slug.com slug.com
51 8

Does teaching "white guilt" also cultivate a "white pride" backlash?

Glenn Loury, a black author and professor of Economics at Brown University, recently wrote an article entitled "Unspeakable Truths about Racial Inequality in America". In it, he lists ways that "cancel culture" is enforcing a world-view that is often not fully backed up with facts and evidence. He posits further that the vilification of white people and their ancestors could result in an argumentatively justifiable "white pride" backlash. Specifically, he writes:

I wonder if the “white-guilt” and “white-apologia” and “white-privilege” view of the world cannot exist except also to give birth to a “white-pride” backlash, even if the latter is seldom expressed overtly—it being politically incorrect to do so.

Confronted by someone who is constantly bludgeoning me about the evils of colonialism, urging me to tear down the statues of “dead white men,” insisting that I apologize for what my white forebears did to the “peoples of color” in years past, demanding that I settle my historical indebtedness via reparations, and so forth—I well might begin to ask myself, were I one of these “white oppressors,” on exactly what foundations does human civilization in the 21st century stand? I might begin to enumerate the great works of philosophy, mathematics, and science that ushered in the “Age of Enlightenment,” that allowed modern medicine to exist, that gave rise to the core of human knowledge about the origins of the species or of the universe. I might begin to tick-off the great artistic achievements of European culture, the architectural innovations, the paintings, the symphonies, etc. And then, were I in a particularly agitated mood, I might even ask these “people of color,” who think that they can simply bully me into a state of guilt-ridden self-loathing, where is “their” civilization?

Now, everything I just said exemplifies “racist” and “white supremacist” rhetoric. I wish to stipulate that I would never actually say something like that myself. I am not here attempting to justify that position. I am simply noticing that, if I were a white person, it might tempt me, and I cannot help but think that it is tempting a great many white people. We can wag our fingers at them all we want but they are a part of the racism-monger’s package. If one is going to go down this route, one has got to expect this. How can we make “whiteness” into a site of unrelenting moral indictment without also occasioning it to become the basis of pride, of identity and, ultimately, of self-affirmation?

In a way similar to "Black Pride", "Asian Pride" and "Latino Pride" where associated people share camaraderie, a sense of identity, and an admiration for their history, is there a factual or moral argument for people of European ancestry to have "White Pride" (or "Anglo/Euro Pride" )? If not, why not?

White people having/expressing pride in the accomplishments of their ancestors...

• 1 vote
  • 0 votes
  • 1 vote
  • 1 vote
  • 2 votes
  • 1 vote
  • 1 vote
  • 129 votes
  • 40 votes
  • 21 votes
Admin 8 Feb 17
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

51 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Pride gets us in so much trouble. I'm not going to assign a color to it. None of it is good unless it's directed at your kids.

Not necessarily. It depends on what you are proud of. It's a reflection of your values. It is not inherently good or bad.

I am just protecting my heritage, culture, language, free speech and the right to own a firearm. If your not doing this to protect your own, your a racist.
A racist is a person who is concerned about what other cultures do to protect their identify.

Rick-A Level 8 Feb 17, 2021

I voted “something else” so I owe an explanation. Human learning is built on previous learning so when we develop something new we aren’t staring from absolute zero. As a mathematician, I don’t have to prove that numbers exist and that 0 is a thing to write most of my theories or build models. Scientist don’t need to re-invent the world, doctors don’t need to re-discover that germs exist etc. the implication of this is that it our lives improve as our human, collective understanding improves. As ideas and inventions are shared, the standard of living increases and we all benefit and have an opportunity to contribute. Does it then matter that our number system is Arabic or does it matter what we can do with numbers? Does it matter that our understanding of life-like AI progresses or that the “father” of it Alan Turing was gay? I don’t want to take away from an individual’s accomplishments but I think it makes more sense to celebrate the accomplishment more than the skin color of the founder.

RitBorg Level 7 Mar 28, 2021

don't even consider race.

