slug.com slug.com

10 3

Are the norms of traditional morality just another form of political correctness? And are culture warriors just another kind of SJW? Moreover, if I find myself agitated after listening to SJWs and the liberal media, does that mean I'm triggered?

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If they were used like a cudgel to keep people under control and silence dissent, then yes. But no, morality is no more a system of control than your mom stopping you from eating candy all day. And what do you mean "Traditional" morality? Are you a moral relativist?

Not a moral relativist. By traditional I'm not referring to the universal morality of the Enlightenment, I'm referring to the "traditional values," e.g., children should be seen and not heard, women should submit to their husbands and men generally, homosexuality, adultery, and divorce should be forbidden, authorities should inherently be respected and are ordained by God, public schools should have Christian prayer and Bible study and segregation should be allowed in tax exempt Christian schools, creationism should replace evolution in school curriculum, legislation should comply with the Ten Commandments, etc.

@WilyRickWiles half of that is not morality, those are stereotypes of Christians and their beliefs. And we should bring back bible study and prayer to our schools. Why should Christianity be the only religion basically banned from public schools?

It would depend on the extent of your reaction, if excessive then you will most certainly have been- 'triggered' lol.

Hey are you the guy who just had my conservative hero Dr Steve Turley on the show. He has some very many interesting observations about conservative trends compared to the always triggered gobalist leftists. I liked your word play and how it spun the narrative around, very clever.

Tbh, these are all semantics questions. The labels don't matter except for the ideas they communicate. After listening to SJWs, are you agitated enough that you would consider it a violation of your principles? Being agitated at someone for something they've said isn't a problem on its own. Becoming incoherent, or simply losing composure over it is more the issue. I generally laugh at SJWs not because they lose their composure, but because they do so with so little cause. You can trigger them on accident. That's something children do.

I am not sure if this a purist take on it but it seems to me that there is no such thing as "traditional" morality. Ideas and behaviors are either moral or they are amoral. Morality itself is not something that can be quantified. Like the terminology "social" justice - or "social justice warrior" - there can be no such thing as "social" justice. Justice itself like its necessary antecendent morality cannot be quantified.

Then social science is invalidated

@Demere social science isn't really a science to begin with

Morality is about how I should live my life. SJW philosophy (like some religions or cults) is about telling someone else how live their life. I try not to use SJW terms like “triggered” because that’s just playing the game by their rules.

Are the norms of traditional morality just another form of political correctness?
Political correctness came up in an attempt to not offend people but it implies this person/population are on a different level because they are "oppressed".
Norms of traditional morality probably deals with bigger issues than the way you talk about people.

culture warriors just another kind of SJW?
SJW is probably the extremist side of culture warriors but they are kind of on the same spectrum from the following definition of culture warrior. (never heard of "culture warrior" before now. Sound like an other blanket term to dimiss peoples point with) [oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com]

if I find myself agitated after listening to SJWs and the liberal media, does that mean I'm triggered?

U triggered bro ? Just ask yourself how you would feel if you are being asked that. If you laugh and it doesnt affect the rest of your day then probably not. If it does then maybe you were a bit triggered.

You are only triggered if you go on some social media and tell everyone about it.

Just finishing JBP Maps of Meaning lectures (series of 12). He argues "traditional morality" may be societally and biologically ingrained. He answered the question whether these traditional morals are simply one of many valid positions or are they something more. He argues that not all value systems are equivalent.

Indeed so...but what counts is truth and facts...not just a string of characters both Literally and Figuratively.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:27483
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.