slug.com slug.com

1 3

LINK Democrats Lost Their Majority in the Senate (For Now) and That’s Kind of a Big Deal

Last week, Sen. Ben Ray Luján (D-N.M.) suffered a stroke and underwent brain surgery. He is currently hospitalized in Albuquerque. He is expected to return to the U.S. Senate in four to six weeks, assuming there are no further medical complications. However, during his absence, Democrats no longer have a majority in the Senate—Republicans have a 50-49 majority.

This means that until Luján returns, a united GOP can block the Democrats’ agenda and there’s nothing the Democrats could do about it.

This is actually a big deal. In addition to blocking the Democrats’ legislative agenda, Luján’s absence could potentially impact Joe Biden’s Supreme Court nomination.

sqeptiq 10 Feb 5

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

When I was young I would complain that Congress would do nothing. Now I hope Congress can do nothing. Isn't life interesting?

@Garsco Many politicos measure their impact by the number of laws they wrote or pushed. Even if there is an existing law, they feel the need to make a new one. This satisfies the boneheads who put them there.
Why not challenge them with a new metric: what outdated or harmful laws did you scrub off the books?
Same process as in many businesses; when difficult to increase revenue, decrease costs.

@Garsco Dems love to showboat. That is why new laws are pushed, even if existing laws accomplish exact same thing. In addition, the SWAMP is almost all Dems. Their jobs depend upon "interpreting" (aka -- expanding to fulfill your fantasy of dictating to all about) and implementing law.
This extra work costs $$. As DJTrump pointed out.
Can't expect a Dem to care about that. After all, the $$ come from other people, "those people".

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:311262
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.