slug.com slug.com
2 0

What is fair and just in this case?

Trump commanded General Motors to create ventilators for the pandemic. I hold that the federal government should generously compensate GM for this order. I define “generous compensation” as a monetary sum so high that GM would be fools not to make the ventilators if they were offered a contract to make ventilators voluntarily. For example, the federal government could pay double or even triple the price of the ventilators, and on top of that, pay GM for all the money that they would’ve made by making and selling cars that they’re unable to make due to the government’s order.

My lawyer dad thinks that it’s fair for the federal government to pay GM the regular price for ventilators because GM is obligated to help out if called upon by the government during a national emergency. I am defining “regular price” as the price that GM would charge if they were making and selling ventilators voluntarily.

How much should the government pay GM for the ventilators?

• 4 votes
  • 1 vote
  • 0 votes
tenslein 6 Oct 7
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Your dad is being generous. We shouldn't pay GM a penny more than what they cost to make. Let's remember the government is the only reason GM still exists. The taxpayers suffered a net loss of 11.2 billion dollars as a result of the bailout. I think GM owes us one.

I wasn’t aware of the bailout. I suppose that would justify the government bossing around GM since, in a way, the government owns GM after giving them 11.2 billion.

Well suppose that bailout never happened. What would be a fair price for ventilators?

@tenslein Actually, the government did more or less own GM for a while, as it had a 61% stake in the company after the bailout. The govt eventually sold their shares in the company. To answer your question, though, if we were hypothetically starting with a clean slate, I think it's reasonable for a company to realize a profit on what they do. How much of a profit is negotiable, as always.

I want to extend my analogy of imminent domain. If the government wants to take someone's house for some bit of infrastructure that is in the public interest but that person is on social security should their payment not include the additional punitive compensation that someone not on social security would receive?

We tend to view the world through our instinct for fairness but the law as a practical matter is blind for the most part to extraneous circumstances.

@wolfhnd We're teetering on the edge of what's fair and what's possible, aren't we?. Imminent domain can be harsh. I don't know how the Defense Production Act compares to Imminent Domain, but my guess is neither offers fair compensation.

@wolfhnd why would someone on social security be entitled to less compensation for an eminent domain seizure?

@tenslein

They wouldn't be, that's the point. Past government compensation for something unrelated is irrelevant.

@wolfhnd Oh, I see your point now.

The principal that applies here would be how imminent domain is generally handled. In imminent domain you are compensated for your property based on sales of similar properties plus the cost of temporary rental and other expenses. In addition to a percentage above value and expenses there is compensation for punitive damages (emotional attachment and stress).

I agree with this. What if you were a lawyer for GM and you were fighting the federal government on how much your company should be paid. How would you make the argument that GM should be generously compensated? Imagine that the state’s lawyer is arguing that it’s GM’s responsibility to help the country in times of crisis, so therefore the government can order GM to do things as long as they pay the regular amount.

For me, I would try to equivocate the government’s demands with imposing temporary slavery onto GM since slavery is something that all judges would recognize as evil.

@tenslein

I'm not familiar with the applicable law. I'm also too lazy to research it 🙂

Recent Visitors 11

Photos 516 More

Posted by CourseofEmpireA little weird. All of them ina nation that is overwhelmingly Eastern Orthodox? Shouldn’t there be more of them in there instead?

Posted by InspirationHow do you explain this.

Posted by CourseofEmpireIf the international banking cartel says that you aren't allowed to have a bank account, it means you are a threat.

Posted by CourseofEmpireThis should be our objective

Posted by CourseofEmpireProposed measures to reduce fertility in the US, 1967. "Too Many Americans."

Posted by CourseofEmpireA little pita bread, tsaziki, souvlaki, mmmm, quite tasty; not sure about the social media platform though. ;)

Posted by CourseofEmpireI mean, is he really wrong?

Posted by CourseofEmpireThere are reports many larger cities are starting to see an outward drift. Maybe the early stages of this? ;)

Posted by CourseofEmpireWhy can’t C-19 vaccine mandates be taken seriously?

Posted by CourseofEmpireWarren is one of the inventors of mRNA and he believes 1 to 2 billion will die from this vaxx. [twitter.com]

Posted by CourseofEmpireThe vast majority are vaxxed. This can’t be the unvaxxed who are mostly dying. Remember, they are a few months ahead of the Northern hemisphere.

Posted by CourseofEmpireAwesome 😂

Posted by CourseofEmpireWeimar (yes, THAT Weimar) will no longer report numbers of vaxxed people being hospitalized for COVID because the truth might be used for "misinformation." -Lovecraft's Cat

Posted by CourseofEmpireAny cause. This is an amazing vaccination, you are almost invincible if you get it, everyone (except a few little side effects and such)! 😂

Posted by CourseofEmpireHow long before a politician is physically attacked and even killed for mandating vaccines? [news.com.au]

Posted by CourseofEmpireNotice how much things increased with this one vaccine?

• Top tags#video #world #media #government #hope #biden #money #Police #youtube #reason #truth #death #god #culture #rights #whites #democrats #society #China #politics #USA #freedom #vote #evidence #Canada #children #videos #TheTruth #liberal #racist #nation #evil #fear #kids #racism #chinese #friends #hell #conservative #community #crime #propaganda #justice #Christian #book #population #religion #FreeSpeech #antifa #violence ...

Members 1,889Top