slug.com slug.com
7 2

There is a call for a legal ban on conversion therapy. Do you support it?

There is a growing list of countries looking to outlaw conversion therapy, including New Zealand, Canada, Chile, Mexico and Germany (Brazil, Ecuador and Malta already have bans in place). The UK government is also under pressure to ban conversion therapy (Boris Johnson actually promised he would but he hasn't done it yet).

What is conversion therapy?

According to Stonewall, a charity that campaigns for the equality of lesbian, gay, bi and trans people, conversion therapy (otherwise known as “cure” therapy or “reparative” therapy) refers to any form of treatment or psychotherapy which aims to change a person’s sexual orientation or to suppress a person’s gender identity. The practice is based on an assumption that being lesbian, gay, bi or trans is a mental illness that can be “cured”.

Is conversion therapy harmful?

The American Psychiatric Association has clarified that “the potential risks of reparative therapy are great, including depression, anxiety and self-destructive behaviour, since therapist alignment with societal prejudices against homosexuality may reinforce self-hatred already experienced by the patient.”

The Pan American Health Organisation, a regional office of the World Health Organisation, concluded that conversion therapy, “lack[s] medical justification and represent[s] a serious threat to the health and well-being of affected people.”

So, do you support the ban or not?

The only concern I have is that the legal ban will deprive LGBT+ people of the choice to or not to receive convesion therapy.

[independent.co.uk]

Naomi 8 Mar 11
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have a year grand niece who decided, along with 3 or 4 of her friends, decided she/they were trans. I've never seen a more unhappy young girl. I've never seen her smile. My niece, her , said she decided she was trans because she hated her period. Whatever sex or gender you are, want to be, is not going to make you happy. Your issues are deeper than that and are the same as everyone else: you need to love yourself as you are exclusive of any physical attributes. Love is a condition of the mind. However, if an adult of legal wants to undergo whatever transformation, as long as no one insists and imposes their personal choice as something I am legally obligated to acknowledge, that is your right in our ever decreasing free country. What very little research I've done suggests that many of those who do a transition are very likely to be very unhappy. Shuttling young girls and boys off to the trans station to what essentially is body mutilation is abhorrent in every respect and should be banned until they reach the of majority. I've seen a couple of interviews with Abigail Shrier (“Irreversible Damage: The Transgender Craze Seducing Our Daughters” - book originally banned by Target and Amazon and I believe is still banned) and agree with her thesis. If you're an adult, it's your decision but minors do not have the mental acuity to decide such a life altering and potentially very damaging, both physically and emotionally, surgery. As Jordan Peterson has suggested, neither straight men nor women in adulthood hardly know who they are and what roles to play other than those that evolved over thousands of years. There is no historical precedent for attempting to change your sex so there is no template on which to conduct your life. It can't be reversed if later in life you conclude you've made a horrible mistake.Now, before anyone starts tossing about epithets that I'm transphobic, honestly I don't give 2 s--ts what anyone does with their life. I judge people, in the eternal words of wisdom by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., by the content of their character not their external physical attributes.

SAScott Level 4 Mar 24, 2021

Their inner battles continue. Thank you for your input.

I point the finger at the people pressuring kids to convert.
As a teacher, I feel that indoctrinating kids in any way is evil.

Hm as far as I can tell, conversion therapy is not exactly desirable. To the parents maybe, but I don't think many LGBT people would want this anyway.

Speaking as a libertarian, I don't much care for the word "ban," because there are very few things in this world that I truly believe need to be strictly verboten for mentally-capable adults.

I think if an adult chooses to undergo the therapy, that's up to them, no different from an adult who chooses to fully transition. Each is making a choice they hope will increase their potential for happiness.

Hello. Yes, I also believe that one should be responsible for the action they take and live with the consequence of it.

I’m all for the ban and saying it’s a Choice it’s not and say that the LGBTQ + people would choice to go through that is so wrong

Hello there. Say, someone hates being gay, because they are Christian and they firmly believe that it is a sin to be gay, and they want to seek help including conversion therapy. If there is no therapy available because it is illegal, what do you think they are supposed to do?

@Naomi if someone hates being gay is because of Christian saying it’s a sin and other religions do the same

@Terry1997 I was having a similar conversation in another group. Here is what I said there:
We are both OK with someone being gay and Christian, but we also know that it's not OK for many Christians to be gay because they themselves believe that it is a sin. And yes, we may believe that they're brainwashed but I don't think we should judge them because religious beliefs are so very personal. I think that if someone hates themselves for being who they are or what they are, they should seek a way to turn that self-hate to self-love. And whatever help they decide to receive, that has to be their own choice without being forced, plus they must be responsible for their choice and the consequence. I have reservations about a complete ban on conversion therapy, but I was surprised to learn that it is sometimes delivered by unlicensed, non-qualified individuals and groups, which I strongly oppose. Considering that there are non-aggressive methods and that some people may want to try them, by their own choice, I think regulating the type of therapy, required qualifications, etc. would be a better idea than a complete ban.

