slug.com slug.com

4 1

Do you think this is legit?

Just 8.4% of the world’s population live in a “full democracy” according to The Economist Intelligence Unit’s latest Democracy Index

The pandemic caused an unprecedented rollback of democratic freedoms in 2020

[economist.com]

Naomi 8 Feb 4

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The Republican party has been working for the last 30 years to make the United States a de facto one party government. As in Russia that allows other parties, they would allow Democrats to vote and hold office as long as they never get close to a majority either in the federal or state offices. The Republicans would then be able to declare this a democracy. Democrats have been stupid, naive, disorganized and cowardly therefore not establishing a platform that is compelling to citizens and focusing on irrelevant social justice policy to make it look like they are doing something. The current objective of political parties is not the benefit to the country but the acquisition of power through the party.

Hello. Power struggle is part of human nature, isn't it? I don't know what we can do about it. 😟
With regard to Russia, I recently learned about "managed democracy".

@Naomi As population grows an individual's personal space shrinks, share of the wealth decreases and hope for personal improvement dissipates. We have reached a population density where people are seeing others as taking away that which should be rightfully theirs. The ability of the planet to supply everyone with a sustainable living is being overwhelmed and we are essentially committing unrealized and unacknowledged suicide. Power struggle is part of human nature and that is what is killing us. It is a necessary trait to drive evolution that has gone beyond usefulness. Democracy depends on the citizens having the good of the nation in mind and need to be able to hold back some personal desires to allow the nation to work. Today most voters are looking to what will benefit them personally which is no where near a foundation for democracy.

The wolves and sheep dinner party best describe the problem with democracy without a common agreed to purpose, that's why we are loosing our freedom and liberty.

full democracy is 3 wolves and a sheep deciding what's for dinner.

I would wager that the US is not one of them....checking.....ah, yep. And we are flawed because of what happened in 2020? Or because of some other 'bug' in our society.

But there is another POV - full democracy is NOT what this country was built for/on. So, I wouldn't want us to be a full member of this elite group....</s>

Makes me wonder if such thing as "full democracy" really exists. 😛

@Naomi, nope, and never has.

@turnerjolene48 Power struggle is part of human nature.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:181887
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.