slug.com slug.com

17 3

LINK Should we go along with this presidential candidate’s recommendation that we forgive all outstanding college debt?

A Democratic presidential candidate has recommended that the government forgive all college loan debt. Obviously this means that we the taxpayers will assume that debt. They neglect to mention that in the article of course. Do you think this is the way to proceed?

Clammypollack 7 Apr 13

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

A third of my debt is accumulated interest. I'd be happy to refinance at lower rate.

Should that event happen then we, the people, will assume that debt indirectly. How many pension funds have bought all that college debt? Forgive the students from paying that debt and the government is on the hook for guaranteeing the payments to those who hold such debt as investment. And if truth be known, many public pension funds are close enough to bankruptcy now.

ONLY if they want to reimburse me for mine. I had to choose a course I could reasonably afford, and it was more of a trade school. Mine is paid off, but it wasn't easy. I would have liked to go to school for free too. I would feel discriminated against if I not only had to pay for mine, but contribute to everyone else's also.

I am in favor of means-tested college loan forgiveness, by which I mean I am in favor of allowing college loan debt to be discharged through bankruptcy, with the information recorded by the courts/credit agencies for an appropriate amount of time. This way, lenders can make future lending decisions based on who is more reliable.

When going to college, I made choices about which college to attend based on cost and scholarship support. I went to a college further from my home partially for financial reasons. I worked while at school and my family made sacrifices to support me. The student loans that I took out are finished.

In the future, if I want to borrow money to buy a house, the bank should know that I am a reliable borrower. Forgiving student loan debt without a bankruptcy proceeding eliminates that information.

Also, one of the underlying reason that college is so expensive is the easy money available from student loans. Even if the current batch of loans are forgiven, the problem still won't be solved. The next generation will face expensive colleges with the idea that they'll just vote to forgive it all again.

Footnote: Bankruptcy law is actually an enumerated power of the Congress, Article 1 Section 8:
The Congress shall have Power...To establish...uniform Laws on the subject of Bankruptcies throughout the United States;

Well maybe, if they're giving free college to illegal aliens maybe so. I don't know

I keep wondering when American citizens, and particularly voters, will wake up to the fact that we simply cannot pay -- as a nation, that is, "collectively" -- all the government debt that has already been incurred. Social Security will be flat broke (broker than it is, that is) in about fifteen years, if it lasts that long. Medicare is in even worse financial health, and doctors have limits on how many new Medicare patients they can accept. (This, while the population of Medicare-eligible patients is starting to rise sharply.) The money to pay government's existing liabilities simply doesn't exist, and isn't likely to be generated by additional production and taxation. That means ultimate bankruptcy; it's a mathematical certainty, given current levels of wealth generation by the American population as a whole and the levels of taxation that may be possible. The only other "fix" for paying off the United States' sovereign debt is ... inflation. (Many individual states are in even worse financial health than the federal government. This seems to be "widely known", because a lot of people talk about it, but I don't think that it's "widely realized" what the consequences are.) So we certainly aren't in a position to take on massive additional debt.

The level of inflation that would enable nominal "payment of the current debt" -- with worthless dollars, at that point -- would be unacceptable to the current debt holders and would also ruin the nation's economy. Unfortunately for the rest of the world, when the USA goes down, we'll take a lot of the rest of the world with us, and China will be there to pick up the pieces and whatever assets are available for pennies on the dollar. Good news for China in a distant future, perhaps, but they'll be in a world of hurt, too, as their largest market collapses.

When the system crashes, which is all but inevitable at this point, then everything that depends on government support will also crash: police and fire capability and response, military preparedness and capability, legal systems and prisons, and general infrastructure (which we already see crumbling in many cities and states, due to budget shuffles and realignments from decades ago).

I don't doubt that some kind of accommodation will be made for people who have worthless degrees and crushing debt with no way to repay it, and that debt will also be nationalized "for compassionate reasons", and added to the current unpayable debt. That will just hasten the day when the whole house of cards crashes, and unfortunately we'll be left with a lot of idiot citizens with no education (or no education which should have been worth what was paid for it) wondering why this could be so.

When we have a nation full of idiots voting for criminals who think they can "take from the rich" to make and be elected on impossible promises for fantasy mathematics, then we get what we deserve, I guess. "Government generosity" and "compassion" is the fantasy mathematics of our day, starting with Social Security in the 1930s and 40s and since, followed by Medicare in the 1960s, and soon to be "free college" (which will be worth all that it costs the individuals, obviously).

There is no free money.

Well ... I don’t disagree with you ... much ...
I would like to clarify one of your points however ...
“doctors have limits on how many new Medicare patients they can accept”
While the same can be said about MedicAid, the fact is, that Doctors and many Clinics limit “how many” they WILL accept ... not CAN.
MediCare and MedicAid discount their payments to the providers ... often steeply ... AND pack a tremendous amount of Rules and Regulations and Requirements into doing business with them ... not to mention arbitrary changes in payment rates that often backdate as much as a year or more.

Most Doctors and Private Clinics, Private Home Care, Private Providers simply won’t take ANY Insurance because if you take ANY you have to take a percentage of your patients as MediCare/MedicAid patients.
Often the patients who DO have Insurance of some sort, are required to pay the bill and get THEIR money back from the “insurance” company.

@Bay0Wulf I accept that correction, thank you. Yes, it's a business decision regarding "will", not "can".

Over 22 trillion debt and unfunded liabilities are already stolen from our posterity. Sure, forgive student debt and add it to the existing liabilities. Spread the pain and create an American debt slave class, who have no right to their own property. Without the right to personal property, there can be no liberty.

Only if you forgive all my credit card debt too.

No. For the reasons you state.

It's a bit more complicated than just waiving a wand.
The way I could imagine this being positive overall would be if the loss of waiving outstanding federal loans is cheaper by a substantial amount to the cost of the collection.

I have school debt. It sounds nice. But, the thing is it comes with a huge price I can't live with. I wish I were dumber to take the entitlement without knowing what I was giving away. Nothings free. You're going to pay one way or the other.

They are free and easy with other people's money . They fail to realize that the corporate structure has the mechanisms in place to recover everything it pays out . They will get their just reward . Useful idiots have a short service life

You signed a contract to repay the loan. Pay the loan, we tax payers have enough shit to pay as it is. Can't afford to go to college, do something else.

In a word ...
No.

No. My debt, my problem. Teach the next generation to be smarter. Personal responsibility.

No. The debt was made. Anyone signing the student loan contract owes the money. What does need to change is government needs to get out of the student loan business. The cost of education has skyrocketed since government agreed to guarante student loans.

That was the plan all along when Obama "nationalized" the student loan program. Just another way Democrats use our money to get themselves elected....so they can get their covetous paws on more of our money.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:30512
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.