slug.com slug.com

7 7

PayPal reverses course, withdraws policy that would have fined users for 'misinformation'

In a censorship experiment gone awry, PayPal reversed course Saturday night and said it was withdrawing a new policy that would have allowed the company to fine users $2,500 if they spread "misinformation."

The company sent a statement to the National Review saying the Acceptable Use Policy had been sent out mistakenly….

[justthenews.com]

Garsco 8 Oct 8

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Proving once again that it's always about the money.

Just when I start preparations to leave PayPal as I left Patreon, they correct the very thing I was upset about. Perhaps they saw the huge losses coming their way.

If it's misinformation about a product, or other. Fair enough methinks. Not something it's got nothing at all to do with them.

This just means there are woke policy makers in PayPal who were prevailed over by cooler, business-oriented heads who saw a drop in transactions because of the move. Time to look a replacement for PayPal.

A fine is a penalty imposed by a government (or at least government backed) authority. By definition, a private company cannot impose fines and legally enforce them without explicitly acting as an agent of government, which would clearly violate the First Amendment, at least in spirit.

What this would be is PayPal users paying for the “privilege” of engaging in free speech. It would also mean PayPal would be a corporate entity acting like a government (or potentially for the government). It is textbook Mussolini fascism.

Wankers.

Smart move on their part, society doesn't need any more censor police, and it's none of PayPal's business what people do on their social media accounts. Times like that sure glad I don't use any of the well known social media platforms.

I suspect it's coming back sooner or later.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:373000
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.