slug.com slug.com

4 1

I am happy to be here on Slug but the guidelines seem the same as those used by You Tube, Twitter, Facebook and others. Particularly item 5. If a complaint is received who then makes a determination regarding right or wrong? This is precisely the procedure used on those other sites that we all come here to escape. Anyone who has been exposed to the arbitrary methods of a homeowner's association will recognize that where human opinion is involved there will always be arguments and that, in the end, he or she who has authority will have the last say. I do sincerely hope that here on Slug freedom of speech includes the right to upset another. It has to. The moment we are told (rule 5.) that we have to censor ourselves because of the feelings of others, we have lost freedom. Be "respectful"? Who decides this... a moderator who may have personal views of his or her own? A young person who was educated in our world of woke schools? This is exactly what goes on with You Tube and it is a great problem in the world today. Why, I wonder, are we so quick to advocate freedom of speech and then be so quick to condition that freedom through the fearful imposition of rules for behavior? And why do the masses fail to object?

The best social media site is the one that has no rules at all and no moderators to judge and then impose their will on others. None. Only on such a site will freedom of speech be alive. I don't mind if someone tells me to go pound sand. Freedom of speech requires each of us can say what he or she wants to. No site interested in freedom of speech will have moderators.

The above post is designed to encourage discussion. But some beta will probably be offended and flag it. Or maybe a moderator will see it and think, oops this guy is trouble because he dares to challenge authority. Let's find out just how much freedom of speech there really is on Slug.

Looking forward to a happy association with you all. One in which each of us is free to state our truth without fear of being silenced by someone with root privileges.

Bartholomew 4 Dec 4

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It would be great if Slug.com doesn't try to emulate Bitchute with the Right dominating the posts, after all, what good is yet another echo chamber where everyone strokes each others egos by constantly agreeing, Bitchute already has that covered.
A reasonably balanced membership is beneficial for intelligent discussion with no censorship of topic or individual assuming of course, that's what Admin wants as part of this site as you inferred in your post.
Freedom of expression/speech comes with consequences, as mentioned by Spike Talon and is a proper and correct guideline to follow. Accepting responsibility for your own words takes a little courage and conviction.
The willingness to change one's mind through informative, honest debate would be great in a perfect world because topics are rarely black and white, Right or Left.
YouTube, Facebook and the like tend to point out conspiracy theories and debunk them by producing evidence or providing links so you can check yourself BUT they also deplatform content creators and that's the part i find abhorrent. If one doesn't like/agree with another individual, one would like the option of avoiding/blocking that person rather than someone choosing for me.
It is impossible to have a sensible discussion with someone who refuses to accept verifiable evidence that doesn't comport to their personal belief so those types of debates usually end up in an intellectual Cul de Sac. Personally, i tend to post a few replies to those types of threads and see where it goes.
A thick skin helps when it comes to the subject of personal insults. To some they are water off a ducks back, to others a red mist descends and battle lines are drawn. Personally, the former is preferable although, i do like to spectate the latter, giving emoji's as and when the urge takes me.
Hope to see you pushing the boundaries of those rules just to see what you can get away with. Perhaps we'll discover if any of the rules are amendable.

@jp42 I missed my own apology.

think of it as the difference between being allowed to say fag vs being allowed to call someone a fag. even if a leftist comes here he can call someone dude without being banned for misgendering. I do agree that a lot of places are still basically twitter, but so far common sense seems to win the day at most other places, and for some, isn't that a great start ?

@jp42 sure, but if 2 people are having a conversation at the home of a third person, the owner of the house has every right to ask them to take their conversation outside. there is a difference between telling someone I don't want to hear that vs you can't say that. censorship is a tool like any other. if we are talking about cars and someone posts about lawncare, they can cry censorship when their post is deleted. far be it from me to suggest slug doesn't censor people, im just saying they don't seem to stand on the idea that there are things people aren't allowed to say.

@jp42 lol ! I didn't realize that would be where you got lost. wait, Is this your site ?

Yes, Also...the other sites are left, this site is more right...so if it was left,,, it would be the same crapola.

I wouldn't call Slug right. Leftist loonies are free to roam on Slug. I'd say it's smack dead centrist.

@eschatologyguy
Slug is a place where conservative thought doesn’t get a fact check just because it differs from the leftist smog. That makes it seem right leaning.

@Edgework that about sums it up.

@eschatologyguy I mean IDW is more right...

I contend most if not all social media platforms operate in the same manner when it comes to the flagging system. Admin handles such complaints on this site. There have been a few who had gotten booted from SLUG in the past, but it's worth pointing out that every one of them suggested something criminal including threats of harm/death directed at other members. If you do something against the laws of the area in which you live, you can reasonably expect some sort of consequence for your actions. With that said, that sort of thing is not common on here, nor is needless flagging of posts. If you say something another doesn't like, they will probably just ignore you and scroll on. Hope you like it here, take care.

@jp42 The creators of sites can do with their property as they please, just as the laws dictate. If that doesn't sit well with someone, they could always elect to use another site. Would be ideal for these site creators to not get involved in member disputes, but that's most likely not going to happen anytime soon.

@jp42 I never said it wasn't wrong for them to censor in such a manner, it is wrong, but as the site owners they can still do as they please with their property. You ask who cares if two or more people disagree and get offended, I ask who cares if some of these social media site owners choose to go the censorship route? I simply ignore sites like Facebook and Twitter, especially knowing there are decent sites like SLUG around, and don't care about them playing the censorship game as it doesn't affect me. This wouldn't be an issue if more people learned to leave sites that play games like that.

@jp42 I understood your point... and I disagree. What you suggested could inevitably open the door to more Government involvement in our lives, as if they didn't do enough of that already. Where exactly do we win? I'm not convinced more laws will improve the situation any. Also, I'm not bothered by technology, my concern is how fellow human beings will use such technology in negative ways against others. Never made excuses for anything either, the world is far from perfect, and I have an uncanny ability to tune out that drama and ado over political correctness and such. People like that want to upset your life, don't let them. Don't care if some social media site decides to censor me for some reason, I'll simply move on to another site that isn't quick to censor, and I'm surely not going to get upset over digital interactions.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:158188
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.