slug.com slug.com

15 6

Who do we trust to tell the truth? Who decides?

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I've come to the conclusion that the truth is inaccessible to me.

It would seem the truth is biased. That doesn't stop me from seeking it. All one can do is look for it and maybe find a thread of truth.

@Spetsnasty

If it seems the truth is biased, the information available to you isn't participating in truth seeking. Instead, we're reduced to viewing attempts to fabricate truth claims.

In the comments below I read words that appear to me to be cases of so-called "moral relativism," and I don't know if that is true or not: are they cases of moral relativism?

The example I am perceiving (from my unique angle of view) is the case where a criminal named Clinton spoke a now infamous message having to do with what "is is."

Either someone willfully murders someone or not, and finding the facts that matter in that case become difficult when someone - as a matter of fact - willfully distorts the facts: commits fraud.

Either someone then murders someone else, where now that one murderer begins a series of murders, a serial murderer, or not.

The bodies could be claimed to have died of natural causes, depending upon what "natural" is?

I think, before one decides to define “truth” one must decide what the question is.
What is “true” about socks is not often “true” about shoes ... even though they”re similar.
I know that’s not exactly what you meant ... but ... it remains applicable.

Clinton (Slick Willie) once responded with an astoundingly astute answer to a question ... which (by consensus) was considered to be hilariously stupid ... “It depends on what YOUR definition of ‘is’ IS ...”

In order to “find truth” for oneself, you must research the question from many angles ... especially those in opposition to what you “want” the truth to be. Then you have to choose from the results what seems right ... “rings true” ... to you.

In Science and Math there are many Laws, Rules and Axioms that are accepted as “True” but, one should notice, they are ALWAYS “accepted as True” predicated on the basis that they have simply NOT BEEN PROVEN FALSE.

TRUE is a Moving Target ... always dependent upon incomplete data.

That is one of the best responses in a comment section I have read. You are very right about finding the truth, great stuff and I completely agree with you. I am so glad to see so many people on here that have the ability to think critically it gives me some hope for humanity

Well said @Bay0Wulf but in some minds, truth as a “moving target”, reads as relativism, which the woke left skillfully uses to sow confusion, doubt, and destruction. Post-modernists have been very successful in consistently pushing the message that truth is relative, reality depends on your personal point of view, and reason is full of contradictions.

While we can never grasp “truth” absolutely, I reject the woke-left argument that truth varies based on individual experience and personal feelings.

Sadly, the progressive notion that an individual “defines” his own truth, has supplanted the Enlightenment concept that reason helps us discover truth and move closer to understanding reality.

@GeeMac
Yes ... well, when I refer to “Truth”, I don’t mean to infer “relativistic truth” unless that’s the sort it might actually be.
Progressives and Post Modernists simply pervert the quest for “Truth” or “True” into a definition that fits their narrative.
I reject their Perversion, Definition and Narrative.
Unfortunately, had I tried to include all those types of aspects ... I’d never have gotten to the end of the post.

Get your news sources from all sides, then perhaps one MAY end up with some semblance of half truths.

No one and no one. The only thing I can rely on is that little bell. The one referred to as the ring of truth. And of course it’s biased by my own experience and views etc.

The problem with this excellent question is that so many people today are taught that they have "my truth", or "my group's truth", as if truth were relative. In that case, who decides also become relative, which is how democracies devolve into tyrannies. There is truth, aka reality, and all else is perception, opinion or willful blindness to fulfill an agenda.

There’s an old saying in journalism, “If your mother says she loves you check it out”. Trust no one.

Especially media sources haha

I think we should find a way to crowdsource it. If anyone's tech-savvy enough, they should play with a social network around that idea.

While not always 100% factual, WION is a much more reliable news source than either CBC or BBC
[wionews.com]

I will have to check out wion and see what it is all about, thanks for the info

The CBC is not much different from the BBC.

Or NBC, etc.

Sounds like the equivalent or the American (US) CNN.

The CBC is one of the sources woke propaganda. As the CBC is primarily woke narrative driven they are framing the what they call the far right as the source of fake news. What about CNN, MSNBC, etc. This China Virus crises is already winding down.

