slug.com slug.com

1 0

A quote from a book I am currently reading:

One thing I learned from dad, religion ain't no good. The concept may be, but in practice no.

tracycoyle 8 Oct 24

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I suppose that would depend upon the nature of the particular religion and how it was practiced. The statement is far too generalized to be very helpful as I see it.

I think it applies to all religions but maybe not to all practitioners.

@tracycoyle Then I suppose I would have to ask how one defines the word religion when asserting that "religion ain't no good." I know people tend to redefine a lot of words these days, but, as I understand the word, the statement is basically saying that belief in a deity, and following a system of values and practices associated with said deity, is no good. I would then say, again, that it would depend upon the nature of the particular religion and how it was practiced.

However, if one thinks that any and all forms of theism are necessarily bad, then I suppose he or she would agree the aforementioned statement. But this would then also seem to require their thinking that all practitioners of religion are also bad. After all, how could they think that it is good to practice something bad?

Anyway, I am back to having problems with the quote.

@KeithThroop you are defining belief, or faith. Religion is the established dogma of such a faith promulgated by an organization of believers.

I don't think deism is bad per se, but yea, I'm kinda against organized religion. I was born Roman Catholic and the current Pope is a good example of why I am no longer involved.

@KeithThroop distinguishing between the dogma and the organization. Individuals practice religion badly often. Using the religion as an excuse. Doesn't mean the faith or belief is inherently bad...

@tracycoyle Thanks for clarifying your point. I see better where you are coming from. 🙂

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:143558
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.