slug.com slug.com

3 5

“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years. These nations have progressed through this sequence: From bondage to spiritual faith; From spiritual faith to great courage; From courage to liberty; From liberty to abundance; From abundance to selfishness; From selfishness to apathy; From apathy to dependence; From dependence back into bondage.”
― Alexander Fraser Tytler

iThink 9 Dec 10

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

And that's why while in almost every way I think the liberals have the better strategies for doing things...I will, often, like the Republican "spend less" attitude.

I think this is one of the better arguments conservatives have.

That said though...I'm not under the impression that Republicans tend to lower the deficit more than Democrats do. I've actually heard some rumors that they tend to lower it less...so...there's that.

We need fiscal conservatism more now than ever in my humble opinion. So true on the part where people will vote for the candidates who promise them the most.

The Byzantine and Holy Roman empires survived for a millennium. Perhaps faith is a more enduring societal binder than democracy 🤔

Some might take issue with that. Not only did the borders slither around like a Sidewinder, each regime had its own brand of government, often more different than the revolving doors in South America. China as well.

those were not democracies

@iThink Correct. They also had problems with the population wanting more bread and circuses.

If, by faith, you mean imperial greed.

@AdrianRainbow Where there are people there will also be human vices among the virtues.

OMG, you don't say, never! What a fatuous remark.
I wasn't referring to people, I was referring to the Imperialism of the religious establishment, and it's avarice for everything material.

I believe the post we're commenting about states that the avarice of the voters causes the breakdown of democracies.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:295185
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.