slug.com slug.com
2 2

Apparently, there are two kinds of wisdom recognized in the bible: Godly wisdom and worldly wisdom. Solomon asked God for wisdom, and I could not read that he asked for Godly wisdom. Maybe we should take a hint and specify the kind of wisdom that we ask from God in prayer.

eschatologyguy 9 Mar 29
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't think the problem Solomon had was that he failed to specify the right kind of wisdom in his prayer to God. As with most people who ask God for wisdom, he of course wanted the kind of wisdom that God alone can give, which is most definitely not worldly wisdom. The account of his prayer and God's response makes this clear:

At Gibeon the LORD appeared to Solomon in a dream by night; and God said, "Ask! What shall I give you?" 6 And Solomon said: "You have shown great mercy to Your servant David my father, because he walked before You in truth, in righteousness, and in uprightness of heart with You; You have continued this great kindness for him, and You have given him a son to sit on his throne, as it is this day. 7 Now, O LORD my God, You have made Your servant king instead of my father David, but I am a little child; I do not know how to go out or come in. 8 "And Your servant is in the midst of Your people whom You have chosen, a great people, too numerous to be numbered or counted. 9 Therefore give to Your servant an understanding heart to judge Your people, that I may discern between good and evil. For who is able to judge this great people of Yours?" 10 The speech pleased the Lord, that Solomon had asked this thing. 11 Then God said to him: "Because you have asked this thing, and have not asked long life for yourself, nor have asked riches for yourself, nor have asked the life of your enemies, but have asked for yourself understanding to discern justice, 12 behold, I have done according to your words; see, I have given you a wise and understanding heart, so that there has not been anyone like you before you, nor shall any like you arise after you. 13 And I have also given you what you have not asked: both riches and honor, so that there shall not be anyone like you among the kings all your days. 14 So if you walk in My ways, to keep My statutes and My commandments, as your father David walked, then I will lengthen your days." (1 Ki. 3:5-14 NKJ, bold emphasis mine)

So, Solomon's problem was not that he failed to ask for proper, godly wisdom but that, after having been given it, he still had to battle sin and choose to follow what he knew to be wisdom from God rather than worldly wisdom. In this he often failed later in life, when he often clearly chose to follow worldly wisdom instead of what he knew to be godly wisdom. We all may also fall prey to the same sin in our own spiritual battles with sin. May God grant us the grace and power of His Holy Spirit not only to seek His wisdom but, after having been given it, most especially through a deeper and better understanding of His Word, to actually follow it.

I agree. It is a slippery slope when all we can see and observe is this limited reality that we are in is all there is, and the rest is by faith of what we are told in God's word. And to think they had dreams and visions! Maybe because of the trappings of royalty, verse 14 was gradually eroded from his memory. We need God just to live upright lives. Wealth and power can be a snare as well.

@eschatologyguy Amen! Well said, brother!

In the book of Proverbs, written by Solomon, wisdom could be defined as skill in the art of living. But that included reverential fear of God.

Sadly, he later ended up dishonoring God with the "worldly wisdom" decisions that he made, making alliances when it was forbidden, instead of just trusting God to deliver on His promises. When Jesus mentions him, it was in a humbling fashion: "Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed as one of these". Solomon here depicted as being bested by a lilly.

@eschatologyguy These are indeed very encouraging and challenging words from our Lord Jesus:

"Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing? 26 Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? 27 Which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature? 28 So why do you worry about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin; 29 and yet I say to you that even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. 30 Now if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will He not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? (Matt. 6:25-30 NKJ, bold emphasis mine)

The point in mentioning Solomon's extravagant clothing was, of course, to demonstrate that even the best of clothing that men may make, or that we may attain, will never be better than the beauty that God gives even to the flowers of the field. So, rather than worry or trust in our own feeble human efforts, we should trust Him to provide since He is the one who really has the power to give us what we need.

@KeithThroop I and my family have tested these promises ourselves in our Covid lockdown lives. As we turned our desperation to worship, online bible studies and daily family devotions, we felt at ease. Greatly diminished income and paying a relatively expensive monthly rent, God has allowed us to move to a bigger and better-located place rent free! Even when what little money there was clearly would not sustain us for half a month, various blessings started pouring in without our even asking God for them yet! We have an amazing God! Both our two refs (one's a spare) are full, praise God! We are even able to share God's blessings to others.

Now the danger here is creeping entitledness, if there is such a word. I've decided that we will continue to praise God even when the blessings stop.

@eschatologyguy

Howdy again. Praises to our El Shadiai, the All Sufficient One!

@timon_phocas Amen!

@eschatologyguy Amen again!

Recent Visitors 5

Photos 116 More

Posted by eschatologyguy Warning: Rather dark content.

Posted by WeltansichtPsalm 122:6 Tehillim 122:6

Posted by Weltansicht For KosherTorah School Students The Private Teachings of R.

Posted by Weltansicht For KosherTorah School Students The Private Teachings of R.

Posted by eschatologyguy A Likely Scenario (based on many prophetic passages) The Left never sleeps and they never stop plotting utterly sick, perverse evil.

Posted by eschatologyguyA covenant in a generic sense is a peace agreement.

Posted by eschatologyguy The idea or concept of being allowed to escape the coming tribulation was already prophesied back in Job and Psalms and the prophets.

Posted by WeltansichtAhh, to be as children ;-)

Posted by WeltansichtFrom Jerusalem Hashem bless all of us with a wonderful, healthy, sweet, and productive New Year… A year of peace.

Posted by WeltansichtThe rabbi has not done a live FB session in a long long time, so it must be insightfully important. 8 PM EASTERN His page: [facebook.com]

Posted by eschatologyguyI have a high respect for these two guys, but the more they shoehorn Russia in as the endtime bogeyman and claiming it to be "prophetic," the more incredible they sound.

Posted by WeltansichtNot sure if it is prophetical, but there are ways to support Israel, despite the globalists' apartheid boycott divestment and sanctions movement. [levhaolam.com]

Posted by eschatologyguy Most Troy Black's "prophecies" missed the mark. I wouldn't be surprised if that's where he got his revelations from. Careful with "internet prophets."

Posted by eschatologyguy The Philippine Department of Education just opened the door to let the LGBT ideological insanity in. Clueless leaders being clueless. What could possibly go wrong?

Posted by WeltansichtBehold, I will send for many fishers, saith the Lord, and they shall fish them; and after will I send for many hunters, and they shall hunt them from every mountain, and from every hill, and out of ...

Posted by eschatologyguy One world government has its appeal with science buffs who are told by popular physicists like Michio Kaku, Neil DeGrasse Tyson and others that this would be a necessary development to allow a ...

• Top tags#video #god #Israel #Bible #world #ChuckMissler #church #Jesus #Christians #earth #faith #Christian #biden #iran #Rapture #nation #book #truth #hope #evil #government #pastor #reason #military #Islam #media #China #money #children #nuclear #USA #hell #sin #EndTimeProphecy #youtube #ancient #teachers #death #Jerusalem #holy #evidence #democrats #Satan #TheTruth #population #spirit #verses #fear #Canada #MiddleEast ...

Members 139Top

Moderators