slug.com slug.com
47 4

Is it fair that actresses are younger and have shorter careers than actors?

It's long been the case that leading men are paired up with younger women. This chart shows the age distributions of both sexes in recent years. Is this fair? [Fine... actresses are now called female actors or just actors and you'll just have to guess]

Source: [curiousgnu.com]

Is this due to...

• 6 votes
  • 151 votes
  • 31 votes
Charter 6 Jan 23
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

47 comments (26 - 47)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

To ask Hollywood why it does what it does would just be the start of a long journey down the rabbit hole.

Blame Hollywood.

My grandparents were 5 years apart and 7 years apart. One grandfather older, the other younger.

If you count one grandfathers later marraige of 20 years senior...

I would look at this graph and see a natural age range for coupling in life...

Art reflects life.

It 8s nice to fantasize everyone marrying highschool sweethearts, but that is not the truth of the spectrum of life.

Another good chart to make is at what age does a Hollywood actor vs actress get a star awarded to them on the Hollywood walk of fame.

For women actress it is almost always when they are very young.
For men it is when they are senior citizens.

it would be an even more divergent chart.

Men have to become, women just are.

"Fair" has nothing to do with human life or existence beyond what you, yourself can influence.

The pay of a sports team should be in proportion to the number of fans that bought tickets to the game.

Gender is a red herring. It's not a gender issue. It's a capitalism issue. Produce a good product that people will pay for.

Leftists turn capitalist issues into gender issues if it's in their favor, and they don't if it isn't. It's easy to find examples of their hypocrisy and sting them.

How about the Death Gap? Almost all workplace deaths are male. Does not the threat of death merit extra pay?

One could say that Republicans are underrepresented in Hollywood and that they should get more roles. Hollywood is politically undiverse and uninclusive.

Hollywood declared hate for Republicans, which is dumb because that's half of America's customers. Hollywood feels that the universe owes them gigs. No. You gotta shill well if you want gigs. They lost touch with the fact that they are in the entertainment industry. Hollywood no longer produces material that is entertaining.

The American women's national soccer team declared hate for Republicans, which is half of America's customers. And they whine for more pay. They lost touch with the fact that they are in the sports industry. Sports fans buy tickets to games to watch sports, not politics.

Trump is entertaining and he gets bigly ratings. CNN should thank Trump for every ratings point they get.

Sean Connery: When 90 years old you are, look as good you will not.

Yoda: When 900 years old you are, look as good you will not.

Yoda never lost touch with the fact that he's in the sithbusting industry. Sithbusting is his specialty. 900 years old and he's still doing his job. Does he not deserve to be paid?

I would add that the price of the tickets sold should be factored in as well.

@DaveO276

The women's national team should be promoting the American professional league, which they don't do.

It's interesting that the data on the chart also show that females have a higher numbers earlier until their early thirties; yet no one is asking if the men being under-represented during those earlier years is "fair".

John_G Level 6 Mar 15, 2021

First: scrips often aren't flattering to females... gals have babies, have to be a certain 'age' for the movies... OK... yeah sexism maybe a little... but men typically age better and can get by with more stuff where women are watched carefully... and since we women always know best... probably much harder to work with females.. especially those that had a few big hit shows and now really know it all??? LOL...

jakzy Level 5 Feb 11, 2021

All generalizations are false;
However;
Men age better than women.

A couple of immediate thoughts in no particular order:

• No one overpays for a pretty face; you have to have some genuine talent for someone to pay above SAG rates. Jedi Dench, Maggie Smith, Sigourney Weaver, Glenn Close, and Betty White come immediately to mind. They don't seem to have trouble finding work.

• What kind of movies are being made? Much as I may admire Judi Dench, it's difficult to see her cast as opposite Keanu Reeves, Bruce Willis, Denzel Washington, et al. in a blockbuster special effects action film. I mean, would I pay to see Dench in a remake of Rutger Hauer's "Hobo with a Shotgun?" HELLS YES. But then, I'm weird like that; most people wouldn't.

• I don't think we've ever lived in a time where people above the age of 50 (much less above the age of 40) are so completely reviled by the younger generations. If you're trying to attract the lucrative 18-35 demographic, are you really going to make a movie centered around older people?

It's market demand.

What's market demand due to though?

What do we call it when different sexes are treated very differently? If only there was a word for that lol

Tell you what: you go work on making men worldwide instinctively not attracted to pretty, young (read: fertile) women, and I'll go work on making divorce and family courts fair to men.

