slug.com slug.com

1 5

René and Renate Guttmann became part of SS Dr. Josef Mengele's notorious twins experimentation, after they were deported to the Auschwitz-Birkenau killing center.

They were separated in the camp. One day, René saw his sister from afar. "Nothing was said and I just looked at her and knew she was there," he remembered later. "... From that point on—and maybe even before then—I knew that she was alive. It was the inspiration, it was the motivation, to keep me going."

The twins survived but were taken in by different families after the war. René was sent to a Catholic hospital in Czechoslovakia, and a hospital administrator's family took him in. Renate was placed in an orphanage in France.

A chance opportunity when the twins were nine eventually brought them back together. Renate was chosen to travel to the United States as part of a campaign to raise money for Jewish children's orphanages in France. The doctor who had taken in René spotted her in a Life magazine story about refugee children. An American family that had already decided to adopt Renate adopted René as well.

#NationalAdoptionMonth

Photo: Courtesy of Irene Guttmann Slotkin Hizme

Naomi 8 Nov 2

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There were probably more than one pair of twins that mad Faust-Xi-like Nazi scientists were experimenting on.

I think you're right. 😟

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:283106
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.