White guilt is a type of vice, the vice is externally installed dejection. Doing this to children is a cruel social abuse, a kind of bullying.

There is nothing wrong with having pride in your heritage no matter what color your skin may be. How one behaves and treats others should be the hallmark of who they are.

No White Guilt.

Far too many choices.
Convoluted issue.

It depends entirely on how it's done. It could be a sensible statement. It could be something defensive (and I'd say it's generally perfectly fine to make statements like "black power" because that's usually a defensive backlash to racism...talking about accomplishments of white people can sometimes have the same motivation).

It'll sometimes be just kind of an attempt to take credit for what one doesn't deserve credit for though, or an attempt to show how other races are inferior. It depends on the context.

Referring to the head line, Yes! Every action cause reaction. The pool is somehow from a different shelf. Personally I think that people shouldn't be proud of something that they didn't achieved by themselves or without they help, but it's not that simple... Let's take the Olimpics for example. How big contribution have a fan waving a national flag to the success of an athlete? I guess as long as it's "sporty" behaviour we shoud cherish peoples achievements regardless of they skin colour. And like in sports rules shoud be the same to everyone!

LukeGP Level 7 Feb 17, 2021

There is arguably a “white culture,” but I’m not even sure I fit. This has everyone assuming the premise is valid: that “white” people are somehow generically different. It is a Leftist agenda, and no one has to play if they don’t want to.

Every ethnicity has a diverse culture within it.
Most cultures stick together, and work for their overall betterment.
Jews help Jews
Germans work best with Germans
Catholics with Catholics
Blacks with blacks
White people are pretty much selfish creatures out for themselves.
Rich people of all races, become that way, because you really need the moral flexibility, that comes with being a sociopath to become rich or a politician

@David42, generalities divide, not bring people to understanding each other. You are free to be divisive.

All generalizations are false.
With that said..
Human beans are capable of great good or great evil. Each of us has a yen and a yang.
When we are in our first 25 years, we are warlike, pack animals, incredibly self centered, totally driven by animal lust.
If we are above average intelligence, we seek some sort of education, beyond the minimal rudiments public education equips us with.
Those of us lucky enough to find a suitable mate, have some chance of becoming a decent, productive person.
If we have children, the good half stands a chance of flourishing because we want to set a good example.
So much depends on what hole we pop out of.
Prove me wrong

For me having and expressing pride is the same for all of us regardless of race. I would suggest having and expressing are dealt with separately.

Having pride in what our ancestors have achieved is easy for most and as long as we have access to that information is almost a foregone conclusion. We tend to seek, protect, nurture and find value in what our close ancestors achieved. I cannot think of anyone I personally know who I believe is ashamed of their ancestry.

My view of many of those who claim to be ashamed of their ancestors are that they are generally looking to promote themselves with other groups, attention seek or highlight perceived personal virtue.

Expressing pride in ancestors achievements is different and most pick and choose their moment. Many will rarely express their views and opt to focus on the present and future rather than the past.
There is a natural tendency to peace and good relations, to calm rather than confront and decent people will often keep their views to themselves. Each will have a trigger point when it comes to defence but most can manage to absorb information they disagree with.

I would suggest most have pride but rarely express it

Jasper Level 5 Mar 12, 2021

Yeah I don’t have any white guilt at all nor does my wife or kids . Don’t now and never will , they need for sell that BS somewhere else !

psowell Level 5 Feb 27, 2021

Have the right to believe anything they choose to.

Their is considerable misunderstanding about the nature of being human. Jared Diamond only told half the story in Guns, Germs and Steel. Humans like all animals are subject to natural selection. Different environments will select different adaptations. The adaptation not only change the course of evolution but change the meaning of and often the environment or ecosystem itself. We our the cultural ape.

There are no good or bad adaptations they just are. The blind clock maker is completely amoral. Morality however is a cultural adaptation that changes the environment. The discussion we need to have is what constitutes a fitness adaptation over what time frame. Which cultures encourage long term fitness.