I'm willing to be real money you'll accomplish your goal first.

It's fair. Many actresses get to their position by hypersexualising themselves and not by being skilled actors are more skilled at their craft.

I don't give two hoots about Hollyweird and their far-left, puppet, pedophile actors. I don't give them a penny of my hard-earned money or a split second of my precious time.

Three things that don't age well; beer, milk and women. Men dream of beautiful young actresses. I want to see my 50 year old hero team up with a sweet young babe. Why not be honest.

Two things that don't age well, beer and women.

two things that don't age well, beer and women.

Women might live longer than men on average, but sexually they age a LOT faster than men.

[britishfertilitysociety.org.uk]

Change in personal life goals shift toward family orientated goals

cktoper Level 3 Feb 24, 2021

It may sound cynical, but this graph is remarkably similar to the graph of sex fertility by age. Some reasons are much more obvious than we think

Unnamed Level 6 Feb 16, 2021

Men age like wine. Women age like milk.

Adexar Level 3 Feb 8, 2021

Market demand is based on what the viewing public wants to see portrayed on screen. It is known that some leading male actors who play heterosexual lothario characters are gay. We are told that "we" ( the modern viewing public)are all tolerant of sexuality and that it doesn't affect acting roles, and we see Hollywood and the film making profession as exceedingly " woke " and politically correct, yet , at the same time, no openly gay male actor is ever cast as the romantic interest as leading male actor in any major release. Well, that is because we want BELIEVABLE onscreen situations we can relate to. The same goes for female actors, we must feel that they are believable and, in some cases, that limits their suitability as leading ladies due to the effects of ageing on their faces and bodies. It's not rocket science🤨

Rock Hudson?

You'd need a lot more information before pretending any concrete answers to the disparity in age. One of the reasons being that many women eventually stop their careers to focus on raising a family, and then rely mostly on the income of a partner. Most men don't have that inclination to drop everything when they have children. Instead they are more easily allowed to persist in a chosen career (in this case, acting) even to a ripe old age.

This of course is not the ideal for everybody but I believe it's safe to say a majority of women end up sacrificing an acting career in favor of other things they deem more important.

Write Comment

Recent Visitors 192

Photos 19 More

Posted by Charter Does a country's wealth come from its energy use?

Posted by Charter Why does the worldwide IQ distribution appear to match racial IQ differences seen in multi-racial countries?

Posted by Charter Why do children raised in same-sex households appear to have worse life outcomes?

Posted by Charter Is it fair that actresses are younger and have shorter careers than actors?

Posted by Charter Why are asylum seekers in EU overwhelmingly (military-aged) men? If asylum seekers were fleeing for persecution reasons, does it make sense that most are young men? Source: [ec.europa.eu]

Posted by Charter Why do young women consider unwanted comments about their appearance as sexual harassment compared to older women?

Posted by Charter Are women aware of the risks of postponing having children?

Posted by Charter Is this proof that income inequality doesn't appear to be cause of white-black SAT/IQ gap?

Posted by Charter Is a multi-cultural society a good thing?

Posted by Charter Why hasn't anti-Muslim sentiment gone down after the spike due to 9/11? Source: FBI Crime Statistics [fbi.gov]

Posted by Charter Why does the average IQ of a country appears to decrease as religiosity increases?

Posted by Charter Northern states tend to have more "social capital". How's yours?

Posted by Charter Most federal revenue comes from income and payroll tax. Is that optimal? Soure: [pgpf.org]

Posted by Charter On a percentage basis, it is much more likely to be killed by a Muslim "terrorist" in the US than a Right-Wing "extremist". Does it feel that way?

Posted by Charter Why do Blacks have a much higher risk of being murdered by other Blacks than they do from Whites? Post suggested by @AdrianRainbow

Posted by Charter What can be implied from the fact that African-American homicide rate mirrors African nations while European-American homicide rate is comparable to European nations? Post suggested by @ZuzecaSape

• Top tags#video #children #USA #population #world #vote #desperate #culture #immigrants #muslims #god #ElonMusk #youtube #death #wealth #racism #Canada #gender #truth #Harassment #TheTruth #college #marriage #IncomeInequality #inequality #Asian #policy #immigration #crimes #crime #philosophy #religiosity #intelligence #bowling #Mexico #Socialcapital #government #taxes #terrorists #RightWing #friends #mother #wife #justice #Christian #faith #kids #fear #whites #JordanPeterson ...

Members 48,193Top