slug.com slug.com

4 4

In a small Oregon Town Google seems to need 10 million gallons of water to cool its data center… wonder how much they use in California where theres been an extreme drought, which has a timeline that largely matches up to the rise of big tech. Google, FB, Twitt. 10mil gallons a day is a lot of hydro

[oregonlive.com]

RobD1 7 Nov 7

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm surprised that Warm Springs isn't kaboshing this based upon the impact on salmon migration. Google must be greasing every palm in Wasco County... or threatening to poison the local salad bars. Sorry. I used to live in TD.

California refuses to let farmers use the San Joaquin river.

California limits gamestations to 200 Watts. Google is surely using lots of Watts.

Do you any idea how much water the big almond growers use?

@GaryMysels None, now. I have neighbors who sold their dead almond orchard in California and moved to our irrigated desert oasis.

@DMcCreery1956 @RobD1 @GaryMysels @eschatologyguy @iThink

California was once a farming superpower, with wines that rivaled France and Italy. Today, Cal can't build a commuter rail linking LA and SF.

The San Joaquin estuary should be dammed to create a freshwater reservoir, and not a drop of the river should make it to the ocean.

That being said, some water has to be released to the ocean to keep the reservoir desalinated.

Cal's aqueduct system sucks, and they don't even have the power to operate it. Cal needs bigger aqueducts and it needs power.

How did you create the desert oasis?

Things that California will lose:

@jaymaron Jay, in backward Southern Idaho, farming and ranching are human priorities, not annoyances. We use our rivers to produce food, rather than spy centers. Agriculture has senior water rights. So far, those rights have been upheld. Every summer, my house is surrounded by a green forest of potatoes, beets, cow corn and alfalfa. The evening breeze is thick with the smell of money, aka dairy manure. Last year, the aquafir was refreshed to compensate for residential and food processing growth. I am sad for California. It was a naturally rich and sustaining state. Born in Humboldt County.

@jaymaron The Marxist government of CA has to be replaced first before improvements are made, or they'll just mess it up.

Those are some pretty big dots being connected there. They should lump all their servers in the Arctic.

10m gallons per year?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:284698
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.