slug.com slug.com

2 4

Breaking US news, Roe overturned by Supreme Court.

The US Supreme Court’s decision Friday to overturn the landmark abortion decision Roe v. Wade is expected to ban or restrict the procedure for over 40 million women across at least 26 states.

While the high court’s decision to uphold the Mississippi law challenging Roe does not outlaw abortion, it does hand regulatory power to state governments — the majority of which have indicated their intention to make it illegal to terminate a pregnancy.-
[nypost.com]

SpikeTalon 10 June 24

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

So, in some states, abortion is still legal.

Yes, and will probably remain legal under some circumstances in almost every State.

Mississippi will become the benchmark for SCOTUS. If a state outright bans, it will get overturned in the SC.

@govols Abortion cannot be debated in a black & white matter, can it? If I was raped and subsequently became pregnant, yet wasn't allowed to have an abortion, I might even consider suicide.

@Naomi

I don't have A opinion; I'm a damned mess on the issue. I've held pro-choice, pro-abortion, moral objection but not my decision, this is fucking child sacrifice to the gods of Liberalism at this point....and I can often hold all of those together in my head simultaneously. I could maybe moderate the debate, but I would be a poor representative for any given position.

I think, legally speaking, Tracy is pretty spot on.

@govols Believe or not, I've come across 'sensible' liberals who live in America. They very much care about unborn children and consider abortion as the last resort.

@Naomi

I don't doubt it. I WAS a sensible, er, classical liberal, as I was recovering from libertarianism. I remain rather fond of liberalism, but have pulled it apart over twenty or thirty years and see massive flaws that I've not yet integrated into an updated set of heuristics.

@govols No need to label yourself. One should be allowed to change one's stance as the circumstances change.

People NEED to read this opinion. I heard today that they are going after Miranda because of this. The hysteria is fever pitch.

I intend to at least read the synopsis of the ruling, and scan the concurrent and dissenting opinions.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:347986
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.