slug.com slug.com

4 12

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Didn't work for me. Specially 14, maybe they would have have worked if I were alone. o_o
Maybe I just can't escape myself.

I am not a big fan of this clip! Sure, there are some interesting points to ponder. But overall, he sounds like an out-of-touch grandpa who thinks that the lessons he memorized as a teenager (which may have worked for him) can also work for grown ups that seek wisdom and intellectual development 🤨. Wisdom needs a good amount of elaboration and wit in order to be internalized, but he seems to think that interesting words equal wisdom! He may well be an accomplished scholar, but he is not very good at sharing/communicating his wisdom 🧐

Perhaps you don't want to be wise? Being wise requires strength and devotion.

@Letemdangle Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that he is not wise. I recognise that he is an accomplished scholar, but he is not very effective at sharing his wisdom. He talks to grown ups as if they are high school teenagers that need to be disciplined 🤔🤔🤔. Not very wise in my book!

@gHAB87 perhaps that's because they are like children. And he has been tremendously successful. Growing up isn't for everyone as we see in today's world.

I liked it all! I think, especially, number 7! Thanks

While I would not necessarily agree with every point, at least not as stated, there is a lot of really good advice there!

yes J Petersons blind spot is his inability to even consider much less express belief in a Great Creator. He is stubborn about holding on to his secularist roots.

@iThink
Maybe he is just honest and don’t want to condone or promote something he has no proof for.
His strength is that he only pushes ideas and solutions that he can proove.
That kept him from pushing looney ideas and his own opinions.

This is about as close as he gets, so far as I know.

@Hanno I am not doubting the mans personal integrity. He is honest as you suggest. I also point out that he does indeed "push his own opinions". It just so happens that we JP fans agree with his opinions. He does have a lot of factual/objective info at his command and he uses that data to support his opinions. To say that JP does not have or push opinions is just - well, silly.

@iThink
I stand corrected on the opinions part... was a bit silly and I should have added “too much” or some other qualifier.

@Hanno I took you to mean that he didn't simply spout uninformed opinions, as so many people do, but instead only offered opinions backed by evidence, opinions that he felt he could actually prove.

I disagree with you. This is one of the most fundamental questions, and to say "I don't like the question" is quite a cop out! Nobody is asking him to judge others or enact a law right there and then ??? If he believes in God, then he should have the courage to say it. But the incomplete answer he gave is very telling! If he just "acts" as if God exists, then he doesn't have a relationship with God, which means he doesn't have an active spiritual life. To him, God is not a higher being he relates to. And to equate that fundamental question to the biblical teaching of "avoid praying in public" is very dishonest and deflective. Compare his lazy answer to Einstein's philosophy about God and Religion: "The most beautiful emotion we can experience is the mystical. It is the power of all true art and science... To know that what is impenetrable to us really exists, manifesting itself as the highest wisdom and the most radiant beauty, which our dull faculties can comprehend only in their most primitive forms—this knowledge, this feeling, is at the centre of true religiousness. In this sense, and in this sense only, I belong to the rank of devoutly religious men."

Write Comment More
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:144416
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.