slug.com slug.com

4 2

Lawyers wages

How can we say "with liberty and justice for all" when only the filthy rich can afford to hire a lawyer? most lawyers charge a half of your weekly pay for one hour if you are only making 10 dollars an hour.

Dutch 6 Apr 9

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I used to believe lawyers were decent people just like any other profession. I love the law and went to law school. My wife decided to surprise me with a divorce and thats where it went all downhill and lost most of my respect for the field. I hope no one has to go through Family Court because you are in for a nasty ride. Spent more than $115,000 for my attorney's fees and his team for 2 years. All I wanted was to have 50/50 custody of my babies that i fed, clothed, bathed more than my ex-wife. If you are a male, you are disadvantaged and there is no secret about it. Family Court Judges know the attorneys and depending who contributed more for their election might have a different judgement. What I despise the most is her attorney pushing my exwife to file charges upon charges against me. It all started nice but 2 weeks into the divorce proceedings, i was hit with 52 accusations, restraining order (thankfully judge denied it), marital house and full custody. In conclusion, I lost the house, cars, more than 115K in fees but at last i got 50/50 legal and parenting rights. That is, until she decides to bring me back to court and reopen the custody battle again.

I feel your pain, my ex slept with 2 cops so they would tesify against me. the last I saw of my only child she was 3 years old. this summer she turns 21 and want to have nothing to do with me because of the lies told by her mother.

Essentially our justice system is based on the principle of trial by combat, even in civil suits, although there is a great deal more leeway accorded to the courts in civil matters. Trying to assess degree of guilt is difficult at best. We want out justice system to have clear winners and losers, black and white solutions. Yet human behaviors are anything but black and white, they are a hundred shades of gray. And when it comes to equal treatment before the bar of justice, degrees of guilt are left wanting in equal justice. Well, what's a human to do?

When I started practicing ( about 150 years ago) my hourly rate was $75/hour. I have spent decades in courtrooms trying cases. I got better. I became Board Certified in Marital and Family law over 20 years ago. My hourly rate is now $350/hour. I handle complex divorce cases where assets generally exceed a couple of million (sometimes over 100 million). Incomes to match. The issues I deal with are complex and I have demonstrated many years of successful litigation of these matters. To the people I work with my hourly rate is "lunch money". I also do a good bit of pro bono work (mostly teaching young lawyers) as well as provide support to Legal Aid( free legal aid for the poor). Almost every attorney I know does something similar. Bottom line is no one forces any client to hire an attorney. We get hired because we have worked long and hard to develop into effective advocates.

we are not forced to hire a lawyer? I call BS!!! if I were to go into a court battle without a lawyer I would lose even though I was not guilty of anything......

Reasonable rebuttal. I think this is where stuff starts breaking down. We're talking about lawyers as a group, but it can and does break down as individual experiences come up. You serve lower-end millionaires. Others serve upper-end millionaires. Others still serve middle-class, and more lawyers will serve economically disadvantaged. It would be interesting to know whether or not competence follows scale. If rich people get better 'justice' than poor people, that's probably not a good thing at all, and I think that's what's implied by the OP. What do you think of that? Being on the inside, do you know the uglier parts of your profession? Are you willing to speak to that? I'm curious.

@chuckpo Yes. Truth is rich folks get better lawyers and better results. Most of the time both sides have fairly equal access (financially) to similarly qualified attorneys. I don't see a rich person vs a poor one because in family law we have a statute (F.S.61.16) that requires the court to insure both parties to have similar access to attorneys (rich spouse pays for poor spouses lawyer). In personal injury cases it's on a contingency fee basis so the "poor" litigant gets a lawyer without having to come up with money up front. In my field there are many more idiots than competent lawyers. I rarely litigate against them (most of my work is against the same 10 or so lawyers who handle the same type cases I do). When I do it's usually tragic for the other side. Too many mistakes and traps for the unwary. I prefer to have the best lawyer available to work against. Less BS - we both have the same skill set and settle cases much more quickly - or try them more effectively. Yes - the better you are the more you make. Yes there are more instances of incompetence than most realize. Rich vs poor doesn't happen as much as people would expect. Yes going to court without a lawyer is a very bad idea.

The system is insane. I support capitalism, but I do think there's a difference between capitalism with social responsibility, and capitalism with runaway greed. I've told IDW I'm not exactly an 'on the right' conservative, and here's one area when you can begin to see that. This isn't our best version of capitalism, in my opinion, and it's a flavor of capitalism that seems to be celebrated by Republicans.

BUT, it's not just lawyers. Plumbers and electricians are charging insane prices--I had a tree trimmer come around yesterday wanting $1000 to TRIM a single tree. We used to spend $120 at the grocery store, and now it's almost always pushing $300. It used to be people talked about 'making a living'. That's changed to 'making a killing'. That tree trimmer bragged that he was a millionaire and didn't need the money, so he was knocking the regular price of $2200 down to $1000. Everyone thinks they deserve to make $110,000 per year. Sorry, Republicans, it's not ALL about money. If a pharmacy company has a medication on their shelf regular people can't afford--I'll make the moral judgment and say that isn't right. Yep, lawyers make too much money, but this mentality has infected a lot more than just the lawyers.

Well said.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:28960
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.