slug.com slug.com

3 1

What is the absolute best argument you can think of in favor of a position you disagree with?

Jordan Peterson suggested this on Dave Rubin to Ben Shapiro and Eric Weinstein... but no one was too thrilled with the idea.

jnaatjes 7 Feb 24

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Absolutely love this question.

She likes it 😉

Gross.

Drug addiction isn't necessarily a victimless crime when parents of children neglect their responsibilities

That's a good one. I'd respond by saying the drug abuse itself isn't the crime, neglecting your children is. I also think that if we legalize drugs, crimes committed while intoxicated should be punished more severely than otherwise.

I'll admit though that I waver on this a bit. It seems logically consistent to me to not criminalize the mere use of any drug by a legal adult, but it's hard for me to go that far. I still haven't convinced myself that we should legalize things like crack, meth, or heroine. It seems like the externalities are too great with these drugs because they completely impair your judgement.

EVERYONE is an addict. An addiction occurs when a person comes to the realization that there is no destiny...no preordained purpose for them. That blow to the ego causes the person to pick an "addiction" which takes the role of a purpose. It could be financial success, religion, health, family...or drugs...they all serve the same purpose. A distraction from our lack of purpose, our insignificance. Some are positive, some aren't. Choose your addiction wisely

@Freeken1 pretty nihilistic view on life. Respectfully, I honestly think such nihilism comes from unmet expectations, and those initial expectation were rooted in prideful arrogance. But it's an arrogance that I and most humans are guilty of... a desire to be "important" to the world and make an impact on a large, grandiose scale.

What people need to realize is the most important purpose can be found in making a difference much closer to home. They can be there for your their children, their spouse, their church, and local community. But too many people think that's not important enough, failing to realize how significant the impact is and how far the ripples spread.

That's not an addiction.

@jnaatjes You realize you just said the exact same thing that I did without calling it an addiction right?

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20696
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.