slug.com slug.com

3 0

Libertarian Party

A strong Libertarian candidate could finish second in the 2020 presidential election.
Can you name one?

Facci 7 Apr 24

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No, a Libertarian candidate could not finish second in 2020. Not a chance. Even if they could, I couldn't name a Libertarian who is dumb enough to run in that party. If they are smart enough to win, they will run as a Republican or even a Democrat.

I am not saying they shouldn't run. I am glad Ron Paul ran as a Libertarian because he gained a lot of important exposure that has shaped how things are today.

Still, no Libertarian has any real shot of coming in second or even coming close to second.

Even with voter ID laws?

@Facci I don't think that would change anything. Granted, I don't know exactly how many people vote illegally or while dead. I suspect that too many people vote R or D as a matter of tradition to seriously consider voting for an L.

Only two routes to a third party having success: 1. A mass movement that displaces the Republicans or Democrats or 2. Ranked choice voting or something similar.

@WilyRickWiles How about three years of false Democrat Party approved propaganda, infanticide, and rigged primaries. The most popular Democrat candidate for the nomination for two presidential campaigns in a row isn't even a Democrat. What if they deny him the nomination again?

@Facci I think a small minority of people see it that way.

@WilyRickWiles, @Facci That won't persuade the bulk of Democrats to vote against their party. They, like Republicans, are more loyal to party and general platform than to any candidate.

Sam Seder, currently in first place in national polling: [en.wikipedia.org]

Sadly, I personally concur with the comment below. If there is any Libertarian candidate I believe the closest would be Larry Sharpe who ran for governor in New York State. He's gained a lot of traction. But I believe he only got 1% of the vote in 2018. The best bet would be for Libertarians to run as Republicans.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:33608
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.