slug.com slug.com

83 4

What is everyone's opinion on the word "Retard"

Something I am noticing in the culture is the repetition of the phrase, "you can't say that anymore". I don't necessarily think evolving the language to a more sensitive state is a good thing. So I'd like to know that what you guys think about a word, that I used to use to add dynamism and mild shock to mt speech for the sake of humour.

• 63 votes
  • 29 votes
  • 0 votes
  • 3 votes
  • 85 votes
Marcus_Aurelius 7 Mar 14

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

83 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There shouldn't be a need to police speech. The speech police are just so... what's the word I'm looking for... retarded.

Second

I would never call someone with a disability a retard. I have and will always call my friends retards when they act like morons.

Second

To those who are against the use of the term, but not against banning it, or even on the banning outright side, let me illustrate a scenario, which actually happened to me a few months back:

I was at work and began using a tool. the tool was broken, so I went to my shift lead and asked, "The pump is disabled, what do you want me to do?" She responded, "lets not be disparaging to the differently-abled". I had to correct her for the fact that I was literally using the correct term for an object that could not fulfill its base function, and I was being lectured on my choice of words, instead of effectively finding a resolution to the problem.

When most people use the term retard, it is not disparaging or denigrating a mentally disabled person. If this was the logic then surely calling someone stupid would be denigrating to stupid people, or calling someone a mentally disabled person would be denigrating to mentally disabled people. I get that there can be cruel people out there who would intentionally use the term to hurt people, but I don't see how socially policing the word through this logic would work.

I realize that you shared what happened not to be funny, but to illustrate a very serious matter. However, this story just sent me into a fit of laughter so severe I woke up my poor husband who is trying to sleep after a very long day...

?

(BTW, I completely agree with your sentiments on the matter - even if I cannot stop laughing...)

@DeplorableMe I am glad you find it funny, usually I do tell it for laughs, and usually people do find the absurdity of the scenario funny, it is the few who don't who are typically the problem.

That's a good point, and reminds me of this observation where psychologists come up with a new technical term for someone with a low IQ because the old term had become an insult. Eventually, the new term itself becomes an insult, and they reconvene to start the cycle all over again. Idiot, imbecile, and retard were all medical terms since co-opted as insults (with the latter still in transition).

Yup I'mma say 280

@kingtet That's exactly what happened in my younger days. The low IQ class was called the Retarded class. Then all the kids called it the "Retard" class. They changed it to "Learning Disabled" class. Then the kids called the "DUH..... LD Retards"..... Then they changed it to "Special Education classes" Well, you guessed it, all the kids who were in "Special Ed" were suddenly "speeeecciallll". Then "handicapped"..... became "HandiCAPABLE". This is STILL going on. Instead of continually changing the name just accept that some folks are different and it doesn't matter what you call it some folks will make light of it.

I have a Daughter with Down syndrome.
The word retard or retarded is not offensive to me or her. Because when you teach your children self respect and morals as well as self responsibility. They don't get easily offened. They are not victims of other's in any manner. Not though word's bullying or otherwise.

Respect to you for holding such an ethos, and instilling it in your daughter.

Right with you. My wife and I are my brother-in-law's legal guardian. He's mentally 10 years old... he is very independent and able to be - but we have to watch over him... hearing "you're retarded" is a bit of a hit, but I realize that most folks are just ignorant.
Honestly, I think the joke is on the folks calling people "retarded". He's happier than most of them could ever hope for...

@Paisley_Pirate thank you God Bless

Sensitivity is not an admirable quality. Subtle types of sensitivity (Empathy for example) can be. If you find yourself being offended by words you're only really damaging yourself. The word retard doesn't hurt, it's the fact that someone thinks you're retarded that hurts. Or, the incredibly depressing realization that you may be retarded

So we have taken Mentally Retarded shrunk it down to retard. The original meaning "subaverage intellectual ability equivalent to or less than an IQ of 70 that is accompanied by significant deficits in abilities (as in communication or self-care) necessary for independent daily functioning, is usually present from birth or infancy, and is manifested especially by delayed or abnormal development, by learning difficulties, and by problems in social adjustment" still holds.

If I tell you to "stop being retarded" that is exactly what I mean.

I do not see how this is a problem.

I'm actually ok with using it in this way... using it as a direct "You're Retarded" is just annoying and frankly dumb... but pointing out that someone is acting dumb or ignorant, meh.

Thanks
I saw someone refer in this post that retard was offensive and to use moron or stupid instead, while moron is also a medical diagnosis of mental accuity. I started laughing to myself.

I believe the original word is actually to delay or hold back in terms of progress, as a verb, to "retard something". The medical term was not the original meaning.

The first amendment is VERY clear.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

I had a conversation with my sister in law from California recently and I said, “That’s f***ing retarded” and she said “we don’t use that word” and my response was, “you may not, but I do and please don’t tell me what speech I can and can’t use.”

