slug.com slug.com

4 3

This sort of thing should never get the chance to become that widespread, just sad. The Government has really failed our veterans...

Suicide among veterans more than double the number officially reported-
[redstate.com]

SpikeTalon 10 Oct 30

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I raise a toast to absent comrades and fallen friends, and all those who fell afterward by the slow erosion of their minds. "Fair winds and following seas, my brothers and sisters, until we stand watch together again on those streets paved with gold." OORAH!!!

I suspect that the large amount of suicides in recent generations of veterans over previous generations might, at least here in America, actually have more to do with generational changes than anything else. I suspect that recent generations have not been as well equipped to handle adversity as previous ones. As the country has become more devoted to secular humanism and the inevitable moral relativism that comes in its wake, the worldview and moral values that enabled previous generations to endure such hardship without taking their own lives has been stripped away. And that doesn' take into account the fact that the current generations get far too much of their "social interaction" through their computers and phones rather than in person.

As a veteran who is a member of three veterans organizations (the VFW, American Legion, and MOFW) and who has spent a lot of time with veterans from previous as well as current generations, I have seen the differences. I have also observed that the combat veterans who are coping best are those who have a strong faith and a strong support community around them. This is one reason why veterans organizations are trying to get the current generations of veterans to join us and get involved. We could help look after them and provide support. Also, of course, as a pastor, I would hope to help provide them with the spiritual support that would help them find peace. I see them as victims of a society in decay.

And it wouldn't help that they saw they were fighting useless wars, not for
their country at all.

Should one fight, learn to kill others in wars that have hidden agendas that
do get exposed?

Complicated issues.

Do families knowing it's corrupt send their young sons or get them
out of US?

@2FollowHim Frankly, the veterans I've met who think that they have been “fighting useless wars, not for their country at all” have been few and far between. Nor have they felt abandoned or unappreciated by their fellow citizens. To be sure, Vietnam veterans often felt abandoned or unappreciated by their fellow citizens, but even they don't typically feel that way now, since sentiments have changed a lot over the years.

If anything, the Afghanistan veterans I've known, for example, although mostly in favor of withdrawing from that country, did not see their fighting there as pointless. They are usually just angry about how the withdrawal went, which, to my mind, was criminal on the part of Joe Biden.

Well Said, Sailor!

Would it be possible that drug use had something to do with the rise of suicides?

@eschatologyguy Yes, and that would also flow from the above described cultural changes and generational differences to a significant extent.

Perhaps if many in society don't treat vets as if they're criminals. Especially Vietnam and Afghanistan vets there would be less suicide!

Agreed.

Do you know about how it was for them under Trump?
Those statistics should be available.

Our PM in Canada is making euthanasia 'a good idea' for many here, and
'depression' will be added in 2023.

'How are you?' Better be 'top of the world'.

Years ago I was brainwashed to think draft dodgers were bad for not
serving their country. Naive. I changed that view.

Yeah it's very sad. I suspect that if Uncle Sam only sent its young men to suffer and die in wars that had really strong meaning and purpose for the security and safety of their own country and its citizens, there would be far less disillusionment and suicide among Veterans today...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:377802
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.