slug.com slug.com

7 4

Well, another conservative celebrity has ended up on my garbage list due to an asinine albeit authoritarian comment he made recently. So now Matt Walsh wants our country to be authoritarian like Singapore, and his comment apparently angered many other conservatives out there, and rightly so as what he suggested would be a blatant violation of the Eighth Amendment. I don't like drug dealers either, but conservatives shouldn't favor more authoritarian measures from the Government, that's the direct opposite of limited Government, not to mention the same people (like Walsh) who complain when the progressive leftwingers do similar crap is blatantly hypocritical. Good to know that's how Walsh really thinks, I'm done with him now, and the Daily Wire might be next if they try to defend any of that. I can imagine the field day the progressives on social media are having who despise Walsh...

Matt Walsh goes full authoritarian, suggests the US should be more like Singapore-
[redstate.com]

SpikeTalon 10 Jan 25

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have argued for most of the last decade that the Right establishment was just the other side of the same authoritarian coin held by the Left establishment.

Both want control, both want compliance, both want the power to make people think and do as they command.

Truth be told there.

It's not how strict or authoritarian a government (or a parent) is. It's how fair and equitable the punishment is to fit the infraction. Just look at the Jan 6 victims of a draconian leftist government vs the same government totally ignoring riots, theft and destruction of property and being soft on crimes by real criminals.

I know, and disturbing at that.

Matt is an unique individual with values that align with conservatives but aspirations that align with collectivist leftists. Sad mix in one human being, but that's the flexibility God made in our minds.

I was somewhat shocked initially when I first heard about his comments, but guess these days I really shouldn't be that shocked anymore.

To those who agree with Walsh's authoritarian take on that matter, I'm reminded of the following quote from Mister Franklin, and his words are true today just like they were in his time. Giving the State/Feds even more power over our lives is hardly something that minimal Government conservatives should be fighting for. Leave that crap for the progressive leftwingers, they love exerting power over others and using force. If Walsh is that unhappy with the US, he can go move to his chosen "paradise" then.

Nevertheless,. Crime is almost non existent in Singapore. Japan is not far behind. In fact, None of the top ten safest nations on Earth have authoritarian governments.

What price did such countries pay though for the minimal to no crime? Nothing in life like that comes free, there is a price somewhere. Think I'm content living in a society that affords its citizens more individual liberties even if that means there be more criminals. Afterall, I'm adequately armed, so not too worried if a thug wants to risk breaking in to my flat.

Without looking, I'd bet those countries were all homogeneous societies.

I guess I read it wrong.
"Singapore is able to have nice things in part because they execute drug dealers by hanging and arrest even petty vandals and thieves and beat them with a cane until they bleed."
He was just stating a fact. he never stated we should do the same here.
Then he continues with:
"We don't have nice things because we aren't willing to do what is required to maintain them."
I understood that to mean; keeping it clean and in good condition...another fact.
Instead of our monies going to our infrastucture or homeless here, it goes to Ukraine/other countries...or in the pockets of our crooked government.
Sorry but I didn't interpret this to be authoritarian. Did I miss something?

Yeah... you missed alot there I'm afraid (see images below), and Walsh himself does not deny he indeed advocated for similar laws here in the US, ones in which would grant even more power to governmental authorities and pave the way to physically abuse prisoners and even kill them for something as trivial as drug dealing. Also apparently Walsh thinks that having severe restrictions on speech, virtually zero gun rights, zero privacy protections, and taxes galore to name a few things that are present in the country he was comparing America to. The taxes part aside, the rest of which would certainly be unconstitutional here in the US, and Walsh's take on punishment would surely be in violation of the Eighth Amendment.

In other words, what Walsh had suggested is pretty much the same tactics that the radical left uses against those who they disagree with. And in case you didn't already know this, I don't have much patience for any form of authoritarianism or for those who think it's okay to circumvent our constitutional rights. His remark was asinine and un-American. As for the part of your comment where you said and I quote "He never stated we should do the same here.", I suggest you reread the article I linked to above very carefully... because he clarified afterwards that he absolutely supports similar laws for here in the US. So you couldn't be more wrong about that one. At least the Libertarian Party of Tennessee had the decency to lend their support to the Eighth Amendment in the comments section on Walsh's tweet, someone has to have some common sense when it comes to our rights and the Constitution.

@SpikeTalon I went straight to the actual tweet on twitter and didn't see his following response. I have to admit one thing...a death sentence would certainly deter many from dealing drugs. But then people who do get a death sentence sit on death row for decades and end up dying from natural causes and it still cost the tax payers hundreds of thousands of tax dollars a year to house them. It's a damn if you do and a damn if you don't.

@FEWI I doubt it, as whether it be addictions to drugs or addictions to the money drug dealers make from the drugs at least some of those folks have no regard for their own lives and are willing to take risks. As for the last part, I agree, no ideal scenario there, the taxpayers end up footing the bill.

He's made astute observations, raised valid points and criticisms - doesn't make him a deity. Same goes with everyone on DW.
Both left and right have an authoritarian side, definitely not my thing - but the left march in lock-step to their collective will, and the right have their own version (which is only the flip side to the same authoritarian coin). All extreme ends that don't represent the middle and majority.
Maybe they (DW) and their leftists counterparts are just controlled opposition of the middle?🤷
On the surface I can see the argument - you need to be authoritarian in one way to stop the opposite. That's the argument the Nazis used (particularly in Yugoslavia) - join 'us' to fight the other side which will ban this and that which is important to your values or face annihilation. The Communists did the same in Europe, adding that if you disagree than you are automatically a Nazi.
Same game today. Can't fight collectivism with collectivism.
Follow individuals rather than groups, individual thoughts rather than identities/personalities.

I agree that one can't fight collectivism with another collectivism, which is why I'm going to use my individualist brain and ignore propaganda from authoritarians and those who display an authoritarian mentality like Walsh. Once one goes down the road of authoritarianism whether it be leftwing or rightwing, I rather doubt there's any turning back. Likewise, as such is not your thing, neither is it mine, and never shall it be at that.

Exactly, you said it much better than I.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:395062
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.