slug.com slug.com

2 0

Competition swimming times Salt water pool vs chlorine

Has there been a water density study between salt water pools in competition and standard chlorinated pools???

Measurable lap time distance etc.

Ken71 5 Feb 17

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There has been many tests like this, not so much on swimming but the behaviour of boats in fresh and sea water.

The same laws apply. Since sea water is slightly more dense than fresh water, boats and humans float slightly higher in the sea reducing the amount of water that needs to be displaced.

There were also specific tests where density and viscosity was tested. Some very humorous ones where Olympic swimmers raced in Jello and also sunflower oil.

In any case, with sea and salt water it is more to do with density differences and it is not significantly to my memory.
There was an advantage in sea water, but it was negligible.
Things such as full body swimsuits and shaving body hair had larger effects.

Happy for someone else to give better answers and correct any of the above

I know of no study. Physics predicts that if the surface tension of the two fluids are similar, there is less wetted surface if a person swims in salt water, which means less drag, so faster in salt water. The question I would have is: Is it measurable and statistically significant?

If memory serves me right the main effect was density difference between sea and fresh water however surface tension would also play a role.
Whatever the main effect, it was negligible.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:400271
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.