She was shocked, because she isn’t used to someone sitting those limits. Sheep, just moving with the herd. That’s the key, telling people you won't allow your speech to be “retarded” by the herd mentality.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

@Mkschuette.... My niece is in sunny California, moved from her Conservative parents in Fla. She uses her new uber, California leftie language to shut my brother down every time he opens his mouth. She has been totally brainwashed. She won't even let him see his grandkids out of fear that he will contaminate them by saying something that might make them think. SMDH. What can we do about this?

Hilarious

My favourite word when dealing with morons!

It is just a word. The meaning is "slow" or "to slow." Some substances retard growth, others retard fire. Some developmental anomalies retard cognition. Noting slow cognition is not a value judgment.
Not so fond of the word preceding it in his sentence.

This excerpt from one of George Carlin's HBO Comedy Specials offers quite the insight on Politically Correct Language or as he calls it,"Soft Language'.

This bit is a classic.

My late wife was a special education teacher when I met her, specializing in the instruction of developmentally challenged and autistic spectrum children. I never once heard her use that word in reference to one of her . I haven't used it in that context since about the sixth grade. That said, the word itself is a valid verb. I don't use it as a noun, but I uphold the right of others to do so. I think it typically says more about the one uttering it in that context that the object of their usage.

It is a technical word that has been bastardized by overuse by laypeople. I have little respect for people randomly deciding that they are offended by words. I tend to say things to trigger them on purpose. I can be a bit of an ass at times.

It is a perfectly good word to describe someone/something that is not as advanced as the norm. Just use it, people need to get over themselves.

the word is non-threatening the word retard means delayed everybody stop overreacting how it's applied to the individual it's not it's not a nasty word.

Ignorance combined with emotionalism... The word literally means to slow a process down. Paint retardant slows the curing process. People who are retarded have a slower cognitive process. That's all. Its not like they are straight stupid, they are people and they still have value. Learn your vocabulary, kids

very true... and when used in that context it is no big deal... but how many times does it get used that way with anyone questioning it?... this reminds me of the time a politician used the word "niggardly" and it cost him his position...

Retard use to simply mean something along the lines of "decreased in one measure or another." The military still uses it when decreasing the the rate of fire for certain supporting arms. To be mentally retarded means just that. Mentally held back. I think it is silly to pass the buck from "retard," a word that was relatively harmless for the majority of it's existence in speech, to the next word that will replace it in meaning and soon thereafter it's meaning when used in a hateful context.

At the end of the day, at every possible point, speech should be more permissive, not more restrictive.

It is acceptable when it refers to the prime minister of our once a beautiful country

I miss the word Retard....it is so useful 😀 When I was in elementary we had a short hand version...."MR". (Pronounced "emarr" ) (Mental Retard)

I try not to use it, b/c I had a friend in Jr. High who's sister was mentally handicap. He didn't like the word 'retard' or 'retarded', so out of respect and consideration, I tried not to use it. Occasionally, it will slip, and I feel bad, b/c it puts his sister in the same group as the people I use it against, and she was all right. With that though, I don't think any word is off limits if there is FoS, just be prepared for the consequences if you use it.

I can understand you not wanting to use it, and feeling bad for using it, and I do acknowledge there are consequences to using words. What I don't like is that there seem to be many people in your situation who choose themselves to not use the word retarded, for perhaps respectable reasons, then feel as if it is appropriate to try and get others to do the same.

Its kind of like, oh I find this offensive because I know someone who would find this offensive. It seems like a strenuous and elaborate type of protectionism, which only ends up pathologically trying to control another individual's expression through guilt or shame. And that's not to say that maybe there should or shouldn't be types of individual expression that should be restrained through social means, but offensive words seem a bit like an impossible task.

Similar story here although where I come from the term we used was spastic. A friend of mine in school (let’s say up to 11 years old I can’t remember what age we were exactly) always flipped out when anyone used the word due to his sister being significantly disabled, totally lost his shit and started throwing fists 100% of the time. His reaction always stuck with me over the years, it didn’t stop me using words like that (or later on retard as we became more Americanised in our slang, or faggot for someone soft etc etc) but I was always more aware of my ‘audience’ when throwing it around ever since. At the same time, my child brain even then was wondering why he’s getting so upset at an interaction that had nothing to do with him and definitely had nothing to do with his poor sister. Now even as a bitter adult I tend to use words like that rarely and almost exclusively with guys I grew up with and keep it a little more civil and less banter-y outside of that group, but will definitely be having a confrontation if some social justice zombie thinks they’re gonna shame me for a slip up.

I hate to use the retread statement "Orwellian" but here comes the beureau of unwords.

I wouldn't call a handicap person that (unless they started it.) I have called my siblings this. But mostly, it's a legitimate word in the English language that can be used in many ways.

It’s a valid word.
I often use it as a deliberate insult towards people who certainly seem to cleave to stupid ideas and thought processes.
I would consider it to be unnecessarily unkind and rude to be used against someone who honestly has some mental issue.
Even though I despise the “PC” Movement, I have to admit that I like the term “Challenged” when talking about people who, specifically through no doing of their own, have a true infirmity ... such as in “Mentally Challenged”.

I use handicapped also.

Better than being called a leftist. The ones I know lead and enjoy a productive life.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22725
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.