@Naomi yes I get what your saying with self love and getting therapy but I don’t believe that conversion therapy is a healthy and positive way of getting to love yourself coz your trying make your self something your not coz if your gay your gay they is not wishing wanting or praying that way how about this instead of trying to change people show them teachers to lover them self and that god loves everyone because your gay or straight

@Naomi Conversion therapy doesn't work. Nothing works. It doesn't change. I myself am gay. It doesn't go away. Ever.

There's no reason to hate yourself for anything. There's ways to solve that without going to some kind of extreme, I feel.

@coloredpencils Well, I guess different people have different ways to make their situations better. I have a friend who suffers from severe depression. He almost succeeded in killing himself not so long time ago. Anyway, he found a counsellor right for him, and he says that talking to his counsellor helps deal with his negative emotions. Thank goodness for that. 🙂

@Naomi I’m sorry to hear about your friend and that good that he got help and therapy (counsellor) is one of the best thing to go to I’ve seen one too

@Terry1997 I realise that having good friends and family around is sometimes not good enough; sometimes there needs to be someone who has trained skills (e.g., saying all the right things) to assist people in coping with their emotions, etc. Meanwhile, forcing anyone to become what they don't wish to become is completely wrong.

@Naomi your 100% right

I think if the therapy is freely choose and engaged by the individual, then whatever the goal of therapy is, is considered desirable by the individual. So, for that reason, I don't want it 'eliminated' - consider Milo as an example.

However, IMPOSED, by whomever, on a child, teen or adult whem they oppose it, I consider it to be no different than torture and agree it should be banned.

No one in the right mind would choose that

@Terry1997 ALL human behavior is based in free will - what constitutes 'in their right mind'?

I'm not by many.

@tracycoyle in their right minds meaning what to go through it

Circumcision, FGM, Gender Re-assignment and Conversion Therapy need to be prohibited except when requested by AND performed on a well-informed, consenting adult.

Not just FGM MGM as well but gender re-assignment should not be prohibited

@Terry1997 Needs to be prohibited except when requested by AND performed on a well-informed, consenting adult.

@pbuck0145 you have to be over 18 years of age for gender re-assignment and I think that they will be therapy and that

@Terry1997 That is not the case in British Columbia, Canada.

@pbuck0145 what do you mean that not the case?

@Terry1997 The leftist elites are encouraging and supporting gender transition in children.

@pbuck0145 where did you get this information from?

@Terry1997
[globalnews.ca]
[bcchildrens.ca]

This is my final response to your questions.

@pbuck0145 thanks

Write Comment

Recent Visitors 22

Photos 45 More

Posted by fthemediaI noticed with people who want to be the opposite sex as a trend or way of escape are mostly young girls aged 13-16, gay women with internalized homophobia, gay men with internalized homophobia, ...

Posted by fthemediaIs is horrible and sad that we live in a day and age where mental disorders are trendy and being a majority is demonized by the far left.

Posted by fthemediaThis 100% many don't and just want to share there story

Posted by fthemediaIt's like we are living in a irl cringe comp.

Posted by fthemediaWelcome to incel central. Free ignorance!

Posted by TheHerrDarkThat sounds about right

Posted by Caseyxsharp2I don't know what happened to the comments that I was making before on my other post.

Posted by Caseyxsharp2I don't know what happened to the comments that I was making before on my other post.

Posted by NaomiShould there be legal restrictions on trans athletes competing in schools?

Posted by Naomi"Super Bi", “Super Gay”, “Super Lesbian”... So, is there anything wrong with "Super Straight"? Are you offended by the term?

Posted by ariellescarcellaHow do we feel about this? "Men and the rest" Why do men get the "safe space" toilet when they are not the ones who generally at risk?

Posted by AtitayaWoah. This is beyond madness. 😂😂 “There’s a lot to unpack here.”

Posted by TheHerrDarkSince you are an expert, Doesn't this ad look like a woman taking her top off? Did the Oculus design and marketing team really go there?

Posted by TheHerrDarkRemember when the leftist said Trump would shake Hitler's hand?

Posted by ariellescarcellaMen in dresses. Good, bad? Who cares?

• Top tags#video #world #sex #reason #gender #community #lesbian #media #videos #hope #gay #society #youtube #friends #kids #rights #culture #Identity #LGBT #children #god #money #government #hell #conservative #truth #politics #Police #liberal #transgender #sexuality #Canada #biden #democrats #TheTruth #book #vote #progressive #Orientation #racist #Socialmedia #created #birth #feminism #fear #evil #mother #guns #lgbtq #death ...

Members 2,802Top