands of lives, and could have prevented an economic crash.

What they do is up to them. But there is an easier, softer way.

@GeeMac The easier ways in life are often times paved to hell, for lack of a better description. I cannot speak for others, but personally I am not open to sacrificing my individual liberties in the name of what's supposedly better for society as a whole, as no one could give me definitive proof doing such would indeed save all those lives or if it would be in vain. I get where you're coming from though.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:111606
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.