slug.com slug.com

1181 378

Let us know your ideas on how to improve this new site!

As we just launched this site, we're still adding features and ramping up promotion. Let us know what you'd like to see here and we'll make it so! Our goal is to help facilitate not only the exchange of ideas but to help consolidate a clear message on important topics.

Also, please give us your thoughts on how we should best position this site so as to live up to the ideals of the IDW movement.

Thanks so much!

Admin 8 Feb 14

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

1181 comments (1026 - 1050)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Why am I no longer able to make pa post on this site?

There is a "Post" button at the top of every page if you are a member of at least 1 group. We'll update it now to always be there.

@Admin Thanks for the reply.

@Admin It is working for me now. Thank you kindly.

Time to start advertising and trying to grow, don't be PC don't even fake it. Put the truth in the faces of the teens and young adults and lets get more conversations. I see some good ones here, and alot of strange ones, we need more input from the broader spectrum.

Agreed that schools are widely only teaching anti-conservative views.

New group suggestion: "How To Make A Difference"

Create a group where people can post proposals for projects that will make the right kind of difference in the world. An OP's purpose in posting might be just to get feedback, or to get others to contribute intellectually, financially, developmentally, etc. Or most importantly, to give those in a position to do so the opportunity to fund what may be the most awesome new development projects today.
If someone's going to do this, let me know and I'll post the first one to set the bar really, really high.
I can post a first draft anytime to give you an example of the sort of thing I'm thinking.

That sounds like a great topic for a group - level 4 members can create them.

Many thanks for creating the joint, Code Monkey, so far I'm digging it. I learned about it from an off-hand comment by a guest on The Rubin Report and immediately saw its potential. The only suggestions I'd make so early in my membership is maybe tweak the text selection highlight so it is visible when users deploy the Firefox plug-in Dark Background Light Text (I have bad eyes). The two spaces after the period is a dead giveaway to my decrepitnous, no? 😉 I always hated the MS unilateral removal of it by fiat. And is there a way to donate? I haven't stumbled on to a tip jar yet. Anything not Paypal or Patreon -- both of which are rabid 2A haters -- I will happily contribute, as I did for GAB. Thanks again, I'm so glad I picked up on the "IDW" and got curious. Slainte.

Thanks, we hope to have dark mode ready very soon. We're thinking of setting up a tip jar for the website but that has pros/cons. Thanks!

I was drawn to this site as it was said to be a place to debate policy. I’m somewhat disheartened to find what appears to be a reddit clone with “groups” instead of “subreddits”, “fans” instead of “subscribers”, and “likes” instead of “upvotes”. How is this different? I was sort of envisioning a site where policy ideas are submitted and debated upon, with some sort of structure (such as classical logic with premises and clauses) enforced by AI or some neat new code. Is that a pipe dream? This doesn’t seem to be structured to align with the stated goals around sound policy decisions. I am sort of all over the place with my political and philosophical ideologies, but from what I can tel this is a right wing reddit. Please prove me wrong.

We consider the first version of this community a bit of a test bed as we sort out what works and what doesn't - hence the work-in-progress state. Last week we moved to a full group-only model as it took too much oversight to sort out the incoming queue of posts. We are now looking to for a way to highlight themes better across the groups.

The site needs more definition for each section. Try using some panels or containers to hold make the sections more bold a separated. Also try more contrasting colors

We recently removed a full page container as it made the site feel more busy and complicated. We'll take another look at it in a few weeks.

I would like to be able to arrange posts in the groups according the most recent comment..

Ok, we just added it for you today.

I'd would rather NOT see posts from groups that I have not chosen to join.

We are only showing IDW groups regardless if you're a member. For thoses, just click the "hide" buttons to never see them again.

Your restrictions on speech and content are very minimal compared to Twitter, Youtube, and Facebook, and I thank you for that. Please continue to make a point of not becoming Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey in February 2019: "I Don’t Believe That We Can Afford To Take A Neutral Stance Anymore"

It depends on what "neutral" means. If one had facts that suggest that the "neutral" position is not good for the future of the country, Dorsey needs to start with that. It seems that if we assume Dorsey is a smart person, we'd have to believe the motivation for his deplatforming actions is that he has some facts to suggest those who he's deplatforming are doing something bad for the future. I would be interested to know what facts suggest this.

@Admin you assume that simply because someone is of high intellect, that they are of high character. It’s very possible that Dorsey is privy to some information that suggests he is deplatforming people out good intentions, but it’s just as, if not more probable, that there’s some malice at play. I think it’s a combination of the two, Dorsey is partisan leftist and obviously thinks that the best/only path for the US is a leftist one, and anything standing in opposition is harmful to the country. Therefor, he can justify in his own mind discriminating and targeting anyone with a dissenting opinion, and he sleeps like a baby.

