slug.com slug.com
5 4

Dear Straight Women, Stop Calling Your Friends Your Girlfriends

This article is private so I couldn’t read the whole thing but Im bi but I don’t really see a problem with straight women calling their friends girlfriends? I feel like there’s more and more things were telling people they’re not allowed to say and it’s pushing away people that would otherwise have real conversations with us. Thoughts?

Treesareawesom 4 May 20
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

As a Latino lesbian, while learning English this was a confusing term for me. I would hear them say girlfriend, them I asked if they were gay, they said no. Jajajajajajajaja.

Very confusing

The troubles with policing language are as follows.

1. Who gets to decided what is allowed and whats not.
  2. Once you open the door to dictating what can and cannot be said were do you stop.
  3. how do you reconcile calling your self progressive while peeling back hundreds of thousands of yours of evolution that led to what we have to day, concise and precise speech?

In order to have some sort of regulation on what can and cannot be said you have to have someone to make that determination, but as we just happen to be a species of over seven billion unique individuals how do you form a consensus that pleases all?
For most normal people we have a built in ability that allows us to know what is and what is not acceptable to say, for instance we know belittling someone due to color, sex or sexual orientation is not good, most countries even have basic laws covering this and that I think at least most us of can agree is ok, but once you start to open that up to other topics the slope can get a bit slippery.
We are already at a point were you can't talk about Islam as it may offend Muslims, we can't talk about the possibility of a false rape allegation being made as that will upset feminists and the me too movement so what happens when Christians start to demand legislation about atheists denying Christ or red heads complain about the stigma attached to them?
You cannot grant one group Censorship and not allow it for another as that would then its self be labeled as discrimination so you would have to grant it to all, and when you factor in that no matter what you say someone some were is going to be offended by it, were does it lead?
The only way to stop speech being offensive is to ban all speech then we just end up a race of mutes, let me know how well you think that will go.
The plain truth of the fact is as I say, no matter what you say it will always offend someone, so the only real answer is to grow and deal with and leave people to decided for them selves if its appropriate to say something.

"how do you reconcile calling your self progressive while peeling back hundreds of thousands of yours of evolution that led to what we have to day, concise and precise speech?"

At an academic level and in the media they should be pushing for clarity. Its not an issue of free speach but laziness that has allowed political langauge to hold court. "Partner" (Do you play golf together?) ("Chair" your an item of furniture?) And my favouriote, conflating gender with sex. Being erudite should be seen as a virtue.

It makes things confusing, but I hate the idea of language policing.

i couldnt care less about straight women calling friends girlfriends lol i agree with you. policing language that doesn't affect us is stupid

The way I see it, if someone else's words "delegitamizes" something for a person, they probably had their own problem with it. It is what it is and there are plenty of times where there is overlap. You can love a friend or family member without it being romantic and still use the word love, so why should this be any different.

Also, I agree that policing words like this pushes people away. And it's irritating in general.

Write Comment

Recent Visitors 42

Photos 45 More

Posted by fthemediaI noticed with people who want to be the opposite sex as a trend or way of escape are mostly young girls aged 13-16, gay women with internalized homophobia, gay men with internalized homophobia, ...

Posted by fthemediaIs is horrible and sad that we live in a day and age where mental disorders are trendy and being a majority is demonized by the far left.

Posted by fthemediaThis 100% many don't and just want to share there story

Posted by fthemediaIt's like we are living in a irl cringe comp.

Posted by fthemediaWelcome to incel central. Free ignorance!

Posted by TheHerrDarkThat sounds about right

Posted by Caseyxsharp2I don't know what happened to the comments that I was making before on my other post.

Posted by Caseyxsharp2I don't know what happened to the comments that I was making before on my other post.

Posted by NaomiShould there be legal restrictions on trans athletes competing in schools?

Posted by Naomi"Super Bi", “Super Gay”, “Super Lesbian”... So, is there anything wrong with "Super Straight"? Are you offended by the term?

Posted by ariellescarcellaHow do we feel about this? "Men and the rest" Why do men get the "safe space" toilet when they are not the ones who generally at risk?

Posted by AtitayaWoah. This is beyond madness. 😂😂 “There’s a lot to unpack here.”

Posted by TheHerrDarkSince you are an expert, Doesn't this ad look like a woman taking her top off? Did the Oculus design and marketing team really go there?

Posted by TheHerrDarkRemember when the leftist said Trump would shake Hitler's hand?

Posted by ariellescarcellaMen in dresses. Good, bad? Who cares?

• Top tags#video #world #sex #reason #gender #community #lesbian #media #videos #hope #gay #society #youtube #friends #kids #rights #culture #Identity #LGBT #children #god #money #government #hell #conservative #truth #politics #Police #liberal #transgender #sexuality #Canada #biden #democrats #TheTruth #book #vote #progressive #Orientation #racist #Socialmedia #created #birth #feminism #fear #evil #mother #guns #lgbtq #death ...

Members 2,803Top