slug.com slug.com

6 1

How can we know that God exists

Tbone 5 Mar 30

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think an explanation of my concept of God is in order.
First a view about life, there are a few points I ascribe to “life” or “living things”.

1. Life always wants to stay alive
  2. Life wants to grow
  3. Life wants to procreate

I wanted to make it very simple, because simple is elegant and most likely true, it had to cover every type of life, perhaps even life we are not even aware exists.

Now, take a minute to re-read those statements, go ahead, I’ll wait.

Ok, do you agree? Did you apply any differences you might have thought of that are different to viruses, bacterium, paramecium, plants, besides animals and humans?

Now back to God, I believe god is an energy, a conscious energy, god is the force that makes living things “alive”.

I believe God is the “lifeforce” that makes life, ALIVE.

Life can be found everywhere on earth, in the deepest depths of the oceans, the deep mines, the high altitudes, in conditions we once thought totally impossible.

If God is the lifeforce, then that would place god “everywhere, always, and at once”, would it not? If god is the lifeforce in humans, then he knows every thought, every word and idea, he knows all that humans know and all they do, all the time and always has.

It won't allow me to give you a thumbs up Towman.

Knowing occurs in reality. Knowing is that automatically occurring sensual event which takes place between two objects when at least one of these is a brain.

Since God is not a real object,then, God cannot be known to exist.

which version of God would not be real?

God "the concept of creator" exists ! We are here ... therefore God exists ... it or he/she exists because we are here.

God is a concept .... an idea.

I have come to believe that we must first define what you mean when you say "god". God means something different to me than others. I just know my "god" exists, for me, I say the fact that I am, and am aware that I am, is all the proof I need.

For me, the path to know God is to search scripture, studying it out in your mind. Praying. Not just canned prayer but speaking to God from the heart. Talk about what is going well with gratitude for these blessings. Also talk about your challenges, frustrations discouragements. Speak from the heart.

Lastly, strive to live the teachings of God. There is a scripture that states "prove he herewith." Live Gods laws to the best of your ability. Serving those around you. Loosing yourself in the service of others.

In time, after studying, praying, and living gospel teachings, asking forgiveness when we fall short, we are changed. Just a little every day, we are changed. We are becoming Christlike - full of love and charity, which is why we are here. We begin to see the fruits of living in faith. These fruits are how we can know that God is there.

I legitimately don't think you can, but there's a few interesting ways to approach it. One could go for the arguement that the world is so beautiful in all of its splendor, complexities and balances that there has to be - but one could argue the opposite with cases for the opposite.
One could also argue that what cannot be explained by science, atleast not yet must be a divine force, but just as you can prove there is you cannot prove there is not.
I personally believe the simplest and best argument to belief (for a judeo Christian god) is to simply think of it like Pascal's wager. If there is a God AND you are right well you get rewarded. I cannot bring myself to believe in faith personally and I'm quite jealous of those who can but there can be a logical reason as to why you should believe I'm God but not that he exists.. it's very strange.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:25985
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.