slug.com slug.com

1 1

“Nothing appears more surprising to those who consider human affairs with a philosophical eye, then the easiness with which the many are governed by the few; and the implicit submission, with which men resign their own sentiments and passions to those of their rulers. When we enquire by what means this wonder is effected, we shall find, that, as force is always on the side of the governed, the governors have nothing to support them but opinion. It is therefore, on opinion only that government is founded; and this maxim extends to the most despotic and military governments, as well as to the most free and most popular.”

David Hume, “Of the First Principles of Government”, in Essays, Literary, Moral and Political

Melancton 6 Sep 2

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

the easiness with which the many are governed by the few; and the implicit submission, with which men resign their own sentiments and passions to those of their rulers

That's why I became a #Fascist. I was a #libertarian for years, I thought it was the winning message ... who doesn't want to be free? Well, almost everyone doesn't want to be free, it turns out. The only way to establish a libertarian society is for a small group of dedicated men to impose liberty on the People.

But ultimately, the People don't care. They'll put up with a lot from a despot to compared to dangerous freedom. They don't want freedom, they want comfort and direction. So instead of wasting my time trying to convince people of the benefits of liberty, I decided to start telling them what to do instead. It would better that way. It's the natural order.

Oddly enough, Fascists are the only ones defending classical liberal principles and are the only people on your side, so it's a rational choice.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:128490
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.