The current moral paradigm in the West certainly doesn't look like a healthy adaptation. The ethnocentrism of China we know from experience is self defeating. I would not suggest a middle way but a more sophisticated analysis.

wolfhnd Level 8 Feb 17, 2021

A Question : Are you still beating your wife? No matter the answer you turn out to be a wife beating asshole! (innocence is not an option)

Arty Level 7 May 25, 2022

My ancestors are from Poland. I'm so proud of the Polish people these days!

Fundamentally I am not really concerned with people's heritage or the color of their skin. I am only interested in the kind of person they are (whether or not they are working to better themselves and the people around them). However, the moment anyone says you are fundamentally a good/bad person solely based on your genetics, I lose respect for their argument. In my opinion, that kind of categorization in any form kills people's will to attempt some form of good in the world because their worth is no longer held within their own character.

Darre Level 3 Apr 2, 2022

Never crossed my mind and never will again.

The atrocities of history do not singularly belong to any race, Black people in Africa were the ones selling other black people as slaves.

You can be proud of who you are, you're cultural history, and be proud of any friends you may have that are of a different cultural background because it's not a competition.

Nobody wants to be treated like crap, and that is what the globalist elites are doing through their alter egos in academia.

*Something Else
... Are human beings just doing what comes naturally.

Divide and conquer! Still as powerful today as ever was, we condone this by allowing ourselves to be placed in categories and agreeing to be identified as such. Even more strange that we allow ourselves to be divided into two colours that generally do not apply! Look closely at your skin colour against something that is white or black, does your skin colour match either? Mine doesn't and never has. I've allowed myself to be categorised as white and my skin colour appears to be very similar to Kamala Harris and numerous others who claim to be black? If you look at it in it's simplest form it's nonsense, a case of the 'Emperors new clothes'.
Those who decide they will refuse to continue to immerse themselves in skin colour debates and will recognise all as individuals with equal respect should decline to play this divisive game any longer. Those gaining from the 'skin colour blame game' fight to keep division alive to the detriment of all. A small start is to decline to recognise yourself as fitting into either category or state you are a particular colour on forms or when asked, I recently declined when applying for a job and on our national census form and hope many others do the same.

Jasper Level 5 Mar 19, 2021

The course we are on is one of substantially more formalized racial segregation.

Don't they say as goes California so goes the country? Tattoo subculture is heavily driven by prison ink. Now tatts are everywhere. Another cultural export from California prisons might be strict racial segregation, that is how it is done here in super liberal California.

Not that interested in polls.

Write Comment

Recent Visitors 173

Photos 127 More

Posted by Admin Does teaching "white guilt" also cultivate a "white pride" backlash?

Posted by Admin Is it time to take a knee on the Superbowl?

Posted by Admin Why not equality right now?

Posted by Admin How's Biden doing?

Posted by Admin How many good friends do you have from other political tribes?

Posted by Admin What did Trump do, if anything, to incite violence?

Posted by Admin Is free speech dead?

Posted by Admin Under what time and circumstance is the use of violence warranted?

Posted by Admin Now what?

Posted by Admin What do you expect to be achieved by this week's pro-Trump DC rally?

Posted by Admin What did you learn in 2020?

Posted by Admin Should pedophiles be allowed to have "child" sex robots?

Posted by Admin Do you have a "line in the sand" regarding political or social change?

Posted by Admin Should big tech firms hire more Blacks and Hispanics?

• Top tags#video #media #racist #world #biden #truth #government #liberal #racism #democrats #conservatives #society #politics #community #youtube #justice #IDW #hope #friends #videos #Identity #FreeSpeech #Google #book #policy #vote #Police #conservative #evidence #culture #violence #reason #economic #USA #liberals #tech #Socialmedia #money #god #guns #gender #whites #campaign #population #laws #religion #TheTruth #equality #democrat #Christian ...

Members 9,848Top