slug.com slug.com

5 4

Will artificial intelligence bring a final end to free speech?

pbuck0145 8 May 7

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Joe Rogan and Elon Musk were talking about this in his latest cast. Elon figures we might as well borg up with our phones and whatever AI might develop just so that humans can go along for the ride. I was a really messed up, mixed feelings sort of conversation.

The really crazy part was, think about if we could think together, a near instantaneous exchange of ideas and reaction, without having to mediate the ideas through language. How would we become to think if we didn't any longer think in words?

It already has in China

AI will be more efficient and this will institute a more conservative culture. Leftism currently in its death thrall will be completely eliminated as it makes zero sense in the material world.

If it is super intelligent we can use it like we do Google now and believe 🙂

Intelligence, free speech and freewill are social constructions. They only have meaning within a social environment. Does the existence of super intelligence redefine what it means to be a human social animal?

Language and language constructions are abstract. Intelligence is abstract and has proven impossible for philosophers and scientist to define with any real agreement. They can't even agree on what consciousness is. How do we know that super intelligence will be conscious? If it isn't conscious is it just a tool? The best I could do is refer to philosophers and scientist to answer the OP something I don't like to do especially when there is so little agreement.

So I'm not going to just repeat what others have said but offer my own poorly informed opinion. The best answer I can come up with personally is that we are largely what are genetics make us. Unless we use super intelligence, which I assume means AI, to alter our genetics and make us more ant like then we will still need free speech and free will. In my mind the two are related in that we are not ants and have to choose our behavior including how we speak. How much choice is possible is related to intelligence but will remain limited. Super intelligence as a tool could expand free will by offering more and more intelligent choices. Free speech will remain useful as a means of testing those choices before implementing them.

For me most things are a matter of degree not kind. By that I mean that kind is predetermined by the nature of the universe. For example intelligence is a property of life. Some life has a higher degree of intelligence but it remains the kind that the universe has predetermined.

Most serious thinkers today believe in what they call emergent properties. I don't find their reasoning particularly compelling. The basic premise is that something is more than the sum of it's parts. For example a brain cell is not intelligent but a brain is. I reject that argument on the grounds that a brain cell is alive and therefor intelligent. A similar argument applies to the human condition. No human would be particularly "intelligent" if raised in isolation. Our intelligence is largely the sum of all transmitted experience we have absorbed from our environment especially our cultural environment plus what genetics have given us. Swarm intelligence is the one thing we have in common with ants and to some degree all social animals. Only our ability to transmit that "intelligence" over time and space is greatly enhanced by sophisticated language tools.

Dr Peterson is again correct that artificial intelligence will learn at first from us. Our record is not great. What are the chances that AI will somehow be more moral than we are? I don't like our odds. So imagine AI far smarter than we, and immoral. If we allow that to happen, I don't think we need to worry about free speech, the next virus, an asteroid or a black hole. We won't be here very long.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:95670
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.