slug.com slug.com

6 1

Was Jesus human?

So this might catch a lot of heat, but for the moment I wonder if we could set aside questions of the historicity of Jesus and the veracity of religion in general. What I’m asking is more symbolic (think Jordan Peterson-esque perspective) in nature, although I consider myself a believer (albeit a struggling one). I was brought up in the Christian faith to believe what is common among all mankind is that we are all sinful. That no man or woman is perfect, and that is one of our necessary traits. I was also taught that Jesus was the Son of God, divine Himself, and free from sin. However, it was also taught, at least to me, that Jesus was indeed a man, born of a human mother, mortal; and, that was supposed to convey God’s love for us, that He took the form of man and sacrificed Himself as only a man could. So the contradiction is basically set out: If all men are sinful, and Jesus was a man, then He was either sinful or not a man (human). Has anyone else considered this? What are the implications one way or the other? Is it an ‘exception not the rule’ kind of thing (like THE only exception)? What are some other thoughts?

P.S. I know there are a lot of atheists/agnostics/non-Christians on here, and feel free to comment if you have an opinion on the matter from a symbolic/metaphorical/non-theological perspective, just try to be civil when it comes to the faith of others. And to the faithful, please be respectful of their views, they have a lot to offer.

jrs96 4 Apr 11

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm punting this one back to the top for Good Friday and Easter.

Even given a mind full of doubts my heart still gives humble thanks.

I shouldn't do this--it's been a while and I'll screw it up--but what the heck.

Jesus was a person, in every way that we understand the term. Most of what we read begins as a fully developed man, after decades of following God. Not being God, but becoming God. Imagine God; think for just a minute on the immensity of what that means, the scale and scope of the consciousness of God. Now, put that in a human infant; put all of that in the wonder-filled boy; consider all of that in a hormone laden youth. It took a while for our divine young Lord to become fully formed and conscious.of Himself. Think about all of the temptations you faced growing up--becoming fully you--and imagine facing those temptations exemplarily, God's own Word, Love, and Law embodied.

God came into the world just like the rest of us, not yet ready for the purpose He planned. Just like us, it took a while for Him to prove worthy of the sacrifices our higher callings demand. You have to be fully you, fully formed, to make such sacrifices willfully and willingly. Besides, it takes even God a while to piss off the powers that be enough they they actually crucify you. Jesus was as human as the rest of us and faced all of the same crap we all do and then some...and He was God.

Jesus was both Fully God and Fully man. This was required in order for his become the perfect sacrifice for the propitiation of our sins, past, present and future. Were he not fully man would would still be under the federal headship of Adam.

Jesus took on human form including our sinful nature but he did not sin. He was tempted in all things just like us. He was mortal just like us, otherwise his sacrifice on the cross wouldn't have meant much. God knew the risk they were taking in having him come to earth. If he sinned, he would have been lost forever.

It is not in God's nature to sin. That said, the part of the Christ that was fully man felt the temptation and thereby suffered from it.

No. However it's complex? God IS complex! God in all His glory? could not come to this sinful earth.
To take our sins, Jesus, God, it says in Hebrews laid down His divinity and took on human form.
In laying down FULL divinity, Jesus lost some power, information. His body was physical. So,
Jesus had neither biological mother or father. To be sinless, which He had to be, this was necessary.

I think that what people say they think Jesus was and what they feel he was are not always the same thing. When Mel Gibson's absurdist docudrama, the passion of the Christ came out I spoke with Christian friends about the scenes where he was whipped beyond possible recovery* (for a man) then he carried the cross up the hill.

While people argue that he was a flesh and blood man they insisted that his spirit was such that he could still push through his pain and continue in spite of his injuries. I pointed out that the extent of his injuries as depicted in the film would have made it impossible for a flesh and blood man to physically walk up the hill let alone carry the cross but they had accepted the films depiction with the fervour of blind belief.

It is just a film after all and they could have just said that but their insistence that no matter how extreme his injuries were, he could still continue, demonstrates a level of disconnect between the general way people talk about this topic and who they feel he really was.

You might imagine that I just happen to speak to some very silly people but it's popularity and the general way it was defended online would seem to imply that this was a much more widely accepted perception.

*The scene shows the whip digging in and tearing pieces from a wooden table, then being used on Jesus in the same way (while Satan seemingly skateboards through the crowd). His muscles would have been decimated and he would have had a huge loss of blood plus untold internal injuries abd fractured bones.

@jrs96 Yes, that's a good observation. Although Superman is not believed to be real in the way Jesus was, he was a kind of reverse Jesus in that one was of human body with essentially a non-human spirit/mind and the other didn't have a human body yet he was susceptible to all our human spiritual/mental failings. Although in Supermans battling with his own temptations he is, on that level, essentially as Jesus should be thought of in order for his story to resonate most strongly.

I imagine many would argue that Jesus' spirit/mind was absolutely human... yet if he didn't have this component (passed from Adam) that makes people sinners by nature, which means we have to fight our sinful temptations, then was he really human?

This also raises questions around his "suffering". If he didn't posses the same human temptations and limitations that we do then did he suffer to the same degree that a normal human would have in his position? Even just having a direct line to his father in heaven, would seem to give him the proof and certainty in life and in facing impending death, that normal people don't have... not counting those Christians who would insist they speak to their god with just as much clarity and certainty that Jesus must have.

...but I've definitely gone past any understanding of it that I am capable of. It's at this point I need to accept that I'm just spiritually defective because I can't understand it all.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:29662
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.