slug.com slug.com

5 0

Flat Earthers, Informed or deluded?

maxmaccc 7 Aug 9

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Im going to add another vote for delusion

Deluded. If they reject facts that have been proven time and time again... that's called a delusion.

The Flat-Earth Society claims members all around the globe!

Yeah, and they all vote democrat.

how about silly - can we say they are just silly - making up obviously fake "beliefts" - I'm guessing they're working real hard to get attention. LOL
They can believe what they like - matters not a bit to me.

The latter.

LMAO.

Just had a conversation with a flat earther and she insisted the Earth was flat and could prove it. She also said that moonlight has a cooling effect. After seeing her "proof", i came to the same conclusion as you.

@maxmaccc Calling such folks deluded would be putting it mildly...

I suppose there must be some sort of conspiracy among every astronaut (insert sarcasm) then, as not a single one of them ever stated the Earth is flat, and being they would have direct experience with such I'm inclined to take the astronauts seriously.

@SpikeTalon I thought in a similar vein by asking her if she knew of any pilots or sailors that were flat earthers? She replied she didn't know of any personally, but was sure there must be some.

@maxmaccc @SpikeTalon I have a different take on this question:

Once the enlightenment began, we were all well on our way to discovering how tiny and fragile we all were in a giant unthinking universe. The sun will nova. Before that, a meteor may wipe out all life on Earth. The moon is slowly leaving orbit and will eventually not be close enough to stabilize the Earth's rotation, leading to cataclysmic climate variation. We may invent Hyperdrive and travel to other worlds--or we may find it impossible. These prospects are terrifying!

In the near term, people are afraid of global warming--probably not a huge problem, but people THINK it is. Many people see the Universe as deadly and trying to kill us. They look up at the stars and don't see beauty, but see the heat-death of the universe.

We live in an age of anxiety. It is therefore comforting to believe in a clockwork universe wherein the Earth is the center of creation and is unique among all heavenly bodies. Such ideas bring some people solace in an anxiety-ridden world.

This is the same reason why our faith can give us comfort.

I am in a unique position to see it from both sides. I was once an atheist--although I was never the mean kind of atheist. I never mocked someone for believing in God and... NOR, did I mock them for believing in other things--like a flat Earth. I saw all such beliefs for the existential comfort that they were.

Now, I miraculously am a believer in God, and I know first hand how wonderful it is to fit in to a much larger plan. But that's not important. Perhaps what is more important is to understand why someone would be drawn to such a belief as Flat Eartherism. It doesn't really make sense that God (or if you prefer: nature) would place one completely unique object in His universe that violates all of His physical laws. But one's religion also seems like nonsense to those who have not had an epiphany. (There is even a Bible verse about it, but I don't wanna be one of "those" guys either)

Anyway, I've seen belief from both sides, and have always understood it, for what it was--at least from a human perspective. I never thought I could have what religious people had--but at the same time, I knew we were more or less hard-wired for it, and wished I could. But all the wishing in the world did not help. It took a miracle.

Anyway, I'm digressing. I really meant to say I understand why someone would believe in a flat earth theory, as in some respects, it is a form of theism. And, as I've stated already, there's a LOT to be anxious about in the modern world, both in the near and the long run.

Don't be too hard on them.

@curvycom I get what you're saying, but if and when someone attempts to stifle science and what can be proven, I must speak up. I've been on both sides, for a majority of my life I was a believer, and I'm not about to go back to those days again. It's fine to have an active imagination, but imagination and believing in things that have been proven to not exist are two different things though. For that matter, I'd rather believe there is some sort of god like being, but the evidence I've seen does not lead me in that direction. I usually keep to myself about my skepticism, as overall it is not a very important part of my life, and only bring it up if another tries to force their views on me. Believing in things that most likely are not true never gave me any sense of comfort, only reality can do that for me, regardless of how unpleasant life itself can be at times. If believing in such gives you comfort, that's all good.

@SpikeTalon How do you post so much... and so ... Quality? I'm amazed!!!

Anyway, As you observed, I really wasn't disagreeing with anyone. I just wanted to provide some perspective and context, and perhaps some compassion.

I mean, if kids are committing suicide because they are afraid of the climate, or because Pandora isn't a real place, then there really is something going very wrong. I'm not sure what the general antidote would be, but clearly we need something to alleviate this mass anxiety that is plaguing the world.

I really believe the climate hysteria has accelerated it and brought it to an insane level, but that might just be a part of it. I'm not really sure.

When I was still an atheist, I tried to fill my "god spot" (I was gonna call it my "G-spot" but that would have been a huge blunder) with the idea, or faith, if you will, in the ingenuity of man--that we would in fact invent Hyperdrive and anti aging and hibernation technology and all the cool Star Trek stuff so our civilization would live on at least as long as the universe lived. That much hasn't changed. I still feel that way. One way or another, life finds a way. That is my belief, still, although knowing my Heavenly Father is an infinite comfort. That much hasn't changed.

I raised myself on "man worship" you could say, so my faith and enthusiasm for mankind's accomplishments have always been a comfort to me as well. So now, I maybe have the best of both worlds, so to speak.

@curvycom I'm fine with others believing in whatever they want to, just so long as I don't have to be involved. Atheists can be nasty just like the religious can. My atheism isn't a big part of my life, so I don't bring the topic up much. Guess human beings are constantly on the lookout for whatever could provide some sort of comfort and structure, and I understand that much.

As for the posting, I usually do all the posts I'm going to do in a day all at once, usually sometime in the early evening hours EST once I get off work. Wish I could be on here more.

@SpikeTalon your stats are truly troll worthy, but you are clearly not a troll. (I'm not and I wasn't alluding to you being so, but just that I'm impressed by your numbers) How long have you been a member here? Maybe that might shed some light also.

Anyway, I enjoy your posts and insights and am impressed about how much quality stuff you post.

@curvycom I'm the second oldest member on this site, joined back on February 14 2019, before the site even officially launched. For the first week or two there were only a few dozen members on here, hardly anyone was posting.

@SpikeTalon That's what i was wondering. So you were in on the Beta test?

@curvycom Sure was. Quite a bit has changed since then, mostly positive changes. I find that it's possible to be kept up to date on current events from this site alone, some really good news links shared on here by others.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:120768
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.