slug.com slug.com

2 1

Interesting video

HerrDarkAgain 7 Aug 22

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

3d printing is a cool technology, but it is limited for sure, the common printers are limited in their materials. They have a place in prototyping, but most 3d printers are too slow to be practical for production. CNC milling seems to be far more game changing even still though it is an older technology.

"Limited in their materials" uhm your obviously behind the times [all3dp.com]
You got almost an unlimited list of a variety of materials to print on an FDM printer, and many machine shops are integrating 3D printing into their shops.

@HerrDarkAgain after reading through that page i still stand by my original statement. Yes there are ways to make parts from metals on lower end printers, but to actually achieve the strength of metal it has to have significant work following the print that bonds the metal together. Most parts could likely be printed or molded then cast with aluminum or iron faster. I think the technology has potential but subtractive manufacturing still makes more sense for most applications.

@Mechanic You do understand this is basically moldless casting right?
It is cheaper, just as reliable, and just as strong, The real plus is you can print internal passages.
Now instead of charging a customer $300 for 75-90% waste loss(casting 15-30% waste loss) material the shop can charge the customer $80 for the exact same part with under 3% waste loss.
Keep holding onto your belief instead of the facts, 3D printing will be as much a part of a machine shop as having a mill, a lathe, and a surface plate.

"Populism" is for those who need someone else to tell them what to think.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:362898
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.