slug.com slug.com

6 1

LINK Craving A Significant End

Before I am accused of malpractice, let me be clear that I am not, nor have I ever been, a psychologist. That being said, I often wonder how much of our news cycle is driven by the need for people to feel significant in a vast, cold universe. We need only stand near the sea to feel the enormity of existence within which each of us is little more than a speck on the wrinkle of a quark. How does this drive our seeming obsession with the “end of days?”

etinvisibilium 6 Mar 9

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

For most of us our significance is to those with whom we associate and the more regularly the more significant. That is where we should be more careful.

Feels like a Peterson question, It's probably a yes due to our need for social interaction and the importance of maximizing that ability to have those interactions so we feel we are successful in those efforts and the interactions can continue.

As for significance: I would suggest that all things God created are significant.

At least unto itself ...

@Bay0Wulf Significant to the Creator. Why else would He create it?

Our sentient selves are at once terrified and fascinated with our own mortality. We flock to movies that show graphic violence - the bloodier the better and we likewise flock to movies that show graphic sexual content. There it is death and new life - new life and death. Always there - unavoidably right in front of us.
As mortal beings (and what in this universe is NOT merely temporal/spacial) the only way to perpetuate our selves is to reproduce. We are born, we pass along our genes, we die. It's the closest we will ever be to immortality...unless there is a God who will hold us eternally in the "afterlife"
All we can do is hope because we have to die in order to find out and die we will - regardless. LOL

I've often been fascinated with Jesus' statement here in John 11:25,26: I am the resurrection and the life; he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live; And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die..."

@dmatic metaphorical poetry. suggesting the "eternal" afterlife in the presence of the Creator.

@iThink Possibly, but I take it literally.

A piece of an old poem I wrote ...

...just a speck
on a speck
in the cosmos ...
well ...
almost.

I’ve long looked out over the ocean or from a spot in a vast wilderness area at night where there is no light pollution into the sky with an unaided eye and realized and accepted my utter insignificance.
Oddly enough I always seem to immediately relate myself to ants, to microbes, to things even smaller.

If I am insignificant, then what are they?

Once, I tried to explain to a bunch of my peers how atomic structure is almost “planetary” and floated the idea that, though we can’t perceive it, how there might be “life” that looks about and considers itself “significant”. (That went over well and became a long standing joke)

I was once agnostic leaning atheist but over the years I found that there’s too much “pattern”, too much “structure”, so there has to be “something” there. God?

I don’t buy the Judeo-Christian version or even a Pagan version of “God” ... I think that whatever God may exist it is not one concerned with the minutiae... and I am not even important enough to qualify as minutiae...

I think that the “End of Days” and the obsession with it is similar to looking at One’s own mortality.
What happens WHEN? What happens THEN? What happens NEXT?

People, generally, are discomforted by the question and, having no answer, create “scenarios” and call them “answers”.

Oddly enough I believe that Religion ... Faith ... must be deliberately drilled into people starting from their youngest days as it creates a “way of life” ... instills “morality”.
Do this and God will Love You ... Reward You.
Do otherwise and God will Punish You.

It might not be the very best answer but ... Karma is gonna get you ... doesn’t have the same immediacy... the same “Uh-Oh factor”.

I believe human beings, being sentient as we are - that is to say implicitly and intrinsically aware every moment of our own mortality are thereby driven to seek "the answer" to the mystery of our own existence.
We seek connection with the Creator Himself.
We would have a very difficult time trying to get self professed "atheists" to admit to this inherent quality of human existence - but there it is regardless.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:82291
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.