slug.com slug.com

6 8

Think your immune?

808scotty 7 May 15

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I came across this quote today from a very old writer (4th century?). How would we feel about 'religious types' if they acted like this?

Endeavor to know yourself and your own wickedness. Meditate on the greatness of God and your own sinfulness. Meditate on the suffering of Christ, the magnitude of Whose love and suffering surpass our understanding. Ascribe any good you do to God alone. Do not even think about the sin of a brother, but about what in him is better than in yourself.

Did you know that when the ban on public smoking campaigns were all the rage, In NS, if you died from a traffic accident and were a smoker, then you were counted as a smoking related death? Successful methods never change - only the targets.

That is why you have to be critical of everything... and every one here agrees until you start talking about religion and suddenly everyone becomes stupid.

that's not a very nice thing to say. care to elaborate?

@iThink
What I meant to say is that most contributors here are only critical of things they already disagree with. No one here is self-critical. Therefore they repeat the same religious comments just like the reporters... all singing from the same song sheet they have been given... never reviewing what they are saying... it is only when you look from the outside that the you see the that the reporter and religious people act exactly the same.
You can say the same of any group of people who sheepishly follow what they have been taught and never critically evaluate what they believe.
Most contributors here have some ability to evaluate political views and standpoints, however they are completely unable to look at religion the same way... and hence they are no better that the reporters.
It may not be a nice thing to say... but it is very true.

@Hanno that's a valid explanation; my objection was to your use of the word stupid. The fact is that the vast majority (maybe above 90% ? maybe?) of people are loathe to second guess their already adopted points of view or opinions - religion notwithstanding.
Politics, Religion, analyses of human behaviors...what ever the hell makes anything tick most folks will express an opinion and most of those folks have no basis of fact or experience to hold whatever opinions they might spout.
I think it's human pride that makes folks react defensively when confronted with challenges to their own opinions. Nobody wants to or likes to think they might be wrong or misinformed.
One other factor that I think is very critical is that in the medium the interwebs as they call it, on the social media platforms we can only use typing to say what we want to say. It is almost impossible to convey emphasis or de-emphasis; no voice inflection, no observable body language etc. Those are very important and useful tools for communication and yet they are not available to us here. So, it's easy to misspeak, or to misinterpret what is typed.
Add that to the unfortunate fact that some folks (probably more than not) who are not good dealing with challenges to their words and ideas will fly off the handle, jump to conclusions, get mad as hell! LOL Right?
Anyhow thanks for clarifying

@iThink all good. I agree with what you say... and in retrospect I should have said people act stupid and not become stupid.

Those who fail to use their intellect, and instead defer to the natural judgmental nature of humans, are demeaning themselves, and justify their critical nature as if it is intelligence. It is not.

In addition, the Left has discovered that encouraging everyone to act without restraint of those lower impulses, tends to assist them in tearing down society, giving them the excuse they need to be the remaining salvation. Those not smart enough to see through that will imitate what is now called "woke" behavior, and unwittingly assist in the destruction of civil society.

@TimTuolomne yes it seems obvious that emotion trumps logic and fact. At first I impulsively thought this was a relatively new phenomenon but It probably is not new. It takes training and self discipline to learn to restrain emotional impulses and outbursts.
Your comment reminded me of a video from Paul Joseph Watson where he talks about "emotional incontinence. I'll try to find the link and you can watch it if you please: BTW I am a big fan of PJW - too bad he is associated with that idiot Alex Jones: Here's the link:

I want to know if this stuff just happens randomly and goes "viral", or is there a single source these folks tap into? This is nuts!

it definitely is NOT random.

I first saw a compilation like this about ten years back. It really blew my mind. Then I watched some compilations of "news" casts where they kept deleting, or simply ignoring Ron Paul's percentages of votes during the 2008 primaries. They also showed various channels not listing him at all. That was when I made the choice not to ever waste any more votes on the republiccan party because they are just as corrupt as the democrats.

DARN!!!
How DO they get that Parrot to wear So Many Disguises!?!?
Not to mention how Clever that Darn Bird Is to be Able to Change Its Voice to Match.

There’s a reason these folks are called “Talking Heads” ...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:97221
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.