slug.com slug.com
1 0

Gives some pause for thought-
[jamesbishopblog.com]

SpikeTalon 10 Apr 5
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

3 major-scientific-discoveries-in-the-past-century-that-point-to-god.

[thefederalist.com]

Rick-A Level 8 Apr 5, 2021

On the first point, the only problem with a physical universe having some sort of beginning and thus some sort of intelligent designer, where exactly did said intelligent designer come from and from what basis of comparison would said creator have to go by in designing the universe if nothing else existed in which to compare to? Do note that by saying this intelligent designer does not nor ever had a beginning would not answer the question. The author's evidence to back that claim were more or less the personal opinions of others, which wouldn't exactly qualify as evidence.

On the second point, we have more personal opinions on the matter and not enough evidence to back up such claims. A finely tuned world we live that could not possibly have occured by random chance he said? I (and many others) could make a case that there are far too many random circumstances for there to possibly be any sort of intelligent designer, and can actually offer up genuine examples of such. For instance, Type 1 Diabetes, an ailment I am unfortunately afflicted with. For those who don't know, Type 1 Diabetes is an autoimmune response when for reasons largely unknown (genetics are suspected in playing a role) the body's immune system attacks and destroys the insulin-producing cells in the pancreas giving the individual diabetes. Such is considered to be an abnormal occurence, and certainly something as dysfunctional as that would not exactly support there being an intelligent designer of the sorts. Note my restraint on the animal kingdom and how many types of lifeforms consume other lifeforms in order to survive, which is hardly an indicator of life on this planet having an intelligent designer.

On the third point, that digital code at the foundation of life is possible today through an evolutionary process which took millions and millions of years to "perfect", for lack of a better word as nothing is perfect in this world. Such a theory also presents another problem, for if there really was an intelligent designer who created everything in the universe, then that creator must have a creator that is infinitely more intelligent still. If not, again I ask what basis for comparison is there? What about the many inconsistencies such as Type 1 Diabetes, male animals having nipples, birds with wings that for some curious reason cannot fly etc, that would surely challenge the notion of intelligent digital code?

The author's three points were nothing more than personal opinions. What I linked to above were not mere opinions, all of that was mentioned in the Bible and warrants serious consideration, as none of that makes any rational sense to any clearly thinking individual.

@SpikeTalon Just to add a few more comments for the benefit of a good discussion.

At some point the buck stops,
but maybe it doesn’t.
It’s all conjecture just as your own opinion is little more than an unqualified opinion.
Quote:”Do note that by saying this intelligent designer does not nor ever had a beginning would not answer the question.”
It might!
On the contrary, “how many types of lifeforms consume other lifeforms in order to survive, which is hardly an indicator that life on this planet was an intelligent designer.”
Could well be the perfect management tool used by a higher authority. Makes perfect sense if you can handle the emotional upset that life is based on consumption at all levels.

If there is no compassion then there is no God.
You state, “then that creator must have a creator that is infinitely more intelligent still. If not, again I ask what basis for comparison is there?”
Well a Big Bang must also originate somewhere? Surely nothing has origin or the equation defies all science! That’s way beyond and far more silly than a explanation of an elusive creator? Both concepts are difficult to reason, but one is more void of science than the other. I in my book starting with a big from a genesis of nothing is like yeah right!!!
No opinion is definite until proven. If I design a zipper, was the concept already there,and I just materialized it? If two or more people think of the same thing does that confirm design concept or is it just random luck. All things here today may claim their origin in the evolutionary process. I creation in progress is what? An accident?
Even a horrible disease (I luckily only have pre Type 2) could be part of the unfolding design. We know one thing the answer my friend is blowing in the wind.
I take more comfort in a possible future but it is a long shot!

@Rick-A Fair point on conjecture, but I have yet to witness any strong uncorruptable evidence to indicate there is life after death or support the existence of any deity(s). Maybe that could have answered the question to your satisfaction, but not me, different outcomes for different people...

On lifeforms consuming other lifeforms, if there really be an intelligent designer don't you think it could have done a bit better than that, especially knowing how unpleasant and painful it must be to get killed and eaten by another creature? If there could have been potential issues that god could have anticipated happening, why not simply create a better system? You would think a truly benevolent and compassionate creator being would take joy in his creations instead of pit them against each other in order to survive.

I get your point on the big bang theory, but just because humans cannot fully explain the origins of the universe that doesn't automatically mean a god-like being was responsible, and there is absolutely nothing scientific about simply concluding this god being created everything just because we don't have an immediate answer to how the universe came to be.

That's certainly fine if you take comfort in believing in some sort of afterlife or deity, I've no qualms with anyone who does. I've long suspected a good portion of society doesn't know what theories like evolution and the big bang actually propose, which is why there is often hostility towards such. When I was in school, evolution and the big bang sure weren't brought up much. With that said, I don't believe evolution has all the answers mankind is looking for, but does appear to be the most consistent theory on the origin of life on Earth, based on what I've seen anyways.

@SpikeTalon We aren’t going solve the problem, so we can walk away from this knowing that others face the same dilemma. If I find the answer, I let you know, if you do the same.
Maybe the answer is 42 and we just have just have to shuffle the pieces.
[independent.co.uk]

@Rick-A Time will tell on that (42) I suppose.

Going back to the original point of this post, the idea was to point out an obvious issue with the creation story in the book of Genesis, and not necessarily a debate on whether a deity or the paranormal exists, and somehow we got off track there. With that said, I should be used to such by now after years of asking such questions or pointing out contradictions, as people tend to change the subject if the subject makes them uncomfortable in some way. The Independent read on the number 42 was interesting.

Recent Visitors 5

Photos 20 More

Posted by SpikeTalonMencken had the right idea.

Posted by SpikeTalonThought the members in this group might find this one humorous.

Posted by SpikeTalonApplies to politics as well.

Posted by SpikeTalonThat really grinds my gears, lol.

Posted by SpikeTalonThere really was a 'War on Christmas'... and it came from Christian fundamentalists, and not liberals- [alternet.org]

Posted by Godless[youtu.be] Darth Dawkins debate with @TJump Tom Jump in the Politics server on Discord Godless Girl Linktree: [linktr.ee] Godless Discord Server: [discord.gg]

Posted by SpikeTalonChurch & State. They deserve each other.

Posted by SpikeTalonThis raised a valid point, and your actions speak louder than words.

Posted by SpikeTalonNature timespiral: The evolution of Earth from the Big Bang- [visualcapitalist.com]

Posted by JPBradtHello Atheists for Liberty, Thank you for letting me be a part of this community, I look forward to interesting times.

Posted by SpikeTalonIn absence of this group's original host, looks like I got transferred to host role.

Posted by SpikeTalonGood one from Orwell.

Posted by SpikeTalonEspecially true these days.

Posted by KrunoslavWith all do respect, "Atheists for liberty" is an oxymoron.

Posted by SpikeTalonAttention all you non-believers, Darth Vader finds your lack of faith disturbing. May the Fourth be with you!

Posted by TonyOdargUK Supreme Court Rules Uber Drivers are Employees Entitled to Basic Workers Protections – Tony Odarg – The White Gentleman

• Top tags#video #god #Atheist #government #freedom #world #Christian #religion #rights #politics #community #liberty #book #liberal #Libertarian #liberals #RichardDawkins #godless #Flu #church #censorship #Republican #conservatives #Catholic #evil #religious #hello #Coins #truth #culture #created #children #sleep #Glock #crimes #biology #evolutionary #Christmas #military #retirement #Bible #agnostic #Millennials #progressive #soul #CriticalThinking #kids #teach #Trudeau #scientific ...

Members 70Top