slug.com slug.com

5 1

Forget, for a second, about whether or not it should be legal... Do you think gay marriage is good for society?

What are the pros and cons? What's the impact on children? Is there a religious freedom concerns? Etc.

jnaatjes 7 Mar 6

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No.
Civil Unions based on Sexuality and the Desire to Be "Legally Bonded" ... Maybe ... Probably.
The drawback I see is simply based on whether the non-reproducible "Gay Couple" can then participate in the programs that are designed to Promote Future Production/Reproduction that a Typical Heterosexual Pair Represent as a Potential. I think that they should not.

What I find "odd" is that this is even a question.
"Marriage" is a Religious Event resulting in a status promoted and approved by the "Religion" doing the "Marrying" that is THEN tacitly acknowledged by the STATE.

I think its more a case the various Religions or Faiths to determine the question of the suitability of "Gay Marriage".

Do you agree with the notion that Government shouldn't be involved with marriage at all? It is a religious/personal matter after all... why do I need to get a license from the government to participate in something like that?

@jnaatjes If the result is expected to be recognized by the government either before or after the event as a Legal Civil Union, the government should be involved to the extent of its best interests. Such as the question of genetic feasibility in terms of close relatives where genetic offspring are likely to faults. Then yes. There should also be some overarching limits so somebody doesn’t simply “create” a “church” where people can “marry” weird stuff like “the ocean”, their pet dog, a cow or similar oddities and expect a Legal Civil Union to result.

@Bay0Wulf I don't personally care if someone creates a church and marries the ocean... I think they'd be crazy, but if there's no force of law behind it, then there's not much of a chance they can force my church to validate their lunacy.

@jnaatjes Correct.
As it stands here in the USA, marriages performed by the “Church” are first required to meet Government Civil Union Status ... ie. “Marriage Licenses” ...
I simply disconnect the concept of the Religious Sacrament of “Marriage” from automatically being a Government Sanctioned “Civil Union” and vice versa.
I suppose a “Church”could “Marry” anything to anything (in some sects, Nuns are “Brides” of Christ) ... simply being “Married” should not connote Government Sanction of that Union.
Similarly, the Government can Sanction the Union of a Homosexual Couple but it does not mean that the “Church” is required to recognize it or “Sanctify” it.

Simple. Live with the choices you make in your life. Marriage , sexuality what ever. If I choose to be gay I have to live with the fact two men can't have a baby. With that said I know gay men that have children. Again a choice was made to sleep with the opposite sex and they live with the fact they had a child. Also with the abundance of absent father in straight relationships agian Chioces. For me just make good choices. Straight gay single married forget the societal labels and be a good person.

There have been a number of studies showing that children of two stable heterosexual parents fare better than those from homosexual parents, as well as those from broken homes and single parents. The latest study, which has been roundly condemned by gay rights groups is actually very rigorous and convincing. Worth a read.

[sciencedirect.com]

Interesting question. If I were gay, the thought of marriage and the 50/50 potential of divorce...I don't think I would want the former. However, there does need to be some law for dividing property for two or more people that combine resources over a period of time. I personally, think of marriage as the traditional man/woman combo. maybe there needs to be another name for it with same sex marriage.

As for family, I don't think it's the best environment for children. now if a kid has the option of orphan/foster care for upbringing...then a same sex/same sex household could be quite a bit better for them. Lots of variables. Bottom line, if kids get the basics of responsible behavior figured out in a household, they tend to do ok. There is no license to be a parent so any ole jack wad can step up and do it.

Not really, as nature created two sexes for a very specific reason. Children need balance in their lives, and that can only truly come from including both sides (sexes) into the equation.

I agree. I think moms and dads bring unique things to the table. Do you know of anything that empirically proves this, by chance?

Might be something that's hard to prove... especially if you're a leftist social scientist who doesn't want to see that result.

@jnaatjes It is somewhat difficult to prove, and I suspect the LGBT community would conveniently dismiss evidence that would go against their views.

@SpikeTalon I would put that as, "It is not at all difficult to prove... but the progressive left would not only dismiss any such proof, but they would socially ostracize you for even attempting such a thing."

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21671
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.