slug.com slug.com

4 1

CBO study says $15 an hour Federal minimum wage would destroy economy-
[redstate.com]

According to a new study by the Congressional Budget Office (CBO), a $15 federal minimum wage would destroy at least 1.4 million jobs, expand the deficit, and decrease U.S. living standards. In other words, the current campaign to more than double the federal minimum wage would inflict severe economic and social harm.

SpikeTalon 10 Feb 10

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

That minimum wage will challenge more than fewer minimum wage entry level jobs. It will put a pinch on small businesses that have a few employees. Having to take your middle range employees and go from 15$/hr to 25 or 30$hr is going to really make small business abandon having employees because how much more will be demanded to pay in employement taxes. All employees will end up gig labor private contractors

I can only comment as an outside observer.
Just as with the gun-control debate or health-care; I don't think it's entirely fair to apply the standards of a different country and culture to the US.
I live in Australia where the minimum wage for all workers is $19.49AUD, which converts to $15.04US, (as at 02/11/21)
The economy adjusts and everything runs just fine. Businesses accept it as a part of the operating landscape. It has not eliminated entry level jobs because everybody plays by the same rules. McDonalds still hires all the teenagers they need.
So I hear a lot of people disparage the US for not sucking it up and just trying it out. But raw numbers don't tell the whole story.
In Australia for example we've never had a culture of tipping. When you check in to a hotel or order food anywhere tipping is rare and seen as an American cultural import (Although it does happen in classy restaurants but is still quietly regarded as showing off). The passed on costs of the higher minimum wage are factored into the overall price. Everybody knows this. It's just part of the social contract here.
I'd like to know what the experience is in other countries that have a similar minimum wage.

However one can't separate economics from culture. If the US did raise the minimum wage would there be a corresponding drop in tipping? I think not, because, if a century of movies and television is to be believed, then tipping is part of the fabric of American life.

I think there is a valid argument for raising minimum wages for sectors of the workforce where employees can't expect to be tipped. Walmart and Amazon workers come to mind. However, if the minimum wage is raised one should expect to see a corresponding rise in prices. Businesses are not charities and won't willingly see a drop in their bottom line. It's a vexing question and I don't envy you having to grapple with it. I think it's grossly unreasonable for people who don't live in the US to throw about glib suggestions as if opposition to raising the minimum wage is somehow evil.

I think a more dangerous and pernicious concept is that of the UBI (Universal Basic Income). This would kill incentive to work while simultaneously turning everybody, below the 1% who are super-rich, into slaves of the government. Who can forget AOC's famous misstep when she she talked about paying people who didn't want to work? Is there a more stupid idea?

Interesting, never thought about that tipping could strictly be an American thing (mostly American anyway), and had no idea such is virtually non-existent in a country like Australia.

Break the economy, overwhelm the system, and implement the Great Reset to save us from........freedom and prosperity.

I was going to ask my waitress today how she felt about the $15 minimum wage idea but I forgot. I'll try to remember next time I see her. She makes a good living on tips. It's a somewhat upscale Steakhouse and I believe most folks tip between 15 and 20%. So think about that a minute. In a given hour she may serve anywhere from 150 to 250 dollars worth of food and drink (they serve alcohol, beer and wine along with their dine in menu). So Look at the low end. 15% of 150 dollars is $22.50. And this example is a low estimate of a busy lunch and dinner revenue. I don't know if she'll tell me but I'll ask her if she averages more than $100 per day as waitress/bartender. I'm sure she earns more than or at least averages more than $100 per day on tips.
Obviously she and a million other waiters, bartenders etc would LOSE income big time if their employers paid them the minimum wage. Because the restaurants will increase prices on the menu in order to cover that cost. The patrons will see the cost for dining out increase and will rightfully assume that the additional costs are there because of the $15 per hour minimum wage. Patrons will no longer be or feel obligated to tip their servers because they are paying for the services of a wait staffer on their dining bill/ticket.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:184668
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.