slug.com slug.com

4 2

How old is the Universe?

Well........probably older than we've been told...

tracycoyle 8 July 28

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There may be no way to really know. In his bookSeeing Red, Astronomer Halton Arp shows there are two kinds of red-shift; There's the doppler shift and something he called Intrinsic red-shift. The first is well understood and used to measure distance and therefore time since the proposed Big Bang. But Intrinsic red-shift is due to the energy state of the object being observed. But if there are two causes of red-shift, then we cannot accurately determine the age of any object since the two can't be separated.

My personal opinion is that the Cosmos is infinite in both time and size. Evidence for a Big Bang is scant and inconclusive at best.

I think it had a definitive starting point, I just don't think we have enough info to even begin to understand it and it is clear we don't have the mechanics down well enough to point to WHEN it happened.

That is the beauty of real science: it always stands to be corrected.

How does the narrator know Methuselah’s real age?
Lots of stuff we don’t understand, though not proof we have the age wrong.

Generally, the scientific processes used to estimate the age of the Universe are used to estimate the age of stars - the same processes. Which end up with a star older than the Universe it inhabits.

Both the narrator, me and LOTS of others agree - we don't necessarily KNOW what we don't KNOW in our ability to understand the Universe and what is in it. We are in the infancy of science - come back in 500 yrs - and things will change.

Science doesn't want you to take what Science says as GOSPEL. Take it as a "rough draft".

Ben is a great man. Been watching him for many years now

These spans of time are so vast! It's mind-boggling to try to understand it!

Our measurements of ages of these things are all just estimations anyway. How do we know how old a star is? We have to make an educated guess based on clues. I'm very impressed by human curiosity and ingenuity, that we're devising creative methods to help us guess the ages of things like stars!

Very cool video. Thanks for sharing!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:117025
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.