slug.com slug.com

1 7

[verdictwithtedcruz.locals.com]
I think that the biggest reason the Constitution didn't originally designate Congressional term limits is because they envisioned representatives who were successful business or professional members of the communities served, folks who would serve the government temporarily and then return to their life's work. We now seem to mostly have bureaucrats who have no concept of real life.

GlenGardner20 7 May 1

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes. George Washington led the concept by example, and retired from politics, even though he had every chance of being elected again. Citizen-statesman were envisioned as temporary caretakers of our government, as can be seen in some of the Federalist Papers.

Among the intentions of the founders of the Constitution were the escape from the tyranny of professional politicians - especially kings, princes, counts, barons.... Today that means professional politicians like career Governors, Representatives and Senators.

Term limits for Representatives should be 2 years, 4 for Senators and 6 for Governors, with no possibility of repeating later. That roughly matches the intentions of the Constitution before the 17th Amendment - which never should have been passed.

Actually I think Washington served two terms; the second reluctantly.

What was the reason for the 17th? BTW, while not disagreeing with your suggested length of the terms, governors' terms should be determined individually by the states.

@GaryMysels I agree that States have the responsibility of determining their governors terms. That said, I think they should not allow more than 6 years of service.

@GaryMysels, @Geofrank I stand corrected. Washington served two terms, and declined a third, which was allowed before Presidential term limits were imposed, after Eisenhower.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:334919
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.