slug.com slug.com

3 1

To borrow an expression from novelist Margaret Atwood, I'd say that we are "doomed by hope".
Hope drives us to invent new fixes for old messes, which in turn create ever more dangerous messes.
Hope elects the politician with the biggest empty promise; and as any stockbroker or lottery seller knows, most of us will take a slim hope over prudent and predictable frugality.
Hope, like greed, fuels the engine of self-destructive capitalism.

Matias66 6 May 29

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Hope would be the wrong word. I believe the word delusion is more appropriate.

Unfortunately, often enough the two are like Siamese twins....

@Matias66 Your experience? Then you must be putting your hope too often on the wrong things.

Was it Margaret Atwood who inspired you to post this or "Hope, like greed, fuels the engine of self-destructive capitalism"?

She probably hopes her next novel sells well.

It's a character in one of her novels who makes these statements. I don't know if the author herself subscribes to these views. I certainly do.

@Matias66 Ohh...the author does subscribe to those views.

So you are on board with the WEF?

"Hope and change" brought about the worst economic performance in US history.

“The fact that so many successful politicians are such shameless liars is not only a reflection on them, it is a reflections on us. When the people want the impossible, only liars can satisfy.” - Thomas Sowell.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:341561
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.