slug.com slug.com
1 0

I'm coming from the perspective of someone interested in Art, and Roman Catholic religious art, but as non believer, didn't know about term Eschatology, but I learned about it when I traced back the story to be able to explain what Michelangelo was painting.

Just testing my understanding as non believer, Eschatology is the part of theology concerned with death, judgment, and the final destiny of the soul and of humankind.

Apocalypticism is the religious belief that there will be an apocalypse, a term which originally referred to a revelation, but now it usually refers to the belief that the end of the world is imminent, even within one's own lifetime.

When the Jews were ruled by various external empires and had no sovereignty, some Jews begun to doubt God's promise and beloved in Messiah (Hebrew for the Anointed one) or Christ (Greek for the Anointed one) , a person who got revelation from God about the end of the reality as is, and coming of Kingdom of God where there will be the last judgment.

Some even preached about it, and off course the most famous was Jesus. An apocalyptic prophet. Around him followers gathered and it became a "sect" inside Judaism. Off course after his crucification by the Romans, his followers were convinced he resurrected and spread the message of his teachings. They evangelized not only to Jews but to non Jews as well (Gentiles). Jesus was seen as Christ and God, not by the Jews but by his followers and those they converted. They followed Christ and were known as Christians. Eventually it grew into its own religion of Christianity. Eventually it gave birth to Renaissance and Michelangelo and his Last Judgment fresco in The Sistine Chapel. With interests in Art, I traced back the story to be able to explain what Michelangelo was painting. Siners and saints, in the middle Jesus dispensing last judgment, but off course brilliance of the painting is that Jesus is undecided in his gesture, inviting the audience to reflect on their own lives.

After all Jesus was a Jew and Christianity adopts Jewish Bible as Old Testament of the Christian Bible. Except they claim the Jews got the prophesies wrong and that the Messiah / Christ is Jesus. In Christianity Old Testament is supposed to be prophecy about the coming of Christ. New Testament is about his life, deeds and teachings and life of his followers. And last book of the New Testament is last judgment. Final Revelation.

Revelation to John, also called Book of Revelation or Apocalypse of John, abbreviation Revelation, last book of the New Testament.It is the only book of the New Testament classified as apocalyptic literature rather than didactic or historical, indicating thereby its extensive use of visions, symbols, and allegory, especially in connection with future events.

Michelangelo paints two fresco painting in Sistine Chapel. Telling the Christian story as seen by Christians of the time and as presented by his own artistic genius. First Fresco on the celling is first parts of book of genesis from the old testament, combined with various other figures, ancestors of Christ, various male prophets form old Testament, and various female oracles called sybils, from the pagan world. All anouncing coming of second Adam. Jesus Christ. And the second fresco on the wall is "The Last Judgment"

Jesus comes back after crucification at the end of days to dispenses cosmic justice and everyone gets what they deserve in the framework of Christian faith.

Scholars call the practice Jesus and similar preachers were doing as Apocalyptic Eschatology. But that is about as far as I go. Was just curious about the term and its usage in the Judeo-Christian framework.

Krunoslav 9 Oct 5
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Eschatology also talks about prophecy on such mundane things as geopolitics, something tangible/measurable. For example, the current "Abrahamic" peace covenants between Israel and the surrounding nations is setting the stage for Obadiah 1:7-21 and Psalm 83.

Obadiah 1:7
"All the men of thy confederacy have brought thee even to the border: the men that were at peace with thee have deceived thee, and prevailed against thee; they that eat thy bread have laid a wound under thee: there is none understanding in him."

Before these "Abrahamic" covenants, Obadiah 1:7 would be a theory. Now the stage is being set for it. And the bible tells us how it will turn out:

Obadiah 1:17
"But upon mount Zion shall be deliverance, and there shall be holiness; AND THE HOUSE OF JACOB (Israel) SHALL POSSESS THEIR POSSESSIONS."

We will be seeing the entire Arabian peninsula falling into Israeli hands. Damascus (this is from another passage) will be destroyed suddenly, never to be inhabited again (my suspicion is it gets nuked) I'd give it a decade to 14 years. But that's not the end of it. More carnage to follow, and this time Israel gets clobbered after about 3.5 years of deceptive peace by "Magogians" (ancient name of the Scythians, which was later renamed to Turks) and her allies who will be able to muster a 200M-man army (Rev 9:16). It takes the Messiah's intervention to save them from total annihilation. This period called "Jacob's Trouble" is designed to put the fear of God on the Messiah-rejecting Jews (Hosea 5:15). They will call upon Him. He returns. They are reconciled.

By the way, thanks for the civility 😊 Not very often we see atheists like you.

No problem. I saw you create a group with the term I recognized so I wanted to learn more from various perspective. I probably don't have the same interests to go into it as deep as you do, but still....

Recent Visitors 4

Photos 116 More

Posted by eschatologyguy Warning: Rather dark content.

Posted by WeltansichtPsalm 122:6 Tehillim 122:6

Posted by Weltansicht For KosherTorah School Students The Private Teachings of R.

Posted by Weltansicht For KosherTorah School Students The Private Teachings of R.

Posted by eschatologyguy A Likely Scenario (based on many prophetic passages) The Left never sleeps and they never stop plotting utterly sick, perverse evil.

Posted by eschatologyguyA covenant in a generic sense is a peace agreement.

Posted by eschatologyguy The idea or concept of being allowed to escape the coming tribulation was already prophesied back in Job and Psalms and the prophets.

Posted by WeltansichtAhh, to be as children ;-)

Posted by WeltansichtFrom Jerusalem Hashem bless all of us with a wonderful, healthy, sweet, and productive New Year… A year of peace.

Posted by WeltansichtThe rabbi has not done a live FB session in a long long time, so it must be insightfully important. 8 PM EASTERN His page: [facebook.com]

Posted by eschatologyguyI have a high respect for these two guys, but the more they shoehorn Russia in as the endtime bogeyman and claiming it to be "prophetic," the more incredible they sound.

Posted by WeltansichtNot sure if it is prophetical, but there are ways to support Israel, despite the globalists' apartheid boycott divestment and sanctions movement. [levhaolam.com]

Posted by eschatologyguy Most Troy Black's "prophecies" missed the mark. I wouldn't be surprised if that's where he got his revelations from. Careful with "internet prophets."

Posted by eschatologyguy The Philippine Department of Education just opened the door to let the LGBT ideological insanity in. Clueless leaders being clueless. What could possibly go wrong?

Posted by WeltansichtBehold, I will send for many fishers, saith the Lord, and they shall fish them; and after will I send for many hunters, and they shall hunt them from every mountain, and from every hill, and out of ...

Posted by eschatologyguy One world government has its appeal with science buffs who are told by popular physicists like Michio Kaku, Neil DeGrasse Tyson and others that this would be a necessary development to allow a ...

• Top tags#video #god #Israel #Bible #world #ChuckMissler #church #Jesus #Christians #earth #faith #Christian #biden #iran #Rapture #nation #book #truth #hope #evil #government #pastor #reason #military #Islam #media #China #money #children #nuclear #USA #hell #sin #EndTimeProphecy #youtube #ancient #teachers #death #Jerusalem #holy #evidence #democrats #Satan #TheTruth #population #spirit #verses #fear #Canada #MiddleEast ...

Members 139Top

Moderators