slug.com slug.com

15 0

The Question of Reparations

There's been a lot of chatter these days regarding reparations. Are you for or against it?

• 2 votes
  • 37 votes
  • 0 votes
ckennettbaker 5 Mar 28

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Just no!

I noticed this week that the EU is considering reparations for Afro-Europeans. I assume that means for the Zulus and Indians and Abbysinians etc. Where will this madness end?

Let's take a look at the payouts of the welfare state and affirmative action and tell me we have not payed reparations millions of times over.

What do you do about the hundreds of Blacks that owned slaves? I am not paying for someone else's sins.

I will not pay someone for sins committed generations ago.

My ancestors were driven out of France because they were Huguenots, French Protestants driven out in the 1700's. I demand an apology and reparations from the French government. Make sense?

My ancestors too through the Rembert line through SC. Nice to meet you!

My Acadian french ancestors were deported from Nova Scotia (by the British) in 1775 and dumped on a wharf in Boston. I wants reparations as well!

Uh ... for or against ... is not exactly a yes/no question.

There is no-one alive that was a slave to whom any “reparations” would be due.
Slavery at the time was socially and culturally acceptable ... perhaps unfortunate, perhaps not.
Slavery continues to this day in the continent blacks came from.
Slaves were purchased from sellers in the African continent and the most usual alternative option was death.
Liberia was created as a home for the freed slaves to return to ... almost all opted out for obvious reasons.
An awful lot of people make it seem like the USA was guilty of endless oppression of slaves where, in fact, the accepted practice of slavery existed in the USA for LESS THAN 88 YEARS in total.

I honestly get tired of the whining BS put out there by people who haven’t the slightest idea WHAT “Slavery” IS and wouldn’t know a “Slave” if it bit them.
Life IS Hard ... before the 1900’s ... Life was MUCH HARDER ... for EVERYONE.

I have an ancestor that was Drawn and Quartered and Whose Head was Hung on the Walls of London (exactly like William Wallace) ... where do I get in line for “reparations”?

Maybe. But it sure does give you the opportunity to voice your opinion, right? 😉

@ckennettbaker
The lack of the ability to “check a box” kind of requires an actual answer.
Though I would note that I am never at a loss for an answer ...

@Bay0Wulf I'm sorry it didn't meet with your approval.

@ckennettbaker
Ah ... no ... my “approval” is certainly not required ... it wasn’t my “poll”.
It would simply be better to couch the question in a manner that it can be answered in.
Are you for it? “No/Yes”
Or Against it? “Yes/No”

I note everyone selected “No” so I guess nobody else was disturbed by the way you set it up ... I guess I must be picky ...

@Bay0Wulf Noted. However, I thought the Grammar Police only patrolled Facebook. I'll try harder next time. (I'm only bustin' your chops, Bro. Have a Snickers.)

It's a terrible political tool to lure black votes. I think it is degrading to the black population. Being white has become something to be ashamed of, according to some politicians. 65 years old and I have never seen such decisive tactics and racial divide in this country. It's all done for political favor and it is destructive. They actually see the black population as slaves, they talk about them as though they are living in slavery because they themselves have had privilege and guilt. I do not fit in that category, my friends, neighbors and coworkers have been black, live the same as me. The politicians need therapy not reperations.

The south converted its money to Confederate dollars and the economy crashed at wars end. War debt sucked off viable monies and battle scarred land with heavy losses of soldiers cost even more . There's nothing left with which to pay.

It’s like an eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth, where everyone ends up blind and toothless. Calls for reparations are just virtue signaling rallying cries for political notoriety.

You can take any nation, any land in the world and if you look back far enough you'll find that one group of people did awful things to another group of people. Civilization in some places is only decades deep.
Even though the Sins of the Fathers are often visited upon the sons, they shouldn't be. And the sins of the great, great grandfathers... both the sinners and the sinned against are long gone.
So promising reparations is just pandering. Elizabeth Warren is a proponent of it... which isn't really surprising.

No. Because nobody owes me anything. Should be self-explanatory. Good and bad stuff happens. Life goes on.

Besides, anyone with good deception detection mind skills would know that this is just a trap set up to get those return back to the "mental plantation" so they could harvest you for votes.

If the bait is too obvious, don't take it.

I doubt there would ever be a way to distribute this in a way that many wouldn’t feel left out. Also, how much money is enough to make one complexity let go of the past? It seems almost insulting to suggest there is.

I never was a slave and never owned one

Reparations does not apply to me

Blunt but true

Source:

Stupid is as stupid does

The truth is hard for some people. However, the fact that some people don't like it doesn't make it any less true.

Without a doubt, the era of slavery in America is a dark stain on our Nation's history. However, the key word here is "history". It's a part of our past that we can't change. So, my problem with the whole idea of reparations is very basic: There aren't any present day slaves in our Country, nor are there any present day slave owners. Therefore, the idea of expecting non-slave owners to monetarily compensate non-slaves is ludicrous to me.

It was LESS THAN 88 years from the time this Completely New Concept of “Freedom” ... of a Democratic Republic ... the USA ... WAS CREATED ... until the End of Slavery in the USA.

THAT’S “History” ...

ALL the time BEFORE that was NO Responsibility of the Colonists who would Become US Citizens.

@Bay0Wulf Well, I certainly wasn't alive 88 years ago. Were you?

@ckennettbaker
Ummm ...?
No ... it ENDED after less than 88 years after the Founding of the Country.
That is, you’d have to be approximately 145 years old TODAY to have been either a Slave or Slaveholder ... which I am certainly not.

@Bay0Wulf Dude, are you always this tightly wound?

@ckennettbaker LOL yes he is! But I love it.

@BrunosDad , yup... I'm cool with it. He knows his stuff, unlike the usual dribble one might find on other social platforms.

@ckennettbaker
I guess ... no, I know ... I take most things pretty seriously ... especially things that most people would simply like to “laugh off”.
Then too I would point out that I am the LAST person you’d want to go to a comedy club with. It’s not that I never “get” the joke ... it’s because I “get” it several minutes later ...

@Bay0Wulf I have to ask... do you laugh out loud when you finally get the joke?

@ckennettbaker
Yeah ... often.
Most usually people around me obviously think I’ve gone nuts because it’s so out of context.

@Bay0Wulf Hey... I know you mentioned that you'd be the last person someone would want to take to a comedy club, but I think that would be just about as hilarious as the comic. Although, I've been to a few clubs where the heckler was way better than the comedian.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:25587
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.