@Admin This is an extremely dangerous position, and I am very disappointed to see an IDW admin adopt this stance. Your statement "It seems that if we assume Dorsey is a smart person, we'd have to believe the motivation for his deplatforming actions is that he has some facts to suggest those who he's deplatforming are doing something bad for the future" is, frankly, the beginnning of totalitarianism, because, whenever you suppress free speech, the question is - Who Decides? Didn't Stalin think his opponents were bad for the future? Didn't Mao? Didn't Hitler? Didn't the Catholic Church when it instituted the inquisition?
And, as has been comprehensively proven, "smarts" and wisdom are not the same thing. Not to mention that "smarts" do not give someone the moral authority to decide what is good for everyone else.
I hope you will retract this position quickly and comprehensively, because there is NO reason for the IDW to exist if that is a core tenet. I await your response.

I was 'suspended' for inferring that someone was stupid for refusing to believe hillary committed crimes...is that the position of the idw community? that i be suspended for stating the obvious? just curious...

I don't know, acerbic.

Did the design change, the post button is one from the top menu.

Yes, we tried to simplify the home page by moving the "Post" function to the top of the page.

Been giving this some thought. With the open forum now available a debating stataging game sounds fun. Randomly picked team members? A list of topics to choose from time to research and prepare. Weekly games? 3 strike rule rule for rude off topic comments? Elimination by falling to provide facts?
Some issues off the table, like people religion (groups only) Thoughts?

Interesting idea, thanks!

I am unable to paste in any links when I attempt to create a post. Is this intentional?

There was some changes in the text input field recently. We'll look into it. Thanks!

Proof-reading a post, can we edit? How?

Yes, after you post, go to the post and click "Edit".

Hello Admin.: My Eyesight must be failing me... I cannot find a Post-Edit. All I can seem to edit is my Profile...

@Janeybird Yes, I did send you a screenshot of exactly that (see above). And, opening up the 3line options does not show any edit. Here is what it says from top to bottom: Show likes; Follow this comment; Turn off alerts; Delete; Share on Facebook... Twitter... by E-mail. That is all there is. ???? Well now, I just checked my Reply to you... Interesting! There is the edit option. Okay: You do not give an edit option on my original post, but on replies to original posts. Hmm...

Seems even Youtube playlist link shows as a video.

Position? Like market targets? Seems to be for Free Speech Absolutism and Critical Thought.

Site seems fine, uploading videos stall at 9%.

I have something you can do. Fix the comments so they take carriage returns. Paragraph function doesn't seem to work in comment-mode. Which makes every commenter look like some newb writer who can't use paragraphs. Doubleplus ungood.

Edit: never mind. It looks like the paragraph collapse shows up only in the poster's main page, and not in the actual page of the group where the comment is posted.

Glad it worked 🙂

@Admin Well, you might still look into fixing it so that carriage returns are never collapsed anywhere. I don't think it's ever "worth it."

Add video and audio to the page. ie.. make the when you hover over text have it read the comments.

Some browsers have text to speech built in - especially for people with low vision. Could consider that?

@Admin Just a thought to take this to the next level application. Text to speech does work for hold page but not for blocks of text.

It is confusing, I am just used to being in a chat, I really would like to talk privately or with like-minded people for some fun where people don't grab you comments and look up one's information. With get points and such seems to much of a scam to me and bothersome. Personally I would rather just chat with like-minded or different minded people.

Sure, but how to know which person to talk with?

There's the rub...

Videos of the speeches like from shapiro ,dsouza just to name a few

We are hoping to post daily in their groups.

I believe charging 5$ a month to members only to weed out trolls . Also I believe there a better way to communicate then the way this app is set up.

Even $1 would cut out spammers but I don't know about trolls. Yes, possibly. Happy to get your feedback as to where we should focus our design updates. Thanks!

I want to see video links and be able to read transcripts (I read very fast, so waiting for slow videos is annoying).

We're rolling out video soon. Can record video already in profiles.

I see lots of improvements are coming. For the time being, I am going to only inform people who already understand the IDW and the censorship issues with fb and twitter. I'll let more people know when the platform is a bit further along, so we don't lose people who find it bewildering in its current form.

Thanks for the feedback - we're working a bit daily to simplify the site. We started just building all sorts of features so it got out of hand. You'll see 2-3 changes per day ongoing...

Add a "Damned Straight!" option to the list of "likes". 😉

Then we'd need a "Right on" or "F-yeah" too 🙂

@Admin I'm down with that. Let people express their emotions! How they feel about things.

Maybe a little less text heavy, black and white, I feel if you copied other social media platform models it could be easier to navigate your way round and understand the different groups within the IDW

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20034
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.