Yeah the CBC is nothing more then the Canadian liberal parties propaganda machine.

"It is a matter well known, and well understood, that by the laws of our country, every question which affects a man's life, reputation, or property, must be tried by twelve of his peers; and that their unanimous verdict is, alone, competent to determine the fact in issue."
Court of Oyer and Terminer, at Philadelphia
February Sessions, 1788

Wot a load of shite. Down in the land of the best in the world, we have just witnessed an about turn of justice. Originally determined by 12 of those magnificent peers that you speak of and delivered by an equally determined pre-selected Judge. I would not put any faith in a system as corrupt as those of this day. If necessary they will locate 50 of your peers to get the judgement they seek.

@Felix

The common law trial by jury system is called the Ancient Law and it has been counterfeited, so the load of shite you speak about is what you speak about: a load of shite. If you then collectivize your viewpoint and use your viewpoint of counterfeit law to see everything else, with that filter you place on your view, then everything you see becomes a load of shite to you. That is fine by me, why would anyone care?

""It was a principle of the Common Law, as it is of the law of nature, and of common sense, that no man can be taxed without his personal consent. The Common Law knew nothing of that system, which now prevails in England, of assuming a man’s own consent to be taxed, because some pretended representative, whom he never authorized to act for him, has taken it upon himself to consent that he may be taxed. That is one of the many frauds on the Common Law, and the English constitution, which have been introduced since Magna Carta. Having finally established itself in England, it has been stupidly and servilely copied and submitted to in the United States."
Lysander Spooner, Essay on the Trial by Jury, 1852

"Currently, the prosecution and defense share equal control over jury selection. Looking to the literal text of the Sixth Amendment, the landmark case on the right to a jury trial, and the Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure for guidance, this Article explains that jury selection procedures undermine the defendant-protection rationale for the Sixth Amendment right to a jury trial. Because the Sixth Amendment grants this right personally to the defendant and the Supreme Court has construed this right as intending to protect the defendant from governmental overreach, the prosecution should not be entitled to select the very jury that is supposed to serve as a check against its power. After concluding that symmetrical power in jury selection undermines the constitutional purpose of the jury trial, this Article proposes two possible remedies."
The Unconstitutionality of Criminal Jury Selection Brittany L. Deitch, 2018

@Josf-Kelley
'The common law trial by jury system is called the Ancient Law and it has been counterfeited,'

What do I care what further you burble on about, you have confirmed in your first sentence, what you know to be fact... that the law has become a load of shite. Did you once chase ambulances for a living ?

@Felix

If you prefer not to discuss things, yet you seize an opportunity to insult someone, then what does that make you? Is there a word for such things?

@Josf-Kelley
with that filter you place on your view, then everything you see becomes a load of shite to you. That is fine by me, why would anyone care?

Your words!

@Felix
I care to keep the record straight.

Example:
"with that filter you place on your view, then everything you see becomes a load of shite to you."

That is a series of words that appear to be a statement of fact. The words are couched as if the message is factual. I prefer to point out - because I care to do so - that the message is not a fact.

So...why does someone seize the opportunity to publish a subjective opinion of someone else, as if that subjective opinion is a factual statement of someone else?

You simply cannot legislate “truth” any more than you can legislate “morality”. And any attempt to do so is just a cover for government to accumulate more power.

The only way to stop misinformation is for people to become more educated, or at least more diligent, by always checking the source of information, and cross checking the content.

Don’t hold your breath waiting for that to happen. The gullibility of the public has made more millionaires then tech, energy or sports and entertainment combined.

I completely agree people buy into what they believe to be news but really it is nothing more then agenda pushing propaganda now. A vast majority of society is eating this crap right up, so sad

If you have to go out of your way and seek it out, then it's the truth. If it's presented to you by main stream media then it's a barrel of rotten fish.

Good question. These days I hardly trust any source, as most of them have an agenda of their own, and agendas have a way of overtaking facts at times.

“All the news that’s fit to print” has become “all the news that fits the narrative”

That is so very true. You have to take it upon yourself to know the truth these days.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:91961
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.