slug.com slug.com

4 4

Public schools having zero tolerance policies towards anything that has to do with weapons, be it a drawing of a gun or friends talking about going paintball shooting over the weekend or even eating one's pastries into the shape of a gun, is hardly a new thing, but in recent times such policies have really gotten out of hand.

Back in May 1999 at age fourteen in middle school (eighth grade) during art class, I was talking with a friend about the new Star Wars movie that had just come out, and we were making plans to get together over the weekend to go see it at a local movie theater. You don't have to be a Star Wars fan to know those movies were not known for being overly violent or gorey, and that most of the prop weapons looked ridiculously fake. Yet somehow the talk over a PG-rated movie resulted in me getting sent to the principal's office, and the principal informed me that most likely the State Police were going to be getting involved as another student had claimed that I made a threat to bring an Uzi into school the next day and shoot the place up. To say I was shocked over that accusation would have been putting it mildly, and I dared not imagine what my parents were going to think about that.

Long story short... after school my parents were called in to have a talk with the Principal and also the kid that was accusing me of making terroristic threats also was there with his parents, as I had denied said accusation and was asking for proof that I had made such threats, and after talking things out with the Principal it was determined there was no actual threats ever made and thankfully the police did not need to get involved. I wasn't served detention or suspended, but was asked by the Principal to just stay home the next day (which I took to be a suspension), as word had traveled fast around the school and supposedly many kids were upset over the threat rumor, and keep in mind Columbine had occured about a month earlier. The next day when I stayed home, at the start of the school day the Principal made a special announcement putting everyone's mind at rest over the ordeal, and that there was never any credible threat issued.

Although the ending to that story could have been far worse for me (would have been worse if that happened nowadays), you can see how extreme the public schools have become with their zero tolerance policies, and that was nearly 25 years ago and they were already becoming rather PC progressive where any mention of contraband was concerned. It's only gotten worse since I graduated and got out of the public education system. I truly feel sorry for kids stuck in there nowadays, especially kids like the infamous Pop Tart pastry gun incident. Here's the article that prompted me to share that story...

What is it that makes a little boy, practically straight out of the womb, take an interest in weapons and emulate gun-toting, swash-buckling heroes? Even doctors aren’t sure. As one pediatrician told me about my then 16-month-old son who turned every stick into a sword, “We don’t know why. They just do it.”

If you’ve raised a little boy, you know what I’m talking about. And the only thing more predictable than them being fascinated with weapons is them eventually doodling one in class. An alien with a laser gun. An elf with a sword. Rambo with a machine gun.

When they do, they’ll encounter a host of school polices banning images of weapons, ostensibly to prevent school shootings and other violence. Some make exceptions for historical context (such as a Revolutionary War soldier with a bayonet).

Others don’t. Who can forget the infamous Pop-Tart gun of 2016? The 7-year-old was suspended.-
[thefederalist.com]

SpikeTalon 10 Feb 24

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Star Wars fan to know those movies were not known for being overly violent
Not that I disagree with the thrust of your argument I must point out that The Star Wars movies are almost 95% violent scenes from beginning to end.

Not violent in the sense of blood and gore type of violence, which was what I was referring to.

@SpikeTalon I suppose you can split that hair if you prefer. But the Star Wars movies were absolutely violent. Light sabers, severed arms, blowing planets out of existence, deadly fights using giant mechanized things spewing death charges and vaporizing people. Hans Solo was clearly a ne'er do well yet sympathetic gun slinger.
I would point out that the absence of "spewing blood" notwithstanding our culture is desensitized to the wanton death and destruction on display in Star Wars and almost all other SciFi movies.
Do you remember how "controversial" and "upsetting" it was to a lot of people over the violence in the movies "Fargo" and "Sling Blade" was? The fact is that the violence in those movies was NOT graphic - it was strongly implied - left to the imaginations of the viewers. Yet almost everyone who watched those movies commented about the gore of it. Same was true of the movies "Silence of the Lambs" and "Psycho" - Even as a boy I recall feeling uneasy and worried when I saw cowboy shows and such where people were shot dead - no blood no gore...just the violent ending of people. No doubt I was not unique in that way. But, over time there was a gradual erosion of human sensitivities to violence in film. Star Wars is no exception to that phenomena.

@iThink I can agree somewhat on the violence part regarding the later movies put out by Disney, and to an extent the prequel trilogy. The original trilogy was pretty clean in comparison, and keep in mind that at the time the story above occured the first prequel movie was just released.

That aside, movie violence never fazed me much because I'm actively aware of the fact that what I'm watching is not reality, just pure fiction. Does that make me desensitized to violence? Maybe, and at a young age my father often times didn't shield me from similar movies, and some violence depicted in some movies are acts that unfortunately do occur in the real world. Think I'm better off that my father didn't shield me from such, and because of that think I'm better able to handle reality than some others whose parents constantly hovered over and protected them from every single negativity. I'm also far removed from being a violent individual, despite exposure to other violent movies and video games.

The program of eliminating all means of defense from public schools is what makes them such soft targets for the terrorists we call school shooters.

Your statement is correct. It uses logic and is an example of good common sense. It makes no sense not to protect our young. I am at a loss?!??!

It used to be that having a cookie shaped like a phallic symbol got you sent to the principal's office. Now it get rewarded.

The principal sent the kid home to censor him. The principal wanted to speak and deny the kid a chance to speak. It's like the scene from Scent of a Woman. The principal tried to stop Colonel Slade from speaking.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:401888
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.